Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
iPad owners 'rich, selfish'

From mX newspaper (mX an Australian free afternoon daily newspaper for the cities of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, owned and produced by News Limited) on Wednesday July 28, 2010:
"SURVEY CLAIM
Owners of iPads are six times more likely to be wealthy, highly educated and sophisticated 30-50-year-olds who value power and achievement.
They're also selfish and unkind, according to a survey of 20,000 people conducted by US consumer research firm MyType.
MyType spokesman Tim Koelkebeck gave his unflattering appraisal of iPad owners on the company's blog after the firm released the results of the survey online."
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
And non Ipad owners are 6 times more likely to be poor and jealous?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none

Hilarious statements, should provoke some interesting reactions.
I doubt that Apple fans are more wealthier than normal people, I think they have just been more brainwashed by the apple commercials and truely believe they have bought the best product EVER

That it costs 3 times more than an other product which does the same, is something they are willing to pay
Apple has become the new status symbol of 21st century, that's all there is too it.
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druid_Elf View Post

That it costs 3 times more than an other product which does the same, is something they are willing to pay
Damn, point me to that $167 Tablet you are using that "does the same" as a $499 iPad. I'll be willing to stop being rich and selfish for that
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
You better believe that I am spoiled, rich, selfish and a prick and a half.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Okay, that is just...wrong...

I'm no fan of Apple products and I thoroughly despise Jobs and the corporate culture he's built at Apple (to say nothing of the way he manipuates the mainstream media), but to categorize Apple buyers like that... No, that's just not *accurate*.

The Apple buyers I know, and I know quite a few, are anything but selfish.
Most are actually caring, active in the community, concerned about the environment...
Might as well come out and say it: liberals. Bleeding heart liberals, even.
Politics aside though...

Look, anybody that can drop US$500-1000 on a personal electronics device is by definition wealthy. And maybe even self-indulgent (which is by itself an over-statement), but selfish?

Nope.
Much as I dislike Apple fanboys' kneejerk worship of their toys that doesn't make them bad people.
And I see nothing wrong in being wealthy or spending your hard-earned money on personal toys. It's their money, they can spend it anyway they see fit.
Just because you couldn't catch me dead with an iPxxx is no reason to demonize another person.

What I want to know is who the heck this dude is? Mother Teresa reincarnated?
Jeeze, the things folks do for clickthroughs, these days.
Next!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
oh gawd
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Okay, that is just...wrong...

I'm no fan of Apple products and I thoroughly despise Jobs and the corporate culture he's built at Apple (to say nothing of the way he manipuates the mainstream media), but to categorize Apple buyers like that... No, that's just not *accurate*.

The Apple buyers I know, and I know quite a few, are anything but selfish.
Most are actually caring, active in the community, concerned about the environment...
and they post on mobileread.com !!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
They're also selfish and unkind, according to a survey of 20,000 people conducted by US consumer research firm MyType.
I wonder... How many of those 20.000 people would have loved to be able to buy an Ipad, but couldn't afford it?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I don't mind being called whatever. Doesn't make it true. I'm not wealthy, for instance, lol. If I were, I would love to be able to donate more money and give more gifts. Having grown up without much money and having made some since, for me, being able to share it is one of the best things.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-28-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
No offence, AprilHare (because you, no doubt, will agree) ... what utter codswallop! Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
From mX newspaper (mX an Australian free afternoon daily newspaper for the cities of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, owned and produced by News Limited) on Wednesday July 28, 2010:
"SURVEY CLAIM
And it never occurred to you to wonder why this newspaper is free? If you search long enough, you’ll find studies about anything, proving anything you want to be proven.

Who is this MyType company? Are they professional, are they trustworthy? Do they have a reputation? Or are they anything like Strand Consultant? How did they determine if people were selfish or unkind? What percentages are we talking about here?
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it's just a really late jump on the Alexie Sherman Bandwagon
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
MyType spokesman Tim Koelkebeck gave his unflattering appraisal of iPad owners on the company's blog after the firm released the results of the survey online."
Not to mention his unflattering appraisal of non-iPad owners:

Quote:
the study found that “bashing the iPad is, in a way, an identity statement for independent geeks,” wrote Koelkebeck.

“As a mainstream, closed-platform device whose major claim to fame is ease of use and sex appeal, the iPad is everything that they are not.”
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Damn, point me to that $167 Tablet you are using that "does the same" as a $499 iPad. I'll be willing to stop being rich and selfish for that
It's called an ipod touch. Same functionality, just a wee bit smaller.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote