Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Special Offers outside the US

My trusty old kindle is dying, so I'm replacing it with a Paperwhite.

From what I've understood the 'Special Offers' are pretty non-intrusive, and generally a good buy. However, I live in Switzerland, and I wonder if it'll work here. (I'm buying it through 'borderlinx', a packet forwarding service.) I'm getting the WiFi version, so in theory it should work just like if I was in the US, right?

Or is there some hidden catch?

Should I cough up the extra USD20 for the non-ad version?
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
From what I know, if you register it to an account which is not a US resident, the adverts never activate, and it works as a normal paid up Kindle. I'm not sure if you can change account later and not get ads.

But yeah, I know people who have used forwarding mailboxes to get KSOs and have never had ads.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I get ads on my K4SO, but they aren't intrusive in any way, I actually prefer it to the dead authors on the K3.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
From what I know, if you register it to an account which is not a US resident, the adverts never activate, and it works as a normal paid up Kindle. I'm not sure if you can change account later and not get ads.
No, that's incorrect. You get the ads regardless of where your account is registered. I have a Kindle Touch with Special Offers; my Amazon account is in the UK, and I get the ads (which I prefer to the normal screensavers - they're a lot more varied).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
OK.

I ordered the Paperwhite SO, which sounds like a good deal.

Now I just have to wait for over a month for it to arrive...
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
OK.

I ordered the Paperwhite SO, which sounds like a good deal.

Now I just have to wait for over a month for it to arrive...
Most of us are waiting for that long unless you ordered on the first day.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
One thing to consider ... I got the Kindle Keyboard 3G Special offers through a friend from the US - the 50$ price difference really made it really worthwile at that time. Plus, I actually found the ads cool.

All was fine until ... it broke after 3 weeks when I put it into my bag together with my iPad and iPod, not knowing that the average Kindle's screen is unfortunately nowhere as stable as a raw egg.

I called Amazon Kindle service, they said, sure, no problem, we'll replace it free of charge. One coming to your address soon ... then they called again and said "sorry, there's no way to get a special offers kindle in Europe", so they could only replace it in the US ... and I had to wait for some time when another colleague came from the US to Germany.

So for just a 20$ time difference, I'd rather go the "safe" route, and have ordered the normal version of the paperwhite this time. Most likely this will be released earlier in Europe than the special offers version.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 09-18-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Eh, I'd say go with the ads. You may find something advertised that you like at some point in time! And, if they bring back the actual "special offers" part, there might be some good discounts on stuff.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that's incorrect. You get the ads regardless of where your account is registered. I have a Kindle Touch with Special Offers; my Amazon account is in the UK, and I get the ads (which I prefer to the normal screensavers - they're a lot more varied).
One of my k3's is a SO, still no ads at all, even after registering it (US). Another friend got one from an importer, not his amazon account which is set for SA (and utterly useless) also has no ads.

Maybe we're special v0v.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
special offers