Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:15 AM   #1666
Debasti
Debasti began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad3
@kguil for your awesome work!

As I wrote in german in the appstore, the absolute best Reader so far...
Do you have any future plans to add cbr & cbz support?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #1667
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
For cbz and cbr files you may want to check comicrack for iOS. Little pricey but awesome app.
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #1668
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Evernote has a shared folder the two of you can use, might require the paid version to sync when not connected to wifi if you need that. You can always access the other person's contacts and calendar via their cloud through a browser if you know their ID and password.
Evernote requires paid subscription for offline notebooks(=ability to read your data offline) on iOS
Also, there is CleverMemo (last time I checked it was free on iOS AppStore), which stores data to Evernote AND make it possible to take advantage of Marvin's support for URL Schemes (Evernote's iOS App can't do that).
Old 07-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #1669
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
I appreciate the response. I've toyed with that, except that having iCloud synced between our phones gives us the ability to use the notes app jointly on our phones (grocery lists, etc), plus it gives each of us access to the other's contacts in case they were ever needed. Now, if there's a better note-taking app that would let us sync between devices, I'd be happy to try it out.
You can have multiple iCloud accounts on a device. I think there are certain services that you can only use with your primary iCloud account (e.g. iCloud backup) but the others, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes can be shared.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #1670
Debasti
Debasti began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
For cbz and cbr files you may want to check comicrack for iOS. Little pricey but awesome app.
Thx for the hint. There are comic zeal or yacreader too. but there is no comicapp like stanza that can handle ebooks AND Comics AND have opds Support I manage my comiccollection with calibre and there is no comfortable Solution yet...
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #1671
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Debasti - I'm not planning to support other formats for the time being. If/when I do, I'll definitely be looking at CBR(Z).
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #1672
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Debasti - I'm not planning to support other formats for the time being. If/when I do, I'll definitely be looking at CBR(Z).
The basic CBR(Z) file is very primitive and contains a bunch of images that are display alphabetically in sequence. This is nothing more that a picture viewer running as a slide show. There are two ways to make it smarter. One is to add metadata so that more information is available. See CBZ in our wiki for details. The defacto standard is comicrack. The second is to be able to zoom in on images inside the image using the boundary lines as guides. This can be really tricky.

Dale
Old 07-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #1673
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the tip Dale.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #1674
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
But honestly, is there really a lot of synergy combining a book reader and a comic reader?
There are already a lot of very good comic readers available for iOS and Android, I'm not really sure that having books and comics available in the same app would be a particularly big draw for most people, versus apps dedicated to doing one thing each very well.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #1675
kguil
Addict

@murraypaul - It depends. May people ask me for more formats to have a 'unified library' and CBR isn't as complicated a format as, say, PDF. Still, I haven't put any serious thought into supporting other formats in the first place. Personally, I like CBR(Z) because I have some ideas I haven't seen anywhere else and would like to experiment with.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #1676
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@murraypaul - It depends. May people ask me for more formats to have a 'unified library' and CBR isn't as complicated a format as, say, PDF. Still, I haven't put any serious thought into supporting other formats in the first place. Personally, I like CBR(Z) because I have some ideas I haven't seen anywhere else and would like to experiment with.
I think more formats for books may well make sense, and PDF is still a very useful book format for scientific and other words where exact layout is required.
It is the combination of comics and books together than doesn't have any draw for me.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #1677
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The important thing isn't necessarily to have a "draw" by providing multiple formats, but to prevent it from being a turn-off. If you never load a comic, or mobi, or pdf, etc into marvin then you shouldn't notice any difference....ie you should not be subject to reading a page in a comic frame...you wouldn't care if they supported multiple formats.

Those who want to read different formats using the same app would think it is a plus.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #1678
Gurvan
Groupie
Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gurvan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: En Europe, mais pas loin des Etats-Unis et d'un grand groupe de hard-rock Allemand...
Device: iPhone 6+ and iPad 1 (love them both...)
Fully agree with the above statement. Even though I do use PDF with GoodReader and would consider reading CBR/Z using Marvin, that last piece of software is the killer app as far as ePub is considered and I don't want to have new format if that changes too much the Interface which I have right now...

Marvin is to ePub what GoodReader is to PDF and that is perfectly fine with me...
Old 07-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #1679
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I think more formats for books may well make sense, and PDF is still a very useful book format for scientific and other words where exact layout is required.
It is the combination of comics and books together than doesn't have any draw for me.
There are documents other than comics that use CBZ/R format. Many vintage catalogs and scans of vintage magazines are packaged in that format. There are advantages to using the cbz/r format over pdf and as support for cbz/r grows, more magazine scans are being distributed in that format.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #1680
kguil
Addict

@Gurvan - there's no reason the interface would have to change at all (except for the controls available in reading mode, of course).
Closed Thread