Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Beezie Maddox
Beezie Maddox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 1; basic Kindle 4; Nook ST
Question about warranty

My PW 1st gen was having some bad battery issues so Amazon is sending out a replacement. I never got around to jailbreaking it or anything that would void the warranty, but I'm curious about whether I can get a new warranty for the replacement or whether it will automatically expire a year after I received the original, which will be a matter of weeks after I receive the replacement.

TIA
Beezie Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
When they replace my K3 the warrant stopped 1 year After the Org purchased K3 & they also would not cover the reason I had to return it.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The warranty is from the date of the original purchase.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
To be precise, the Kindle warranty expires one year after original shipping date, not order date. This can be an important distinction when you pre-order devices that aren't shipped until several weeks later.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Amazon did replace a Kindle for me a couple of months out-of-warranty for a mechanical problem -- a really minor one, actually -- a page turn button was getting soggy. It still worked fine, but once those micro-switches stop "clicking" failure is often not far off. Amazon sent me a replacement the day following my call. Actually, don't call them. Use Kindle customer service, and have them call you. They call you immediately. On your account page, go to Kindle Help Home, etc.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There have been reports of Amazon replacing units that are long out of warranty. It has been a while since I have read them but it was not unusual to hear of K2's being replaced free of charge by Amazon 6 months to a year after the warrenty ended.

This wasn't universal. I suspect that people who bought many Kindles or Kindle books are more likely to see their warrenty honored long after it expired. But that is pure speculation on my part.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There have been reports of Amazon replacing units that are long out of warranty. It has been a while since I have read them but it was not unusual to hear of K2's being replaced free of charge by Amazon 6 months to a year after the warrenty ended.

This wasn't universal. I suspect that people who bought many Kindles or Kindle books are more likely to see their warrenty honored long after it expired. But that is pure speculation on my part.
Amazon also have a good track record of replacing Kindles for faults which are assuredly not warranty repairs - eg cracked screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
What it gets down to, is you spend more Money at Amazon if you have a working Kindle or Fire so they want to make sure you have a working Kindle or Fire. This is why they are sold for cost (potentially at a loss) and why Amazon has replaced many a device that it didn't have to.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
Beezie Maddox
Beezie Maddox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 1; basic Kindle 4; Nook ST
TY; that's pretty much what I expected.

My original PW wouldn't hold a charge for more than an hour or so and I really didn't have any more time to mess with it. I could have lived with that if I'd had to, so hopefully the replacement won't have bigger problems.

No sense waiting more than a few more weeks to read up on how to hack it....other than the fact that reading these novels would be a lot more fun....
Beezie Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote