Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #1546
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The developer certificate was over-written by the Amazon update -
For some reason - the components of the "hotfix" package **should** have re-installed it.
(**IF** you ran the hotfix package during jailbreaking).

At the worse - you might have had to re-boot the device after the update.

Without the auto-reinstall of the developer certificate - selecting 'reset' wiped the components from the hotfix package.

You are now back to stock.

Serial port jailbreak or sell this one as stock and buy another (Amazon is still shipping PW-3s with earlier than 5.6.5 firmware).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #1547
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@sk8terek: Wait, 5.7.5.1?

Gah. Will update the hotfix and keep you posted.

EDIT: No such thing available on Amazon's software update page. Double-check your FW version, double-check your exact Kindle model, make sure you have the very latest JB hotfix package, and report back.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-05-2016 at 08:38 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #1548
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8terek View Post
When I copy Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin, which I used on 5.6.5, and eject the device, an "Update Error" pops out saying "An invalid update file has been loaded on your device..." The UYT option is grayed out as well...

There. Ditch that one, and download an up to date hotfix package instead.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #1549
sk8terek
sk8terek began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
@NiLuJe

My bad, it's 5.7.4.1 (2937220006) actually. Serial number starts from G090G1

The sequence was as follows:

just-bought Kindle PW3 with 5.6.5 firmware -> JB -> JB hotfix (Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin) -> KUAL and add-ons -> update to 5.7.4.1 -> factory reset

Last edited by sk8terek; 06-05-2016 at 09:52 AM.
sk8terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #1550
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
I am fairly sure that a factory reset will wipe out the jailbreak. So guess you get to do the serial port jailbreak.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #1551
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@NiLuJe

My bad, it's 5.7.4.1 (2937220006) actually. Serial number starts from G090G1

The sequence was as follows:

just-bought Kindle PW3 with 5.6.5 firmware -> JB -> JB hotfix (Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.14.N_install.bin) -> KUAL and add-ons -> update to 5.7.4.1 -> factory reset
The update to 5.7.4.1 wiped the developer's signature certificate.
But the update should have ended with a device re-boot.
That re-boot would have restored the developer's signature certificate.
Then the reset wiped the self-reinstall code, but at this point, the certificate file had already been re-installed.

The device is at the same point it was when you had done the first step of the software jail break -
So now do the second step (again) - apply the 'hotfix' package (NOT MKK, the HOTFIX package).

Same-same instruction you have been given at least twice in the above posts.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:51 AM   #1552
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Unfortunately I've accidentaly performed a factory reset and [...]
This is something I read from time to time, and surprisingly much more often than I thought possible...
How is it possible that someone accidentally performs a factory reset??? It is not something that can happen with the slip of a finger over the wrong button, is it? So how can so many people do that accidentally?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #1553
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
This is something I read from time to time, and surprisingly much more often than I thought possible...
How is it possible that someone accidentally performs a factory reset??? It is not something that can happen with the slip of a finger over the wrong button, is it? So how can so many people do that accidentally?
Yes, it is.
'Reset' and 'Restart' are adjacent menu choices on the setting dropdown menu.

A little bit of finger shake, a slightly too sensitive touch screen and approaching 'Restart' from the 'Reset' side of the menu ...

Yup - all to easy - people should stick with holding the power button pressed and picking 'Restart' from that pop-up panel.
But the IG (instant gratification) generation has trouble "wasting" the 7 seconds it takes for the pop-up panel to appear.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #1554
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I personally always enable Parental Control *just* to disable that pesky "Reset" entry.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #1555
sk8terek
sk8terek began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
@NiLuJe @knc1

I put hotfix .bin file (JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip attached to THIS post, then extracted) but after I eject the device I get the update error.

I don't exactly remember applying the hotfix after jaibreaking on 5.6.5 (but I see a hotfix file in my kindle-stuff folder that was created on the same day I performed JB so I'm pretty sure i did so; I updated my device several days ago). Let's suppose I did not apply that. What then? Serial JB?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2016_06_06T19_59_29+0200.png
Views:	276
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	149266  
sk8terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #1556
knc1
Going Viral

Serial jail break.

If it had been installed, you would have seen an on-screen message about the jail break being re-installed during the re-boot after the Amazon update.

= = = =

We are trying to tell the difference between:
*) Message was there, but you didn't notice it
*) Message was not there.

I am betting on #2 right now.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 AM   #1557
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes, it is.
'Reset' and 'Restart' are adjacent menu choices on the setting dropdown menu.

A little bit of finger shake, a slightly too sensitive touch screen and approaching 'Restart' from the 'Reset' side of the menu ...
You mean it just resets not even asking the classic "are you sure you want to reset?" questions???

Quote:
Yup - all to easy - people should stick with holding the power button pressed and picking 'Restart' from that pop-up panel.
But the IG (instant gratification) generation has trouble "wasting" the 7 seconds it takes for the pop-up panel to appear.
That's what I do in the rare cases I want to restart... Sad to hear I am old gen.

However, I must say the old-gen way it's also more comfortable than tapping 5 times different zones of the screen to make it restart. I just tried. And how much of those 7 seconds you save? I'd say 2 at most...
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #1558
knc1
Going Viral

Plus -
It gives you those 7 seconds with your finger on the button to reconsider what you are doing.
I like that.

I also did not know about what NiLuJe recommends -
that enabling parental controls disables the 'reset' menu entry.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #1559
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
I usually restart by launching a "reboot" in the ssh wifi console
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #1560
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@sk8terek: Assuming you don't have an exotic PW3 variant (check the wiki), in which case the hotfix install would have failed the first time around, too; then yeah, you're screwed.

@knc1: Yeah, once enabled, the parental controls are fine-grained enough to be able to disable just that without messing with the rest of the system . And if you ever forget the password, it's trivial to kill over SSH anyway .

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified