Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
Question Borders Coupon Counterfeit?

The Borders store at Flatirons mall (Broomfield, CO) told me that the 30% off one item (10% of electronics) coupon is counterfeit. They honored it anyway, though. Has anyone else encountered this?
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
sammykrupa
Reader of the Reader
sammykrupa doesn't littersammykrupa doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
How is that possible? It is on the BORDERS WEBSITE!

Worked fine for me.

Silliness (-:
sammykrupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
mistergadgett
mistergadgett began at the beginning.

Hummm... it "appears" to be a Borders' website... but is it really? LOL.

Might have to run some "WHOIS" checks on the domain names to see if they make sense.

I really hope to be using that 30% (10% for electronics) at Borders for the Sony Reader very soon! It's a great deal! (better than buying off SonyStyle)

-mistergadgett
mistergadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
mistergadgett
mistergadgett began at the beginning.

Well... I only know of the coupon existing at www.visitborders.com. Has anyone else found it by starting at the actual Borders website?

www.visitborders.com is registered to an advertising agency called Flying Point Media. Kinda makes sense that Borders might have had them put up the website?

Hummm... I don't know. Sure would like the discount though. :-D

-mistergadgett
mistergadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
When I used my coupon, I saw another one in color that they had used earlier that day. However, it could have been printed on a color printer, as there was nothing but the coupon on the page. IIRC, the barcode scanner accepted it. I've also hunted around their websites at www.bordersstores.com and www.bordersgroupinc.com, and I couldn't find any mention of fraudulent coupons. I couldn't find a link to the www.visitborders.com website on either legit Borders websites.

Also, when I checked the www.visitborders.com website again, the expiration date had changed from 10-31-2006 to 11-5-2006. I think they're legit.

-William
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moates
When I used my coupon, I saw another one in color that they had used earlier that day. However, it could have been printed on a color printer, as there was nothing but the coupon on the page. IIRC, the barcode scanner accepted it. I've also hunted around their websites at www.bordersstores.com and www.bordersgroupinc.com, and I couldn't find any mention of fraudulent coupons. I couldn't find a link to the www.visitborders.com website on either legit Borders websites.

Also, when I checked the www.visitborders.com website again, the expiration date had changed from 10-31-2006 to 11-5-2006. I think they're legit.

-William
Did you click on the print and print out that coupon?
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 PM   #7
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing
Did you click on the print and print out that coupon?
I just tried printing the coupon two different ways:
1. Print from the web page by clicking on the red "Print" button.
2. Print from the menu by going to File > Print.

They both gave me a coupon, but Method 1 gave me a print-quality barcode (600 dpi), while Method 2 gave me a screen-quality barcode (96 dpi). Method 2 gave me a fuzzy bars and numbers, and Method 1 gave me a crisp barcode.

When I got my Reader, I used Method 1 to print out the coupon. Perhaps jmdor used Method 2? Or someone before him did so, making the cashier think the coupon was counterfeit. If Borders knows it's a fraud, they should mention it on their website.

-William
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:37 PM   #8
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
You know, I don't recall which one I did. I did think they should have posted it as "this coupon is fraudulent and won't be honored" on their doors or somewhere prominent. Nothing. I wonder if they were just making it up.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:48 AM   #9
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
They accepted the one I presented... No problems...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote