Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
But the T1 is so good.....there isn't much they could do to improve it! HD screen would be nice.
A plastic backed HD screen would be very nice.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #77
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Is there such a thing as "HD" eInk? I mean dpi density in the same league as the Nexus 7?
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Is there such a thing as "HD" eInk? I mean dpi density in the same league as the Nexus 7?
There is a 1024x768 resolution 6" screen made by LG.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 AM   #79
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
But the T1 is so good.....there isn't much they could do to improve it! HD screen would be nice.
Auto-delivery of periodical content.
3g.
A bigger-screen option, like the 950.
A stylus built into the case.
Glow screen.
An annotation-export system that actually works.

There is plenty they could do indeed...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 AM   #80
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Isn't the screen of the T1 a whole lot better than those older models though?

I'm looking forward to a new Sony because I'll hopefully be able to pick up a used T1 for cheap so I can root it and have a play about with it, no way I want to spend over £100 on a new one to do that! The prices of used 350/650s (and even older models) are still fairly high though so I think I may end up disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Mmm...poutine.
gravy and cheese? Yuck!
gravy OR cheese - yum!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #81
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Ah, but the 3/650 range were a design classic, in my opinion, just a beautifully engineered bit of kit.

But, sadly, wildly expensive - but irresistable.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #82
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
gravy and cheese? Yuck!
gravy OR cheese - yum!
You missed the main ingredient... It's gravy and fresh cheese curds AND french fries. Not a gastronomic feast IMO, but plenty of people who've tried it, love it....

I'm happy with my T1 as it is, having wifi and the touch screen (which my 505 didn't have) is basically all I could wish for in an e-ink reader. Since I have a tablet(s) the other features that could be added to an e-ink device wouldn't be enough to make me change my T1 for a newer model.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #83
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
There is plenty they could do indeed...
Very much so.
Front lighting is very likely. (A good implementation this time.)
The LG screens are in limited supply but at Sony's current sales rates it is a viable possibility.

On the software side, shipping them unlocked with more Android app space would sell a ton even if they did nothing else.
At a minimum they'll likely add some epub3 support.

Of course, they might just go with matte plastic cases and a lower list price.
With Sony, you never know...

I'd bet on front lighting and epub3 support, though. Not enough to get me to move from my T1 but it would let them keep the industry leaders in sight. (Close follower strategy.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #84
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Very much so.
Front lighting is very likely. (A good implementation this time.)
The LG screens are in limited supply but at Sony's current sales rates it is a viable possibility.

On the software side, shipping them unlocked with more Android app space would sell a ton even if they did nothing else.
At a minimum they'll likely add some epub3 support.

Of course, they might just go with matte plastic cases and a lower list price.
With Sony, you never know...

I'd bet on front lighting and epub3 support, though. Not enough to get me to move from my T1 but it would let them keep the industry leaders in sight. (Close follower strategy.)

I would buy front-lighting. I have played with a nook glow recently and I like the feel of it a lot.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #85
kanoodle
kanoodle began at the beginning.

Device: sony
I have the prs 700 with the light and it does drain the battery but I don't use it much because of that. I was going to get the newer one with the wifi but the new one doesn't have rtf format in it. I love my reader as I have had it for a few years. I have been having problems converting from rtf to epub with calibre as it adds characters into book that don't belong. So until I can get a reader that supports rtf because I can bold it and have any size font I want I will keep old reader.
kanoodle is offline   Reply With Quote