Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
Doc333
Doc333 began at the beginning.

Device: PS300
Frustration

When I first recieved my PS300 as a Xmas gift, I seem to have had all the problems that many others had. Those problems were resolved and I had it working.

Last week I had a new PC as my old laptop died, and everything was exported over to the new PC (Windows 7 64 bit) It took some time to get ereader working, but finally did it, and I stupidly clicked sync. I had always in the past dragged and dropped from the library to the reader, why I decided to sync I'll never know. I ended up with everything on my reader duplicated, so decided to go back in and drag them out. Not possible as for some reason the software doesn't now recognise my reader as being registered to this computer.

I'm utterley sick and tired of the problems with this reader/software/Sony and is now beyond a joke. I'm thinking of just deleting everything from my system, and throwing the reader away. Even starting again with another brand of reader/software.

My question is in 2 parts:

1) is there a simple way of resolving my existing problems - maybe downloading some windows 7 compatible software. I'm loathe to lose all my books by deleting everything. I have also always had registration issues with this reader and how can I instruct the system that yes it is my reader and yes they are my books.

2) Throwing everything in the bin: what is the best new reader to purchase, which is simple to set up and has reliable software

Thanks for your patience
Doc333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Hi Doc, sorry to hear about your problems. I suggest you have a look through the dedicated Sony sub-forum on this web site for a solution.
I'm sure I've read about people having same issues with Win7+64bit. I use Calibre myself. I don't even have Sony software installed!

Good luck,

m-reader
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I must be the only lucky one that hasn't had problems with Windows 7 64 bit and the Sony software. Have you emailed Sony support? Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the Sony software? You can save all your books to a CD or USB before doing so, then you can add them back later.

I did the same syncing thing as you once. I just deleted the duplicate books one by one from the reader and made sure never to click that sync option again.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Doc333

Thanks guys

I've now been moved into the Sony, which sounds like a euphemism.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever been as frustrated with something as I am with this. The software seems to be incomplete yet cumbersome and very unreliable. My problems started as soon as I unwrapped it. I loaded the software, which had me registering it with Sony, then registering yet again when I plugged it in. Then told to download ebook library, but part the way through was advised on screen to download digital editions. So ended up with 2 seperate libraries. Then the trouble of downloading books, which came through and went somewhere that took me an age to find (one at a time) click on this and hey presto it went into the library. Long process was continued download - click - delete and start again. I finished up with all my books in the library and drageed and dropped them into the reader.

But the next time I hook it up and download a few books, I have the same problem as before but this time they go into digital editions? Anyway I plough through the maze and manage to get the books dropped into the reader.

I have another 9-books still to read on the machine (It thinks I have 18 to read yet) If I can't resolve my problems, I will be deep sixing the piece of garbage. I'm no techy geek, but neither am I a novice. I suppose I was spoiled by iTunes being so simple. I've noticed that there are many, many sites dedicated to Sony ereader problems, so it is obviously problematic for thousands of us.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Doc,
I have managed a 505 for the better part of 3 years, as well as my wife's 300 lately. I have NEVER ever used the Sony software to manage my collection on my reader. Do yourself a huge favor and use Calibre. The Sony software is garbage. Calibre is (in my opinion) the ONLY software that should be bundled with any reader. I honestly believe that Kovid is virtually singlehandedly responsible for the surge in popularity for ereaders thanks to his hard work with Calibre. You will never think of deep sixing your reader again.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Doc,
I have managed a 505 for the better part of 3 years, as well as my wife's 300 lately. I have NEVER ever used the Sony software to manage my collection on my reader. Do yourself a huge favor and use Calibre. The Sony software is garbage. Calibre is (in my opinion) the ONLY software that should be bundled with any reader. I honestly believe that Kovid is virtually singlehandedly responsible for the surge in popularity for ereaders thanks to his hard work with Calibre. You will never think of deep sixing your reader again.
I second this. Uninstall all the Sony and Adobe ADE software you have. Install Calibre. Plug your PRS-300 in. Calibre will discover all the books on your reader.
Start downloading some free books from this website and having a play with the reader to get familiar with the process. There are many DRM free book stores out there to buy books from - no need for ADE or Sony software.

Good luck!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'll third that. Sony's hardware is tops but their software stinks. I am thankful Kovid worked up Calibre.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Sony's software is, as AlbertaCowboy said, garbage. Since I don't buy books from Sony's store, due to my stance on DRM, I don't use it. Calibre is the way to go. It will save your library and your sanity. It is really amazing software, and Kovid rocks.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The problem with Calibre is notes/annotations. Once that is supported, I will give up on SONY's software as well. Until then, it's just not an option - at least, not for me.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I haven't had ANY problems with Sony's software since I got it in Dec. of last year. The reader came with the software loaded, so I didn't bother reloading it. I did one synch & realized I didn't like it and have never used it again.

I have no problems loading my books onto my reader from the file where I keep all of my books, nor did I have any trouble registering my pc or reader with ADE.

I'm sorry so many of you have problems, but some of us are doing just fine with it.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Using Calibre only is a good idea, unless you want to buy books from the Sony store. If the OP is having problems with the Sony software and ADE already, adding another program might make things more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc333 View Post
I ended up with everything on my reader duplicated, so decided to go back in and drag them out. Not possible as for some reason the software doesn't now recognise my reader as being registered to this computer.
You have to delete, one by one, the duplicate books on the reader. Problem solved. That has nothing to do with the software, it's because you clicked sync. Sounds like there are only nine books so this should not even take two minutes to do.

Your Reader is not registered to your computer. It's registered to your Sony account. You can have 5 or 6 devices authorized on one account; at one time I had four computers at once plus my Reader and they all worked fine.

You should probably just call or email Sony support and have them straighten it all out.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I am firmly in the Calibre camp here. Superb and easy software for management of ones ebook collection. I manage 3 differing ereaders using Calibre with no issue.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
Doc333

Thankyou one and all. I will be deleting the Sony garbageware tonight and loading Calibre. I live in hope that everything works.

One last point regarding my didgital editions library and the existing ereader library (Which seem to have been corrupted) Do I delete both these, digital editions only, or leave them? Would I be deleting the books/files or are they stored elsewhere for Calibre to find.

Once again many thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
Siwickimom
Bookin' it!
Siwickimom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505- Sangria :) and Black Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
Doc,
Amen. As I was reading your initial posts, I thought 'just install calibre, let it catalog your books, wipe out the 300 and start over.'

Save yourself the heartache and headaches, mate and just bin Sony. They make brilliant hardware, but crap software.
Siwickimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I guess I am lucky as I have never had any problems with using all 3 programs on my XP computer. Sounds like there are issues with using the Sony software on Win 7.
I agree that you never need to install the Sony Software to use your reader but if your planning to buy ebooks from a majority of the ebookstores you'll need Adobe DE to download them even if you strip DRM so Calibre can process them.
If you are only reading free ebooks or buy from non-DRM places like Smashwords you'll only need Calibre
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote