Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #241
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm reading Child of Fire: A Twenty Palaces Novel by Harry Connolly. It's the first book of the series and is a bit Dresden-esq, without being an homage (rip-off). It's a different tone, with a tough guy hero who can just barely do magic at all, still a good read so far.

I'd also recommend The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne for a different, but enjoyable urban fantasy.
Child of Fire looks interesting. The Druid Chronicles have been on my Wish List for months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Another detective/mystery novel Dresden fans might like is Harry Turtledove's "The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump". It's sort of an urbanized fantasy/comedy.
No e-book?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #242
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I'm reading Child of Fire: A Twenty Palaces Novel by Harry Connolly. It's the first book of the series and is a bit Dresden-esq, without being an homage (rip-off). It's a different tone, with a tough guy hero who can just barely do magic at all, still a good read so far.

I'd also recommend The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne for a different, but enjoyable urban fantasy.
Quote:
Another detective/mystery novel Dresden fans might like is Harry Turtledove's "The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump". It's sort of an urbanized fantasy/comedy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Child of Fire looks interesting. The Druid Chronicles have been on my Wish List for months now.

No e-book?
there sure is The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump by Harry Turtledove and drm free as well
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #243
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Toxic Spell Dump is 0671721968 at Baen Webscriptions. $5
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #244
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
there sure is The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump by Harry Turtledove and drm free as well
Quote:
Toxic Spell Dump is 0671721968 at Baen Webscriptions. $5
Ah... Thank you both!

I love Baen!!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #245
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool you're welcome

Quote:
Ah... Thank you both!

I love Baen!!
you're welcome yeah, baen is cool
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #246
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool re-read

i finished re-reading ghost story, the newest of the dresden files novels. this completes my re-read of the 13 books in the series and the short story compilation, side jobs. now i, somewhat unhappily, must leave the dresden universe except for discussions here in this thread. here's hoping that they are numerous
Old 10-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #247
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
i finished re-reading ghost story, the newest of the dresden files novels. this completes my re-read of the 13 books in the series and the short story compilation, side jobs. now i, somewhat unhappily, must leave the dresden universe except for discussions here in this thread. here's hoping that they are numerous
all i have to say is holy crap
i've been paying attention at your re-reads but that's insane.

good job on doing it all again in the time that i read 3 of the books lol.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #248
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
all i have to say is holy crap
i've been paying attention at your re-reads but that's insane.

good job on doing it all again in the time that i read 3 of the books lol.
well, i'm retired, so only have 'honey-do's' to interrupt me
Old 10-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #249
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool harry, bob & the model of chicago

early experiments by captain brushpen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	early_experiments_by_captain_brushpen-d4drxgs.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	78277  
Old 10-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #250
Nyssa
Series Addict

Old 10-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #251
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
glad you enjoyed it, but i don't believe that you've yet gotten to the book with that scene in it
Old 10-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #252
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
glad you enjoyed it, but i don't believe that you've yet gotten to the book with that scene in it
No. I actually didn't even see your caption above the pic. i was laughing a the pic itself thinking "Oh Lord, what has Harry done now".
Old 10-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #253
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool hmmmm....

Quote:
No. I actually didn't even see your caption above the pic. i was laughing a the pic itself thinking "Oh Lord, what has Harry done now".
just trying to dangle stuff in front of you to encourage your continuation of the series sooner rather than later (i don't really understand your reticence to forge on till book 13)
Old 10-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #254
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
just trying to dangle stuff in front of you to encourage your continuation of the series sooner rather than later (i don't really understand your reticence to forge on till book 13)
To explain would be to invite you into the chaos that is my way of thinking...so the short answer: Because I can't get there by the end of the year.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #255
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool incredibly unsatisfying

Quote:
To explain would be to invite you into the chaos that is my way of thinking...so the short answer: Because I can't get there by the end of the year.
ok, i can live with that answer but i gotta' tell you that it was an incredibly unsatisfying answer

Last edited by alansplace; 10-28-2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: fix a lack of clarity

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy