Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #91
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just simply run it through calibre, thus:
Lovely! Thank you, Dr. Drib. So much easier to read.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #92
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Right. I wasn't clear in my language.

Calibre cleaned that issue up.

....but to release a book without any indents.....

Don
Calibre wouldn't even crack the DRM on my copy. Do I need to update my plugins?
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #93
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Calibre doesn't do DRM. You have to do that part yourself, first. (as I remember)

I gather that the book had extra line spaces between paragraphs, instead of indents? (If not, even Calibre wouldn't have known where the PUT those indents.) I prefer that style in paper reading, but I agree that indents work better on the smaller area in an e-reader.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #94
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Calibre doesn't do DRM. You have to do that part yourself, first. (as I remember)
It doesn't do it "out of the box", but there are plugins which remove DRM automatically when a file is added to Calibre.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #95
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ooooooh. Sorry.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #96
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I gather that the book had extra line spaces between paragraphs, instead of indents?
There are no apparent line spaces between paragraphs. Calibre indented each paragraph, making them easier to read.

Last edited by BelleZora; 11-24-2012 at 09:27 AM.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #97
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
Calibre wouldn't even crack the DRM on my copy. Do I need to update my plugins?
Never mind. I found the problem.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #98
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
The code for indent is already there, but text-indent is set twice in the css-file for that class.

Spoiler:
Code:
p.indent
{
text-indent:15.0px;
text-align: justify;
margin-top:0.0px;
margin-bottom:0.0px;
font-size:small;
text-indent:0.0px;
}

If you use sigil, or tweak epub in calibre, it's easy to fix the missing indent. Just remove text-indent:0.0px;

It's a great series, though I like the first three more than the rest. They can be a bit graphic, a scene in the first book I read (no 2) made me nauseous while reading it.
Spoiler:
A guy gets his fingers clipped of with gardening shears, and are made to eat them.

I don't normally get nauseous like that, and the cannibal-book (Flesh House) didn't bother me at all
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #99
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Much thanks to everyone for providing the help in the getting this horrible file fixed.

Now back to the freebies and deals.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #100
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Cold Granite (Logan McRae, Book 1) by Stuart MacBride is free at Kobo and B&N. HarperCollins.

Sadly it's not free on Kobo in Australia.
I had a look at B&N and it was free and after fluffing around to set up a B&N account with a fake address (which I will never be able to use as I live in Australia and so they won't actually SELL anything to me) I downloaded the book but somehow managed to forget about B&N DRM!

Honestly don't know if I have the energy left to go see if Alf can help me - might be easier to forget about this one...
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #101
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
It isn't free on Kobo in Canada either.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frddgls View Post
It isn't free on Kobo in Canada either.
I see it as free at Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #103
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I see it as free at Kobo.
Strange it shows as $3.99 for me.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #104
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Dr. Drib means that he converted the book in calibre to add the indents that he wanted.
I meant it was weird it had no indents - from a major publisher, HarperCollins. Bah.

ETA: I'm reading this one now, Puppets by Daniel Hecht for $1.99. Really good book, good writing, grabs you from the start, but the formatting issues are terrible. Words run together or split up in weird ways. It took me a minute to figure out that "as allow-faced jerk" was supposed to be "a sallow-faced jerk." "someone else would be Anthe second floor." Okayyyy. These are every few pages. Really ruining it. Publisher is Bloomsbury USA. I have some of their other books, and I hope they're not all like that.

Last edited by NightBird; 11-20-2012 at 11:12 PM.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:04 AM   #105
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Two more Robert W. Walker freebies from his Dean Grant series:

Scalpers (Dean Grant #2)

Quote:
BLOOD RITES

There seemed to be no reason behind the series of grisly murders plaguing Orlando. The victims were young and old, women and men, destitute and well-off. Only two shocking similarities linked the deceased; before dying, they had been horribly brutalized..and they were all found with their scalps removed.

SLICE OF DEATH

Medical Examiner Dr. Dean Grant had previous success teaming with police to hunt down serial killers. But a maniac is lurking in the shadows, secretly studying the M.E.'s every move. And if Grant doesn't crack the gruesome case very soon, he could end up the next victim...
Front Burners (Dean Grant #3)

Quote:
BURNING OBSESSION

The killer loved seeing his victims ablaze, gleefully watching as their bodies were consumed by hungry, merciless flames. Later his pulse would race at the sight of the orange glow in the night sky, and the sounds of the fire engines as they screamed toward the raging infernos he had created.

FLAMING DESTRUCTION

Chicago coroner Dr. Dean Grant had seen many gruesome things in his time. But nothing had prepared him for the nightmares of smoldering horror that were spread out on the morgue slabs in front of him. The heat was on, and if the brilliant M.E. couldn't uncover the identity of the lunatic responsible, the maniac's fiery reign of terror would continue--and now Grant's name was emblazoned at the top of his death list...
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote