Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
mhm45
mhm45 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
transferring pdf files to Kobo Vox

I have finally got the Vox set up after various problems. I would like to transfer the manual for my camera to the Vox. It is a pdf file.
The Kobo website seems to indicate that I should use Adobe Digital Editions. I followed the instructions but when the Vox is connected, it does not show (in Adobe DE) on the left side of the screen (as a bookshelf). Is this because these instructions may only work on the Kobo Touch?
Is there an app I can download that may help with this or, is it not possible to use pdf files at all on the Vox?
mhm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
The Vox handles PDF's just fine but you might want a reader other than the Kobo app to read them. Aldiko Reader and Mantano are both free apps that read PDF's quite nicely. Once you transfer the PDF to your Vox via microcard, Dropbox, Wi-Fi Explorer, USB or other means, open the reader and import the file. It should find it easy enough.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I think dropbox is easiest. You download dropbox on your PC and your vox. then whenever you want something on your vox you put it into the file you want within your dropbox, and when you are somewhere with WiFi you can open it and save it somewhere on your VOX.
I like my KindleApps for PDFs, but I also use Alkiko and Mantano as well.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
mhm45

You'll know how inexperienced I am with this when you read the following questions!

Wilbrich: when you say "you might want a reader other than the Kobo app to read the pdfs" by "reader" do you mean another app? Do I, in fact, have the Kobo app (on the Kobo?) or was this something else I was supposed to download? When you subsequently say, "open the reader and import the file" does that mean open the app and import the pdf?

peterhondak: I have heard that the Kindle app might work. Where do I get this one? There seem to be various ones!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
peterhondak
Zealot

I can't remember how I got mine. I've have the VOX since the beginning and have read more than 1/2 the threads on here. I probably found a link to it within someones post.

Then what I do is open this forum on my VOX (through the browser) and just click on the link. I'm not smart enough to give you the links myself, if you can't find, start a new thread with a title asking what a good link for???? is? someone is bound to answer you
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
There are a lot of useful Kobo Vox apps here. Aldiko is another reader app like the Kobo one on your Vox, but with more features. You can get it here. Don't use Android Market because that doesn't work with the Vox.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
mhm45

Alkido reader

I downloaded the Alkido reader and it worked beautifully on the pdf manuals I have, except the one for my camera. This, of course, is the one I want most!
My Vox is authorized for Adobe and the manual seems to be a regular pdf file. Can you help with any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
mhm45

Sorry, just realized that the name is Aldiko not Alkido!
Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I hadn't yet tried viewing pdf files with Aldiko, so just now I loaded my camera manual and it does work. However, it crashed a few times skipping through it, maybe because it's a 3.5 meg file. Most e-books I read are less than 1/2 a meg.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
peterhondak
Zealot

I have also used Mantana (sp) or Kindle for PDF, but most my PDFs are one-5 page knitting patterns. They have pictures, and charts but they were designed for downloading so maybe they are smaller files.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
EZ Pdf Reader is one I use when Aldiko doesn't work out because of the format...
Can be found at : http://www.bazaarandroid.com/, requires pre-install of app repository called Aptoide, available on Google Market or here:
http://aptoide-dev.bazaarandroid.com.../17371/Aptoide
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
Hidohebhi
calibre addict
Hidohebhi began at the beginning.

Device: any
Do any of these let he PDF's remain on the SD card? I have a large amount of technical manuals I want to take with me on the Kobo but I don't want to fill up the main memory.
Hidohebhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Yes, the pdf can be saved on the card and can be viewed again at will. Using a file manager such as Astro, go to the document to be read tap on it and select ezpdf on the popup box that now shows to read it. It's that simple.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 04-05-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
Hidohebhi
calibre addict
Hidohebhi began at the beginning.

Device: any
Thanks for the tip. What I really needed in addition was the ability to read the titles, subject and metadata. I tried a few readers and settled on Mantano. For me, it's pretty close to what I need.
Hidohebhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf, vox