Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Can a JBL read Fictionwise's multi-format books?

I'm confused about Fictionwise and their multi-format books. They talk about an eReader app and using smartphones or PCs.

Am I out of luck?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Can a JBL read Fictionwise's multi-format books?

yes .
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Hmm..

Was that yes to "Can a JBL read Fictionwise's multi-format books?" -0R-
to "Am I out of luck?"?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm confused about Fictionwise and their multi-format books. They talk about an eReader app and using smartphones or PCs.

Am I out of luck?
yes, you can read multiformat books from Fictionwise website. All these books have no DRM protection and jetBook and jetBook-Lite have support for non DRMed
ePub, Mobi and PRC formats.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do I go about it?

Do I download the eReader app to my desktop, download the book to my desktop, use the app to do something to the file, and then move the file onto my JBL?
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
How do I go about it?

Do I download the eReader app to my desktop, download the book to my desktop, use the app to do something to the file, and then move the file onto my JBL?
Much too complicated. Just download the epub or prc and move it to your JBL. Then read it. PS: For multiple format books only, of course.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Much too complicated. Just download the epub or prc and move it to your JBL. Then read it. PS: For multiple format books only, of course.
Yes, it works this way.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Great! So the directions about the eReader app are irrelevant.

Thanks, guys.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Great! So the directions about the eReader app are irrelevant.

Thanks, guys.
Yes, they are.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I've been buying and reading all my multiformat ebooks from fictionwise. Generally jBook has no problem with epub format from fictionwise.

But a caveat though. My jBook has encountered problems with more than a couple ebooks from fictionwise (in epub format) that were published at least 4 years ago. Some magazine back issues and old novels couldn't be read at all, and a few look ugly on jBook because of formatting problems.

My iRiver Story has zero problem with anything from fictionwise.

Fictionwise seems to have remedied the situation. Most recent fictionwise ebooks seem to work fine with my jBook.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
I've been buying and reading all my multiformat ebooks from fictionwise. Generally jBook has no problem with epub format from fictionwise.

But a caveat though. My jBook has encountered problems with more than a couple ebooks from fictionwise (in epub format) that were published at least 4 years ago. Some magazine back issues and old novels couldn't be read at all, and a few look ugly on jBook because of formatting problems.

My iRiver Story has zero problem with anything from fictionwise.

Fictionwise seems to have remedied the situation. Most recent fictionwise ebooks seem to work fine with my jBook.
Did you try PRC or Mobi formats for old books?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Did you try PRC or Mobi formats for old books?
Didn't try those formats, because I fell back on my iRiver Story to read those epub files.

I just re-downloaded the file in PRC format (an old Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Mag), and it worked on the jB without any hiccups. Thanks for the suggestion!
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:26 AM   #13
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Didn't try those formats, because I fell back on my iRiver Story to read those epub files.

I just re-downloaded the file in PRC format (an old Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Mag), and it worked on the jB without any hiccups. Thanks for the suggestion!
Welcome!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Can the jbook read the sony format books with DRM?
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
Can the jbook read the sony format books with DRM?
No, it can't. There are two (or three) DRM formats for the Sony. There's the older lrf-format that can only be read by the Sony devices, then there is the more recent epub with Adobe DRM that can be read by most of he modern devices except Kindle. PDFs with Adobe DRM are also supported by Sony. The JBL, however does not read any DRMed format except B&N's ereader format.