Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
txtr launch on the Book-Fair in Frankfurt

A press release from german startup "Wizpac" just arrived in my mailbox. It contains lots of new information about the newest eink device, the so-called txtr which made it's debut on the Book-Fair in Frankfurt today.

Apart from pricing and release-date information it also gives us some more tec-specs, book selection information and some insight into how the wireless book browsing and purchasing is supposed to work and what kind of subscription cost can be expected.

Here are some tidbits from the press-release:

The txtr will

- start selling on December 1.
- cost 319€
- initially be available in Europe and the US
- come with the txtr store that you can browse directly on the device (but for now ony in Germany, more countries to follow)
- come with optional service plans for wireless ranging from 11.99€ to 14.99€ per month depending on the length of the subscription period
- come with 8GB SD card
- weigh 300 grams
- offer a 6" 16 Greyscale eink screen
- be splash water protected

I'll attach the german press release to this post for all the details.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pressemitteilung Txtr Frankfurter Buchmesse Final.pdf (64.8 KB, 1105 views)

Last edited by CommanderROR; 10-15-2009 at 07:44 PM.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, it's finally almost here !! a bit more expensive than i was hoping, but i'm sure the price will go down after a while. i can't wait to hear the reviews !

thanks for the update !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Exciting news indeed. Sadly I could not go to Frankfurt and look at it in person..work interfered this time...
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

stupid work ! sheesh, as if we don't have more important things to do with our time. well, hopefully you'll be able to see it somewhere, soon. i'm really looking forward to hearing your reaction ; this is one of the devices i've been following with a lot of interest.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
No mention of bluetooth or WiFi? This can be bad. I am not interested in paying a data subscription plan since I alread have flat rate on my phone.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
€319! What are they smokin'! That's $475 US!
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
well, we don't know if the US price will be the same, but, ah, you do know that sony charges us 299 for the same model that you pay 299$ for, right ?
Old 10-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Perusing the press release I see the supported formats are pdf, epub, doc and powerpoint. Looks like their store will be epub. I did not see any reference to DRM, but I also cannot read German.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

The subscription is optional and only neccessary for certain activities if I read the text correctly. Buying books over the air is always free (apart from the book price of course) as far as I understood...but I'm too tired right now to really try and really comprehend the entire text...
Old 10-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
No mention of bluetooth or WiFi? This can be bad. I am not interested in paying a data subscription plan since I alread have flat rate on my phone.
The developer site claims it will have WiFi, Bluetooth and even NFC.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
hallali
Connoisseur
hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hallali has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Es ist das PB 302, ich schiele aber schon auf das 360
They didnt mention DRM. They only said that the txtr shop will focus on epub.
hallali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #12
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, we don't know if the US price will be the same, but, ah, you do know that sony charges us 299 for the same model that you pay 299$ for, right ?
Ah! But you can get the Sony for 229 pounds, which is €246, which is $346 USD, which is a mind-boggling 13, 814 Yen that you can have converted to 1,234 Malaysian Ringgets . . .

So yeah . . . you pretty much get screwed.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
The developer site claims it will have WiFi, Bluetooth and even NFC.
This looks very good. The question that will decide if I buy one is how open it is? Will I be able to access everything to write my own applications?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Well in all fairness the US dollar is back in the dumps again (and will remain so as long as they keep printing so much money and getting massive loans from the Chinese)
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This looks very good. The question that will decide if I buy one is how open it is? Will I be able to access everything to write my own applications?
Looks like it.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote