Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Here, let me explain something I figured out with the developer's package.
1. When the developer's package is requested, it will modify /mnt/settings/registry/registry.xml and add some lines to make shell script runnable from contentlister.
2. If the modifying process not completed, it will corrupt registry.xml. When iLiad boot up, it will check if registry.xml is valid. If not valid, it will try to read the previous working backup. If loading of the previous backup of registry.xml also fails, iLiad becomes a brick.
3. Reflash-from-CF with "format" option will clear both the root file-system (/dev/tffsa1) and /mnt (/mnt/tffsa7). If it's done, iLiad got reprogrammed and everything should be fine again.

iRex can do the reprogramming in some other way, not with CF, but through cable, I guess.

If your iLiad is hardware-healthy, a successful reflash-from-CF will do the reprogramming. Check if your CF is good. Check if reflash-contents is good. Check if you press the CONNECT button correctly to trigger iLiad load reflash-contents from CF. If these steps don't make things better, there is nothing you can do to save your iLiad.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
The impression I had from the original post is that the SDK was originally installed long before the problem showed up. It didn't sound to me like it was related to the SDK install causing a problem with the registry.

checktheblues, is that correct?

Maybe something happened recently when they reflashed and re-downloaded the SDK, but that still wouldn't explain why the problem originally happened.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
I didn't mean to explain the original cause of checktheblues's problem. I just tried to explain what may happen when requesting developer's package and why it happens.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #19
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Eric: I formatted my Cf-card- got a clean cf-cardcontents- unzipped it- images and config. On the CF-card. With notepad ++ I deleted all on the config. And typed format . I looked again at ‘how to reflash your iLiad’ and I tried to reflash, but the screen remained frozen. While reflashing, the screen refreshed itself a few times.

Shaggy: Yes, I requested the SDK a long time ago and apart from some trouble earlier this year my iLiad has always been reliable and good.
The only incident I can think of has to do with a corrupt epubfile. I am on a forum: ereaders.nl (as chucktheblues) and about two weeks ago the news was, that a Dutch newspaper, De Telegraaf, had made a testversion in epub-format. I downloaded that on my iLiad and I only got 1698 pages, but couldn’t open it. Other members on the forum, with different ereaders, were having trouble as well. One of them remarked that the epub was a ‘dirty’ conversion and his testversion was 3460 pages; so something must be wrong with my Fbreader. Afterwards I did read some books, but mostly mobi.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #20
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I didn't mean to explain the original cause of checktheblues's problem. I just tried to explain what may happen when requesting developer's package and why it happens.
No problem, it's definitely good information to know.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #21
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
checktheblues, I'd be interested to see your complete logfile.txt. Will you post it, please?
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #22
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cbell. I don't have the complete logfile.txt anymore; my PC also had some problems. It was something like: Back to clear Irex default.......
It went wrong after the second reflash/format and receiving the SDK. I tried the IDS-connection then and the startscreen just froze up. What I can do with my iLiad now is:
-- turn it off with the reset on the back, turn it on with the on/off slide
-- while reflashing/format the startscreen (with 'welcome') refreshes till I let go of the connect button
-- I tried to reset, in between the screen-refreshes, while I held the connect button and the on/off slide
-- on or off: the startscreen remains frozen.
Well, I do hope my iLiad isn"t dead yet, as I travelled all over the world with it. Perhaps Irex makes a restart and clears all the repairtickets?
We'll see.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #23
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Yes. I hope so, too
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:35 AM   #24
desertblues
Home for the moment

It is rather difficult for me to give up on my iLiad. Despite the fact that I don"t know that much about computers, I always got him to work again after some, or lots of time(with help from forum or iRex). I have the feeling that if I can get my PC to recognize him again, I can get a better view on what's going om wih him. I would appreciate any ideas, how far fetched it may seem, on this communication?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #25
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Ok, another shot in the dark.
I did not like this
Quote:
On the CF-card. With notepad ++ I deleted all on the config. And typed format
Sometimes I had problems editing files directly on CF-card: content might be lost, file becomes corrupted etc. Can you change the file on normal PC and then transfer the corrected one to CF? Notepad++ should work fine.

and maybe there's a problem with Windows/UNIX endline symbol. The best would be if you use dos2unix against the config file. I attach the windows binary, just do in the command line dos2unix.exe config.

So, the condensed version:
1. change config file on your machine with Notepad++
2. dos2unix config
3. transfer to CF
Attached Files
File Type: zip utils.zip (4.6 KB, 156 views)
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #26
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Notepad++ can show line-endings View->Show Symbol->Show all characters. Notepad++ can also convert from windows to unix format Format->Convert to UNIX Format. Sometimes with a mixed-file, Notepad does not know what to do, then first convert to Windows then Unix will mostly solve this problem.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #27
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
My bad, haven't been working much with Notepad++. Sure, Mackx suggests a better way of dealing with the conversion.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #28
desertblues
Home for the moment

Thank you Dima and Mackx: I converted logfile to Unixformat on my PC, deleted all and typed format .I tried to reflash with format, but my iLiad reacted the same as before: refreshed its start screen e few times while I held the connect and on/off slide. Why is it I still can request the SDK ( my mac adress appears on the screen and tells me the SDK is succesfully sent )? Does that mean the iLiad still is able to connect ? But nothing happens.