Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
noisy
noisy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
How dangerous can be programming for Kindle?

I want to split this in to two topics:

I know that developers can create Kindlets using java. AFAIK, registration on http://kdk.amazon.com/ is required. I heard that Kindlets can be dangerous. For instance statics are NEVER freed, thread with infinity loop is never killed.

Is that true?

However... I guess, that programms can be created in another native languages(C/C++?). I know that console IRC client, Irssi can be lounched on Kindle. Irssi was writen in C... What about statics and neverending threads in this area?
noisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I wouldn't call neither "dangerous". The Java side has its caveats, but in the worst case, you would have to reboot (or restart framework, to be exact).

For native applications, the situation is different. Of course, you can also create endless loops, claim a whole bunch of static memory, etc. etc. You could create good ol' fork bombs and all that stuff. The platform has no belts to stop you there, you're already behind the lines. But then OTOH there's no difference to the apps running on your desktop computer.

So the most dangerous things about either is hurting battery life and performance (both not permanent), maybe forcing you to do a reboot. Well, the usual stuff that happens when code is written badly. And remember, all code is. Even Amazon's :-) (yes, this is more joking than anything else, but there's a true thing in it)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote