Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
bluesnews
Enthusiast
bluesnews began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
650 and screen protector

Is anyone using a screen protector with their sony 650 reader?

I am not sure how the screen protectors will effect the infrared beams on top of the screen.

Thanks
bluesnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
I have no idea whether a screen protector would interfer with the touchscreen. It'll almost certainly detract significantly from the visual quality of the screen by adding glare or murkiness, which makes the point of getting an E-Ink device somewhat moot.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'd consider getting/making a cover instead. I have an invisibleshield on my touchphone, it works well, but I would never put something like that on my reader. The screen is designed to withstand regular use of a stylus or finger, a soft cover will add very little bulk to your device, and it doesn't hamper you in everyday use.

A tip: I usually keep my reader in a soft cover in my jacket or backpack pocket while travelling, then I'll just fish out the reader while leaving the cover in the pocket. I basically employ the cover as a lining for wherever I keep the reader while not using it. This subtracts about 2 seconds total from a single reading session when I replace the device in my pocket.

I've never been in a situation were the screen was in danger of being scratched while reading, even when being jostled around standing on a full bus
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
yegon
Connoisseur
yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yegon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Out of curiousity, how susceptible to dirt (via fingers) are the touch screens? My previous reader was a trusty 505, the screen of which I rarely touched. I'm not not afraid of damage to my 650, but I'm a little concerned that it'll show signs of dirt with with repeated use of the touch screen, especially since theres no layer on it.
yegon is offline   Reply With Quote