Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #16
apeine
Enthusiast
apeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enoughapeine will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook STR
Wow, great article. Very well written, with lot of extra information (how to install, etc.), and very good for a beginner that intends to have his first gingerbread experience. As myself in the near future...
apeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #17
jhitesma
jhitesma began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic & Nook Color
There really isn't a one size fits all answer to "which ROM is best".

It depends on what you want/need from the NC which will serve you best.

One of the big questions is do you want to use it as intended (e-reader capable of reading B&N's magazines, kid books and your other ebooks) or are you looking to have a cheap android tablet and don't care about keeping it as an e-reader.

Personally I find the NC to be a lousy reader because I don't enjoy reading on LCD screens. I still switch back to my e-ink nook for reading.

Even so giving up magazines and childrens books isn't an option for me (my 10 month old daughter is already having a lot of fun with the childrens books - though honestly the ones in the android market are cheaper and better than B&N's.) And if you want to keep that then you need to keep the stock B&N.

I still have some uSD's made up with other ROM's to try but none of them have impressed me enough to make me want to give up on the rooted stock. CM7 is nice - but until someone can get the stock B&N reader software to play nice with it just isn't a full time option for me.

I really like the rooted stock experience the way I have it configured - softkeys with the hotspot disabled, launcher pro as the launcher. This way it still mostly looks/works like an android tablet...but it's also still quick and easy to access the stock B&N functions since the pop-up menu is still easily accessible. Being only 2.1 is a bit limiting but I can always pop in my CM7 SD if I want to run something that requires 2.2 or 2.3.

But that doesn't mean it's the best option for everyone (or even anyone) else. And that's important to keep in mind in these discussions. There is no hard and fast "best ROM" for everyone you have to think about what you want and based on that pick one that fits your needs best.
jhitesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #18
JawsOnt
JawsOnt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Colour (rooted), Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Quote:
Thank you very much for this informative article - it should be required reading for all about-to root Nook owners
x2 - any chance at a sticky? A REALLY well written set of articles on what NC OS's are out there, how to keep them up to date, the pro's and con's of various methods of install.
JawsOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:45 AM   #19
prof.nyla
prof.nyla began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Even so giving up magazines and childrens books isn't an option for me (my 10 month old daughter is already having a lot of fun with the childrens books - though honestly the ones in the android market are cheaper and better than B&N's.) And if you want to keep that then you need to keep the stock B&N.

So are you saying that if I go from Auto-nooter to CM7, I loose the ability to read my magazines and children's books on my NC??
prof.nyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #20
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof.nyla View Post
So are you saying that if I go from Auto-nooter to CM7, I loose the ability to read my magazines and children's books on my NC??
There are links in this thread to procedures for installing CyanogenMod7 onto a SD card. That gives you the possibility to boot into CM7 with the SD card or into your current Nook setup without the boot SD card. That way you can have it both ways.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #21
prof.nyla
prof.nyla began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thank you and Need more help!

Hello! I have been able to boot CM7 from an SD card, but now I cannot install any apps from the market. Well, none of the ones I'm looking for. I would like Kindle, Netflix, Angry Birds, Double Twist, and a few for my kids. I can find the apps, but when I select one from the list, I am told "Your device is not compatible with this item." Help!!! Thank you!
prof.nyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #22
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof.nyla View Post
Hello! I have been able to boot CM7 from an SD card, but now I cannot install any apps from the market. Well, none of the ones I'm looking for. I would like Kindle, Netflix, Angry Birds, Double Twist, and a few for my kids. I can find the apps, but when I select one from the list, I am told "Your device is not compatible with this item." Help!!! Thank you!
You can install one of the nightlies since 200 that changes LCD density to be compatible with the market, or use the LCD Density app (if you can download it) to temporarily set density to 160, then long-press your market icon, choose Application Info, and Clear Data.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote