Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
jetBook Lite rechargeable batteries

OK, so today for my jetBook Lite I bought some NiMH batteries.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have some old NiCad batteries with a charger.

Will the old charger work with NiMH batteries, or will I need to buy a new charger specifically for NiMH batteries?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
JeePea
Enthusiast
JeePea is on a distinguished road

Device: Ectaco Jetbook Lite
You need to get a new charger. NiMh batteries charge at a different rate and require a sensor circuit to prevent over charging which can lead to battery damage.
JeePea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
kabir
kabir began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
OK, so today for my jetBook Lite I bought some NiMH batteries.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I have some old NiCad batteries with a charger.

Will the old charger work with NiMH batteries, or will I need to buy a new charger specifically for NiMH batteries?
Why don't you just buy one charger that works for NiMH? It won't cost much. It is not worth saving a few bucks while risking your new NiMH batteries.
kabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
kabir

Speaking of AA batteries, have you experienced something strange with Jetbook lite? My JBL changes the battery indicator from 3 bars to no bar right away. Apparently, either my batteries are crappy (very likely) or JBL is using crappy algorithm to detect power level.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
JeePea
Enthusiast
JeePea is on a distinguished road

Device: Ectaco Jetbook Lite
I've only had my Jetbook Lite for five days and my current set of NiMh rechargeables have only been in for three days. They haven't dropped below the fourth bar yet and I read a couple of hours each evening. If I see the same behavior as yours, I'll report it. BTW, I'm using some Eneloop clones which have a very slow self-discharge rate. I'm hoping they will help extend the time between battery changes by discharging less when the unit is in standby. Time will tell.
JeePea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys. The store was sold out of the chargers they had the other week. I'll try another store over the weekend.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #7
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
The Battery indicator will be configured for normal AA batteries - Rechargable batteries drop off very quickly, most equipment you use them in will give little to no warning when they go flat.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
The Battery indicator will be configured for normal AA batteries - Rechargable batteries drop off very quickly, most equipment you use them in will give little to no warning when they go flat.
Mike, that's good to know. I see that you have a jetBook Lite, so you speak from experience.

I'm surprised that the indicator isn't configured for rechargeables (if that's possible), because I would expect all jetBook Lite owners to use them.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePea View Post
BTW, I'm using some Eneloop clones which have a very slow self-discharge rate. I'm hoping they will help extend the time between battery changes by discharging less when the unit is in standby. Time will tell.
Yeah, I second getting the Sanyo Eneloop batteries. They are the highest rated out there. $16+ at Amazon for 4AAs and a charger, $10 for 4-pack. Didn't see them in stores, however.
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
kabir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwah View Post
Yeah, I second getting the Sanyo Eneloop batteries. They are the highest rated out there. $16+ at Amazon for 4AAs and a charger, $10 for 4-pack. Didn't see them in stores, however.
Duracell re-badges Sanyo Eneloop. If you find Duracell rechargable with white top, rated as 2000mah, boasted as long lasting and made in Japan, it is most likely re-branded Eneloop.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
mitchwah
Connoisseur
mitchwah is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook Lite, Ematic 7" eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir View Post
Duracell re-badges Sanyo Eneloop. If you find Duracell rechargable with white top, rated as 2000mah, boasted as long lasting and made in Japan, it is most likely re-branded Eneloop.
Cool! That's good to know. Thanks kabir.
mitchwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
I have a question (maybe a silly one) for JBL owners. If you use rechargeable batteries in the JBL, can you charge them while they are in the reader? Or must you take them out and charge them in a separate battery charger?
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
As far as I know, the JBL has no charging circuit, so I don't see how it would be able
to charge any re-chargable batteries (or non-rechargable). I can't say that I have any
direct knowledge about it though, as I am still on the batteries that came with it. I have acquired an "Energizer" Compact charger and an extra set of 4x AA rechargeable
batteries. The 4 that came with the charger are all charged up and waiting for the
original batteries to give out (it finally went down one bar, to three bars, yesterday) but
at this rate, it's going to be awhile.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
kolrone
Enthusiast
kolrone doesn't litterkolrone doesn't litter

Device: jetBook-Lite, eBookwise-1150
Thanks Ken. I thought that was the case, but I just wanted to make sure.
kolrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
kirbinster
Enthusiast
kirbinster began at the beginning.

Costco sells the Enelops at a good price.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote