Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
eBuk
eBuk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300 [B&N Nook Color or Huawei S7]
Huawei S7 Android Tablet

Hi All,

I'm new here. I currently own a Sony PRS-300 eReader.

I'm looking to upgraded to a color screen and also a device that does more than just eBook reading like video, web browsing, email, IM, video calls (and even phone calls) so I'm looking seriously at the Huawei S7 tablet.

Does anyone have any dealings with the Huawei S7? Any advice or suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
eBuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Seems a tad spendy for a resistive screen 768 MHZ and no memory (32 GB Micro SD) for $300.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
eBuk

It's only $50 more than a B&N Nook Color yet can do tons more than the Nook. The extra functionality; an actual full functioning tablet that can do eReading; is worth the extra $50 to me... But $299 is a high price...

That's why I would like some input from anyone that has one, has played with one or is interested in buying one. Anyone?

TIA
Old 11-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Color Nook has a capacitive screen.

There are many many 7" resistive screen Android tablets available in the $150 range. Having a 32 GB card is a plus, but ...
Old 11-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
eBuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
The Color Nook has a capacitive screen.

There are many many 7" resistive screen Android tablets available in the $150 range. Having a 32 GB card is a plus, but ...
Hi,

Could you name a few of those tablets you mentioned above for $150 (range)?

Thank you.
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBuk View Post
Hi,

Could you name a few of those tablets you mentioned above for $150 (range)?

Thank you.
Google is your friend!
Old 11-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
It's only $50 more than a B&N Nook Color yet can do tons more than the Nook. The extra functionality; an actual full functioning tablet that can do eReading; is worth the extra $50 to me... But $299 is a high price...

That's why I would like some input from anyone that has one, has played with one or is interested in buying one. Anyone?

TIA
I didn't really like the design of the Huawei, and am not a big fan of resistive screens. I think $300 is asking a bit much for it.

As far as the nook color goes, I like the design and the screen MUCH better! And, it looks like it is about to be rooted, and then you will be able to install the apps of your choice on it, which will make it a full functioning tablet.

If however the nook color still doesn't appeal to you, I think the Pocketbook IQ is a great value at $150 and will do much of what the Huwaei will do. It also has a very nice design.

Just my 2 cents
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
eBuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I didn't really like the design of the Huawei, and am not a big fan of resistive screens. I think $300 is asking a bit much for it.

As far as the nook color goes, I like the design and the screen MUCH better! And, it looks like it is about to be rooted, and then you will be able to install the apps of your choice on it, which will make it a full functioning tablet.

If however the nook color still doesn't appeal to you, I think the Pocketbook IQ is a great value at $150 and will do much of what the Huwaei will do. It also has a very nice design.

Just my 2 cents
Thank you for your comments and thoughts. Yes, the NookColor was just rooted which is great but it still needs a little bit more for me...

What I like about the Huawei S7 is as follows:

1. 7" touch screen (it's not capacitive but it's still incredibly responsive)
2. Full Tablet (not just a dedicated ebook reader)
3. Full Access to Android Market
4. Bluetooth
5. GPS
6. Phone
7. WiFi
8. Web Browsing
9. Android 2.2 release promised
10. Movie playback/support
11. Music playback/support
12. Full EBOOK reader (with multiple choices of reader programs)
13. Email
14. Calendar
15. Documents
16. 2 Cameras (front & back)
17. Video Chat
18. Instant Messaging
19. Voice Chat
Etc...

It'll be more than just an ebook reader for me.

It's set to take the place of my cellphone, dedicated ebook reader (on the go), my smartphone, my GPS AND my laptop (on the go). So it's worth the $299 to me.

(It's $50 more than the Nook Color but adds way more than $50 worth of functions (GPS, Bluetooth, Phone, Andorid Market, etc).)

I'm leaning towards getting one for Xmas... I'd just like to know if anyone has one or is considering one.

Thanks

Last edited by eBuk; 11-30-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
wodin
Illiterate

eBuk, you sound like you've pretty much decided, so go ahead and buy one.

If that's not the case, then I have to conclude that this whole thread is little more than spam; allowing you to extol the virtues of this overpriced device.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
I have lusted after one at BestBuy. It was really responsive. I really had to tell myself no. I have a perfectly good Kindle and an netbook and I really should not buy it. I am having a hard time about it since I now have two $5.00 reward coupons. Now if they only either have them on sale or they send me a % off coupon that makes it more irresistible I will be sunk. It does have the market ready to enter your e-mail address.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
sashusmom
Enthusiast
sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sashusmom once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iphone 3gs-(JB), asus 1000h, e-ink nook, libre pro, Wht PDN, Huawei s7
I bought one!

I passed on the viewsonic g tablet for this huawei s7. I figured it was more practical to carry around than a 10 inch tablet, and I have a 10 in netbook. My H s7 plays youTube better than my asus 1005.
sashusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Quote:
Thank you for your comments and thoughts. Yes, the NookColor was just rooted which is great but it still needs a little bit more for me...

What I like about the Huawei S7 is as follows:

1. 7" touch screen (it's not capacitive but it's still incredibly responsive)
2. Full Tablet (not just a dedicated ebook reader)
3. Full Access to Android Market
4. Bluetooth
5. GPS
6. Phone
7. WiFi
8. Web Browsing
9. Android 2.2 release promised
10. Movie playback/support
11. Music playback/support
12. Full EBOOK reader (with multiple choices of reader programs)
13. Email
14. Calendar
15. Documents
16. 2 Cameras (front & back)
17. Video Chat
18. Instant Messaging
19. Voice Chat
Etc...

It'll be more than just an ebook reader for me.

It's set to take the place of my cellphone, dedicated ebook reader (on the go), my smartphone, my GPS AND my laptop (on the go). So it's worth the $299 to me.

(It's $50 more than the Nook Color but adds way more than $50 worth of functions (GPS, Bluetooth, Phone, Andorid Market, etc).)

I'm leaning towards getting one for Xmas... I'd just like to know if anyone has one or is considering one.

Thanks
Do not count on Froyo being ported to the S7. Check out this thread at androidtablets.net:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...iscussion.html
(Just found this link in recent update that seems to confirm the lack of 2.2 update:
http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/12/1...+Android+Froyo
- bad news!
And then good newer news from posters who state they have "inside info" that the 2.2 update is coming - pay your money, and take your chances depending on who you believe I guess. Supposed to have been some official announcement today, but nothing so far - 23:25 EST - sleeping on it)

I got one a little over a week ago, and despite its overall goodness, am finding some disappointments which with that possible/probable lack of upgrade could spike this gizmo for me:
  • No USB host mode for keyboard/mouse/drives
  • Bluetooth pairing but not connecting with Palm keyboard that works fine with Archos 5 and Nokia 810
  • Cannot tether off my Verizon Windows Mobile 6.5 Imagio (Archos also fails, but Windoze and Lniux PC's work) - not interested in getting T-Mobile or ATT just for this.
  • Heavier than I realized from hefting it with the security attachment in the store - about like my former Pandigital Novel such that my carpal tunnel numbness kicks in fairly quickly as opposed to the Archos 5.
  • Although I prefer resistive over capacitive touch screens (hate smudging them up, and the lesser precision vs stylus/fingernail - Palm/Graffiti "legacy"), it is a bit trickier than the Archos to use since the stylus/nail has to do a pulling motion to avoid the "fingernail on chalkboard" sensation of a pushing movement.

Considering that the Archos does almost as much (and more with the BT keyboard), and is so much handier to pack along, fitting in a shirt pocket, which the S7 could never do, and reading on it without it making my hand go numb (as soon), and, on the other "end", my Fujitsu Lifebook P1610 convertible tablet being only a little heavier and bigger overall with far more functionality (dual-booting Linux and Windoze), the S7 probably really does not make sense for me.

YMMV, but I have a little over a week to return it to BB, and take a $45 hit for the restocking fee (they made a point of that with the "14-day Return" tape stuck all over the box - no Christmas gift grace period extension). I am thinking more and more that will be the price of my "trial period", and be done with it.

Other than that, it's an awesome tablet for the price

Last edited by roc; 12-15-2010 at 11:28 PM.
roc is offline   Reply With Quote