Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #136
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofrast View Post
hallo GeoffC,

review,
thank you for your kind and detailed answer. I discovered djvu just one week ago when, after years of intensive reading on lcd, I decided I had to find something easier on my eyes, and started considering ereaders. it seems a very clever format, and, when possible, I'll definitedly move to it from now on. problem is my existing library, as I wouldn't like to waste reading time in converting gigabytes of data. the more, my area of interest is very far from mainstream literature, so it's mostly simple scan with no editing and quite hard to make it undergo OCR. is there a way to edit the problematic colour pdf scans and make them b/w?
as new pocketbook customer, I wholeheartedly support your request to pocketbook to fix the FW and make it fully compliant to the formats declared in the advertising. I bought pb902 solely to read pdf and djvu from gallica, googlebooks and archive.org, assuming from their statement that those formats were supported.
ok, I'm not entirely sure if I get you right and if my points were very clear. So I try to rephrase some points:

It is very difficult to make general statements. Accordingly I wouldn't go so far to claim that a book stored in the djvu format is always the better choice than the one in pdf. It depends strongly on the properties how they were scanned. I have many pdf files from archive.org which are excellent to read. You can see this very often in the preview on the right. The clear white frames usually indicate that the background was already removed. And those files I download usually as pdf only. If, however the preview on archive.org indicates this brownish colour then I usually download the pdf, b/w-pdf and djvu if available. Then I upload all of them to the reader and decide there which one is the best.

You ask if there is a way to make the djvu files bw. Well, this is exactly what I ment with the script I wrote. You simply point my program to the djvu files it should enhance. Then you can go get a coffee and when you come back it transformed the djvu file to be much better to read on the device. So yes, it is possible and even for most files with a great success.

I'm sure one can write a similar program to transform coloured pdfs. One would probably convert all files to postscript and then use ghostscript to enhance the single page. Maybe by setting a threshold for what is background and what is foreground. But all this is unnecessary if you use the djvu format as it has been done for you already. And my script doesn't really process the file itself it just separates the layers and rebundles them again. This means that this is also much faster than if you need to run extensive format conversations on each file. My script takes about one second to process a single page (and if you keep in mind that this is on my old laptop with 600 MHz and little RAM you can imagine that you can easily convert many gigabytes of files very fast on a more decent computer).

Coming to OCR: almost all files on archive.org (pdf or djvu) are already OCR´d. So you don't need to worry about OCR at all.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #137
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
thank you review,
you've been very clear. I'll decide what to do when the problem will arise book by book (I've also many manuscripts - not from archive - and quite ancient prints, and I doubt OCR had been used, unless an enormous amount of hand edit had been made). it could be that your script is to become very handy, anyway the only correct solution is pocketbook to fix things in firmware OR release as soon as possible SDK's, so users can do it by themselves.
one of the things that made me go for pocketbook, other than pdf and djvu capability, is the open and constructive policy of the company with users and open source community. I hope they won't deceive us now.
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #138
teofrast
Enthusiast
teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.teofrast once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: pocketbook902
sorry,double post

Last edited by teofrast; 01-18-2011 at 08:56 AM.
teofrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #139
Syl77
Syl77 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by erverg View Post
I recently bought the PB602 (immediately updated the firmware to 2.0.3)
[...]
some of the other ebooks (epub file as well) I am currently reading won't open unless I delete the bookmark in it. When attempting to open them, whether it is from my library, the recent reads or the bookmark in the notes menu, the screen just refreshes but nothing happens.
Hello !
The exact same thing happened to me... With all ebooks. I must delete the bookmark if I want to open the book.
Thanks
Syl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 AM   #140
jsmith65
jsmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: PB 902, Nook
PB 902 Speakers Problem Continues

I got a new PB 902 reader and was very excited. It came preloaded with firmware 2.0.3. However, the problem with the speakers popping when waking up from some sleep state continues. This time it does not go away after some button is pressed like my old one and pops even when I change pages.

Does anybody have link to old firmware 2.0.2 for 902 so I can test whether this is a firmware bug? If this is a firmware bug, I hope it'll be fixed for next release because the popping sound is very audible and annoying.

Thanks.
jsmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #141
donbex
donbex began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 602
Hi, this is my first post.
I have had a PB 602, firmware 2.0.3, for nearly a month now and so far I am very happy of it.

Anyway, I think I am experiencing a bug. The option to keep a different orientation for pdf (and djvu) files seem to affect only AdobeViewer and not pdfreader.

Thanks.

Last edited by donbex; 01-23-2011 at 12:56 PM.
donbex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #142
pferdefuss
pferdefuss began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 602
Exclamation 602 - No wifi connection to hidden ssid

I got my 602 today and after playing around a bit I also wanted to connect it to my wifi network.
When it didn't work, I upgraded the firmaware to 2.0.4. Also this didn't solve the problem.

In the end this only worked after I removed the "Hide SSID" option in the router.

If the 602 is not able to connect to a hidden SSID this will render the device completely useless for me

With the SSID in the open the lines after
Code:
/sbin/wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth0 -c/var/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
read
Code:
/sbin/udhcpc -n -t 7 -T 3
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started
Sending discover ...
Sending select for 192.168.x.x ...
Lease of 192.168.x.x obtained, lease time 864000
deleting routers
route: SIODELRT: No such process
adding dns 192.168.x.x
Please look into this and let me know if the 602 really can't handle hidden SSIDs. In this case I will have to return it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pb602_no_wifi_small.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	65437  
pferdefuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #143
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferdefuss View Post
I got my 602 today and after playing around a bit I also wanted to connect it to my wifi network.
When it didn't work, I upgraded the firmaware to 2.0.4. Also this didn't solve the problem.

In the end this only worked after I removed the "Hide SSID" option in the router.

If the 602 is not able to connect to a hidden SSID this will render the device completely useless for me

With the SSID in the open the lines after
Code:
/sbin/wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth0 -c/var/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
read
Code:
/sbin/udhcpc -n -t 7 -T 3
udhcpc (v1.16.1) started
Sending discover ...
Sending select for 192.168.x.x ...
Lease of 192.168.x.x obtained, lease time 864000
deleting routers
route: SIODELRT: No such process
adding dns 192.168.x.x
Please look into this and let me know if the 602 really can't handle hidden SSIDs. In this case I will have to return it.
Sure does handle hidden routers. You just have to enter the router's name and PW manually.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #144
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
However, it seems that one has to make sure that there aren't any special characters in the SSID. Like Fritz!Box or so. E.g. I also can't connect to a hidden wlan network if there is a special character in the SSID but I can connect to the same network if the name is broadcasted. pferdefuss might try to change the SSID to something simple and short and put this in manually.
review is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #145
pferdefuss
pferdefuss began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 602
Thumbs up 602 - How to handle hidden SSIDs

OK, the special characters might mess this one up

I'm still calling "bug" here, but I guess it's low priority

Apart from that, I might actually refrain from keeping my SSIDs hidden. Seems that it doesn't provide the additional layer of security I was expecting from it the whole time

for taking the time and enlightening me .
pferdefuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #146
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
PocketBook 902 firmware 2.0.4 EURO doesn't start

OK, my PB doesn't start again. It's the same behaviour as i had with the 2.0.2 firmware.
I deleted few books (5 maybe) and added one book. Now it's frozen. I'll try reflash firmware but i have to say that i'm really disappointed.

EDIT: So i re-flashed the firmware, PB started, I selected "Maintenance, Clean the state", tried to open the library, device froze again. Well — let's try this once again.

EDIT2: Second reflash. Didn't start. Froze at registration page. Third reflash. Didn't start. Froze at boot logo.

EDIT3: It's like a detective story Fourth reflash. Now i am able to connect PB to my PC. What should i do next?

EDIT4: I deleted almost whole library (except one book), "db" subfolder in "system" folder, all notes and active content and now it works. Can you make this stable, please? Because now i am worried to add some books.

Last edited by tomhck; 01-25-2011 at 10:52 AM.
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #147
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhck View Post
OK, my PB doesn't start again. It's the same behaviour as i had with the 2.0.2 firmware.
I deleted few books (5 maybe) and added one book. Now it's frozen. I'll try reflash firmware but i have to say that i'm really disappointed.
I had the same behaviour two or three times. Try removing your SD-Card and restart the book, Then shut it down on the main menu page, insert your card again and restart. Give it a few minutes time to recover, even if the LED is off, and then enter the library via the "favourites" icon.
That worked quite fine for me, but I had this problem only after changing some hundred Books, never with less than fifty
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #148
Krzych Ayanami
Enthusiast
Krzych Ayanami began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903 (soon!)
Try to connect to usb port. And delete ebooks with adobe ade. PB is now only no-drm files ereader .
Krzych Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #149
tomhck
Enthusiast
tomhck began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 902
I don't have neither SD card (i think i have to buy one) nor books with drm, but thanks troll05 and Krzych Ayanami. I solved this problem (as i described above), but it is quite annoying. If you want to use your reader, you have to be a magician I think i should buy some retort, gas-burner and really big glasses
tomhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #150
jsmith65
jsmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: PB 902, Nook
Speakers Popping Sound Update

Hi, it's me again. I know I'm very persistent, but I did wish that 2.0.4 would fix the issue with my speakers popping whenever I press something AFTER the LED is off. However, 2.0.4 did not fix it.

I just figured out something I wish to share so you can help me find a way to fix it or, better yet, fix it in the next firmware release.

I just found out that when I am charging the device, it is deadly quiet (which is what I want). I think the problem may be current surges that would happen whenever I press a button or trigger the G-sensor after the LED goes off, which may mean that the device is put into some kind of power saving mode.

Another way to make it quiet with the crackling noise is, surprisingly, to play some MP3 in the background. Then LED stays on, and I don't hear any noise even though I set the volume to mute.

I currently suspect current surges are the culprits because the faults are not due to the speakers since it happens also when I plug my headphones in. If I plug in my headphones before the device boots up, I can hear the noise very loud and clearly (I encourage you to try it out and see if it's true for your device). It also happens when I turn the device off.

Right now, I am using a dummy headphone jack to mute and also protect the speakers. I hope this can be easily fixed with software. However, just in case it is the hardware issue, are the speakers unpluggable?

Thank you.
jsmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote