Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
1.4 GB Storage... HA!

I decided to load up my Kindle just to see what would happen. I loaded over 2000 files but still had over 500MB left. Amazon sent me an email telling me that I was out of storage on the K2 and I needed to delete some files so that they could send content to my K2.

I double checked and I still had over 500MB showing as free in both Windows Explorer and Calibre. I deleted a few files and now Amazon sent me the content.

So, this means that you effectively have far less than 1.4GB storage or maybe it's also limited by the total number of files. I'll have to move some MP3s over and see what happens.

Still wish I had my SD slot.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
How big was the content you were trying to download?

Last edited by nelamvr6; 02-27-2009 at 08:13 PM.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
of that 1.4 GB some will need to remain reserved for software updates...exactly how much depends on the update I suppose
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
The content Amazon was sending was around 1MB and I had over 500MB free. I just loaded up a bunch of MP3s and I'll see what happens.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
The content Amazon was sending was around 1MB and I had over 500MB free. I just loaded up a bunch of MP3s and I'll see what happens.
I went back and fixed your original post. You said KB/MB, instead of MB/GB.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Well you had plenty of room, maybe there is some sort of glitch
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM! Or so I heard a long time ago.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
of that 1.4 GB some will need to remain reserved for software updates...exactly how much depends on the update I suppose
.6GB is reserved for system stuff otherwise the user would have the full 2GB to play with.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If you try to send too many things to your Kindle at once, you'll get a message that says you're "out of space" even though you're not. I'm not sure what the maximum number of simultaneous writes is, maybe 4 or so? But that's why it generated the erroneous message.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
.6GB is reserved for system stuff otherwise the user would have the full 2GB to play with.
But, I wonder if that counts the search indexes. It may just be the operation files. The index may still need room in addition to the .6GB.

It also could be that indexing takes up extra work space. I know alot of times for stuff like the many db engines use extra diskspace as work area... then it is released when the job is done.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given that I can see them via USB I'm pretty sure the Indexes do take up the 1.4GB "workspace".
Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 AM   #12
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Given that I can see them via USB I'm pretty sure the Indexes do take up the 1.4GB "workspace".
Keep an eye on those system/hidden directories. You have to "unhide" them (several nerd steps) on Windows to see them.

Think it through - the index database file(s) have to go somewhere. The computer science people can tell you the overhead.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

Uhh, yeah, I've done that. That's how I can see them in the first place.

The point is they're on the user-accessible partition. The 600 MB reserved for the OS and other stuff isn't accessible via USB.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
They would have to but files that are updated frequently in the user space and put the OS in a space where higher level privileges are required to change them.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ryan View Post
Keep an eye on those system/hidden directories. You have to "unhide" them (several nerd steps) on Windows to see them.

Think it through - the index database file(s) have to go somewhere. The computer science people can tell you the overhead.
Here's what is in my system file. If you *copy* the reader.pref to your computer and rename it reader.txt, the file tells you which dictionary you are using as the default.

There seems the be a hidden drive, the .6 that Amazon is holding onto. I can't get to it to see what's in there (maybe I need Linux to see it?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2 system 1.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	24646   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2 system 2.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	24647   Click image for larger version

Name:	k2 system 3.JPG
Views:	337