Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Pixel 4a
ereader for Windows with black background

Is there an ereader for Windows that works with epub (or something I can easily convert from epub), has a reasonable page size and a black background that fills the screen? Most readers have controls or other distractions or expand the text to full screen if the app is expanded to full screen.

Microsoft's reader has the appearance I want, but only reads books in its lit format

Click image for larger version

Name:	read.png
Views:	564
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	77864
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Is there an ereader for Windows that works with epub (or something I can easily convert from epub), has a reasonable page size and a black background that fills the screen? Most readers have controls or other distractions or expand the text to full screen if the app is expanded to full screen.
The epub viewer in the Sony Reader Library has a plain black background when expanded to full screen.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
foosion
Connoisseur
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

On my machine, the Sony Reader has a light bluish gray background, which is fine. It either displays one page very wide, which I find hard to read, or two pages, which is preferable. I'm mainly looking for not overly wide pages with no distracting background.

I can't figure a way to use the keyboard to go to the next page - I seem to need to click either at the bottom or the right with the mouse to advance pages.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
I can't figure a way to use the keyboard to go to the next page - I seem to need to click either at the bottom or the right with the mouse to advance pages.
The left - right - up - down - pgDN - pgUP - Home - End keys work for me (Sony Reader Library ver 3.2).
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
foosion
Connoisseur

I downloaded Sony Reader from http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ which links
http://info.update.sony.net/DR001/RE...rInstaller.exe

Mine says version 1.1. Left and right keys work, but up, down, pgUp and pgDn do nothing.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I downloaded Sony Reader from http://ebookstore.sony.com/download/ which links
http://info.update.sony.net/DR001/RE...rInstaller.exe

Mine says version 1.1. Left and right keys work, but up, down, pgUp and pgDn do nothing.
Mine says 3.3 but it works the similar to yours. Only the 4 separate arrow keys work. If the window is made smaller than a page the up/down arrow keys will scroll and then change the page while the left/right always change pages. If the window is bigger than the screen size then they behave the same and change pages. If the window is zoomed full size the the page floats at the same size inside the window. If the zoom button inside the application is tapped then the window is zoomed full size but the reading window is also zoomed to fit the screen, maintain aspect ratio so the text is made larger permitting you to decrease its size if you wish. Of course the mouse also works. the scroll bar on the mouse behaves like the up/down arrow keys making it a good way to change pages.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 10-20-2011 at 06:59 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
cotyleus
Master of Disaster
cotyleus began at the beginning.

Device: my desktop computer
Quote:

Microsoft's reader has the appearance I want, but only reads books in its lit format

Attachment 77864
Foosion,
I've got a question for you. I too love the black background format on the MS Reader. Which windows are you using. I only ask because I'm trying to figure out[before trying to install it and having my new computer...hiccup] whether my new Win7 machine will accept the slightly older version of MS Reader I have without crashing my new machine..which I'd find...disturbing.
cotyleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
foosion
Connoisseur

I'm using Windows XP.

FWIW, I've come to like the Sony Reader for epub. Although the background is not black, it is plain and not distracting.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm not sure if you can get quite that "floating page" effect, but I found FBReader to be by far the most configurable for Windows. I haven't worked with it in a while, but I would be surprised if you couldn't get pretty close to what you're seeking.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
foosion
Connoisseur

FBReader is highly configurable. Unfortunately, I can't get it to display left justified text, at least not on the first book I tried. Despite changing every formatting option I could find to left, it's showing center justified.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I haven't used FBReader in a while so I can't point you anywhere specific, but maybe you have it set to let publisher defaults override your settings, and that book happens to default as center justified.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
foosion
Connoisseur

I've explicitly set it to left justify. Settings - Format - Alignment - many setttings

I'll add that Sony Reader displays the book correctly.

Last edited by foosion; 10-28-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
FBReader is highly configurable. Unfortunately, I can't get it to display left justified text, at least not on the first book I tried. Despite changing every formatting option I could find to left, it's showing center justified.
This is likely a bug in FBReader. I sometimes see ePub's and MOBI's that appear to be well formatted (e.g. display ok in other reader apps) but show up centered in FBReader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote