Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #1
GoversAU
Enthusiast
GoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Oasis
Kindles shipped directly from China?

This is interesting from another forum:

"...ordered online from amazon.com (International Orders). The DHL label says shipped from Amazon Export Sales in Lexington, Kentucky but when I traced from the Amazon page and also the DHL page it was shipped from Shenzhen, China within a few hours of submitting the order. I assume that is where the kindle factory is?"
GoversAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it depends on where you order from as to where a Kindle ships from. Since (from your info.)you are in Australia China was probably the closest shipping point. In my case I live in Monroe Wisconsin and it was shipped from Indianapolis Indiana, which I assume is the closest shipping point to me. I think they are manufactured somewhere in China (or at least some of the parts are) though. Hard to say where anything is really 'made' now days.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
GoversAU
Enthusiast
GoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it isGoversAU knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
... Hard to say where anything is really 'made' now days.
Ha. So true!
GoversAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
I don't remember where my Kindle came from, but when I recently ordered a cable adapter for my father-in-law's iPad it came straight from China, to us here in Maryland. I'm sure Apple has warehouses closer than that, but maybe not stocked with every last item in their inventory.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Hard to say where anything is really 'made' now days.
It's widely reported that Amazon's Lab126.com designs are manufactured by Foxconn, a well-known enormous company headquartered in New Taipei, Taiwan but with most of its hundreds of thousands of workers at several campuses in Shenzhen China. To start finding out more, here is a K3-friendly news story link:

http://www.readingthenet.com/mob?ct=...s-Foxconn.aspx

However, there is a little to your "hard to say" comment in that I kind Amazon to be a rather secretive company. You won't find Amazon executives explaining how they work with their manufacturer.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert