Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Question Your favorite epub vendor?

Anyone care to recommend an online vendor for epubs?

I'm looking for a company that deals within the US; one that isn't limited to a particular company's aps and devices. In other words, a company that will allow the purchase of a single epub that can be used on multiple devices from different manufacturers?

Also interested in good customer service.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Baen for SF and related genres. There are several publishers that use the store.

www.baenebooks.com

All Romance for romance genre.

http://www.allromanceebooks.com

There are a bunch of very small web sites selling ebooks such as http://www.scifi-az.com/ but there are many others as well.

I'm mostly using Amazon now for anything that's not on Baen.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Greg!

Does anyone know of a listing of indy sites like the scifi-az site Greg mentioned? A list like that would be a good resource.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Anyone care to recommend an online vendor for epubs?

I'm looking for a company that deals within the US; one that isn't limited to a particular company's aps and devices. In other words, a company that will allow the purchase of a single epub that can be used on multiple devices from different manufacturers?

Also interested in good customer service.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!
Can't Google Books be used on any device that reads epub?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Can't Google Books be used on any device that reads epub?

Shari
Good question! I'd like to keep using my NOOKs in the event that B&N croaks.

Anybody want to share their experience using Google Books?
Advert
Old 10-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Oddly enough, despite some problems, I'd have to say Kobo is the best epub vendor I know. They aren't perfect by any means but they do sort out any problems in the end.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Oddly enough, despite some problems, I'd have to say Kobo is the best epub vendor I know. They aren't perfect by any means but they do sort out any problems in the end.
But you use a Kindle, right? Isn't Kobo all epubs?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
But you use a Kindle, right? Isn't Kobo all epubs?
Irrelevant. It's trivial to convert from ePub to Kindle format, or vice versa.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
(I hope you will all forgive my beginner type questions.)

Trivial, well, I think I know what you mean.

But since B&N now prevents the downloading of their book files, it's no longer possible to convert from their epubs into mobi. Isn't that right? So no vice versa in their case?

And I would need ADE to purchase from most companies, wouldn't I?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Not without breaching the terms of the license contract.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
But since B&N now prevents the downloading of their book files, it's no longer possible to convert from their epubs into mobi. Isn't that right? So no vice versa in their case?
No, not right. Download the book using "Nook for PC". You now have the ePub which can be converted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
No, not right. Download the book using "Nook for PC". You now have the ePub which can be converted.
That's the pre-windows 8 software, yes? I would not be surprised if B&N plugs that hole in the near future.

At any rate, I'm still wondering what would be the best source from which to purchase epubs (other than Barnes & Noble) that I can side-load onto my old NOOKs.

I have two NSTs and I intend to never turn their wifi on again!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #13
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
My favourites would be Baen and some publisher shops such as Spatterlight Press: All their books are DRM-free and without georestrictions, if only it was like that everywhere. Unfortunately not a big range, and nothing from the big publishers.

Otherwise my favourite is whoever has the best price on the day. In New Zealand that is usually Kobo (they charge in New Zealand dollas so no currency conversion or credit card fees, and most books are eligible for promo codes including the majority of the big publisher's books).

I've never had an issue with any retailer's customer service. All my problems have been fixed or a refund offered. (Edit: Although if the problem has to do with book content or availability I think it is better to deal with the publisher direct rather than go through the retailer.)

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-15-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Better to deal with publisher for content/availability issues
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
My favorite EPUB vendor is... well, actually Amazon. Great service and any book can be easily converted to EPUB using calibre.

Unless you'd prefer Kobo's recent habit of making books KEPUB only, or
B&N's partitioning of the userstore to hide your books, plus violating everyone's trust when they removed the download buttons.

And right now they are the three main publishers and your best chance of getting ANY book you are interested in.

Google Books may be the only non-Amazon, sane option left since all their books can be downloaded via .acsm into ADE.
And Apple is a joke that shall not be further mentioned.

Yes, there are workarounds... there are almost always workarounds.
KEPUBs can be downloaded via the desktop program and imported with a magic plugin (Nate has it somewhere) and B&N has greasemonkey scripts or Nook for PC (which many people have had problems with)... but the hassle...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Not without breaching the terms of the license contract.
Maybe, but then I'm not posting the books to torrent files for others to download either. Instead I'm just converting them for my own use. I think that should make a difference. And I imagine that many book sellers (including Kobo) expect that at least some buyers will convert books once they have bought them from them.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote