Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2008, 03:31 AM   #1
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

What if you ran your bookstore like a library?

Interesting article about book stores, electronic books, and differing views on how to move with the times that are a changing:

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6547061.html
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by donovanh View Post
Interesting article about book stores, electronic books, and differing views on how to move with the times that are a changing:

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6547061.html
I see that the writer of this article is as ignorant as the writers of such rhetoric generally are; consider this "gem":

Quote:
As I mulled over these writers’ unexpected hostility toward normal, even healthy reader behavior, I was similarly struck by the reception to the launch of Amazon’s Kindle. I read the reviews and commentary and realized why I’d never buy one: it’s an expensive if lightweight box to carry a bunch of books that are rented at only a small savings over the cost of discounted print books. I say “rented” because the buyer can’t share them and can’t sell them. They can only shop at one bookstore, and it works only if the buyer happens to be in the parts of the United States that have the right sort of Sprint coverage. (Amazon to Montana: drop dead.)
Can only shop at one bookstore? Rubbish.
Only works if you have Sprint coverage? Rubbish

Why don't the people who write this kind of garbage take the time to do a little research?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
donovanh
Enthusiast
donovanh began at the beginning.

I have to agree on that point. The author didn't mention alternative reader devices either.

However I think it does reflect what I'm sure quite a large proportion of people *think* the Kindle is limited to.
donovanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If they think that it's probably through reading articles like that which feed them misinformation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can only shop at one bookstore? Rubbish.
If you buy the Kindle just because you want to buy the books from the Kindle than it is true. And if you do not want to have to convert between different formats then for most of the books available there is only one place to buy them.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Lobolover
Gorosei
Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Lobolover has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Microsoft Word
well,my Library isnt even run like a library,so I have no experience.
Lobolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
If you buy the Kindle just because you want to buy the books from the Kindle than it is true. And if you do not want to have to convert between different formats then for most of the books available there is only one place to buy them.
I think the issue is she's stating it as if you have no choice in the matter, when in fact you do.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I think the issue is she's stating it as if you have no choice in the matter, when in fact you do.
Yes, the point is overstated. But I think a slightly modified point is valid. In practice for a lot of people there want be a live choice.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Yes, the point is overstated. But I think a slightly modified point is valid. In practice for a lot of people there want be a live choice.
If you want a live choice, meaning instant download, then most everybody else has 0 choices, except with a hack to the iLiad. So for a comparison I don't believe that is the interpretation I would give. For content the Kindle can use Kindle sources and mobipocket non-DRM sources and in some cases vendors offer even DRM sources. For live download I believe Hadrien's site now does live downloads to the kindle and to the iLiad.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you want a live choice, meaning instant download, then most everybody else has 0 choices, except with a hack to the iLiad. So for a comparison I don't believe that is the interpretation I would give. For content the Kindle can use Kindle sources and mobipocket non-DRM sources and in some cases vendors offer even DRM sources. For live download I believe Hadrien's site now does live downloads to the kindle and to the iLiad.
No, I meant "live choice" in the philosophical sense. For a lot of people it is not an alternative to buy a lit file and convert to MobiPocket format for example.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, I meant "live choice" in the philosophical sense. For a lot of people it is not an alternative to buy a lit file and convert to MobiPocket format for example.
OK then there are several choices for kindle books since it can directly read MobiPocket format. Some people never buy an actual Kindle book and get by just fine. All of the Mobilpocket uploads on this site, for example, will work on a Kindle.

Dale
Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
Trenien
Groupie
Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Trenien could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Librie, eReader, Kobo Glo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you limited to Amazon, and Spring covered areas, if you wish to use the full extent of the kindle capabilities - i.e. wirelessly download a book on a whim?
Trenien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
OK then there are several choices for kindle books since it can directly read MobiPocket format. Some people never buy an actual Kindle book and get by just fine. All of the Mobilpocket uploads on this site, for example, will work on a Kindle.
The original statment I commented was "Can only shop at one bookstore? Rubbish." So just downloading free stuff does not count since it is not shopping.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The original statment I commented was "Can only shop at one bookstore? Rubbish." So just downloading free stuff does not count since it is not shopping.
There are many bookstores that sell eBooks that will work on the Kindle even if you don't count free eBooks. You can even buy DRM books from several of them. Amazon is not the only source of eBooks for the Kindle. Fictionwise is one of them for example.

Dale
Old 04-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Heck, I've purchased about a dozen Kindle books from Amazon because of price but the thousands, yes thousands, of other books were purchased at other sites (mostly Fictionwise) or downloaded from free (legal) sites. Except for the Amazon books, all were loaded via my USB connection.

There's a lot of misinformation and people tend to hit the return/enter key before checking the facts.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote