Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #16
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks - so far, i'm liking it
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #17
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
READ IT Folks it's fantastic, and my dear wife is reading it too and she's PICKY about what she reads, So it MUST be good!
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #18
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I just finished Maisy May, and I really enjoyed it. If memory serves, it captures all the confusion and complexity of modern teenage life.

I doubt your definition of Vegemite will help most North Americans... I can't think of anything sold commonly here that's quite like either of them... maybe if you take a couple of beef broth cubes, grind them up, add a very little bit of water to make a stiff paste? If that sounds appetizing, you belong in Australia

And that's the last free book I'll get from you; you deserve money from now on. It was delightful. Finish off that Vampire book and get back to MM2.
Pholy, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Don't feel obliged - but if you happen to wander over to Amazon and post a review, however short, I'll be very grateful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
thanks - so far, i'm liking it
Woohoo! Thanks for reading, and reporting back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
READ IT Folks it's fantastic, and my dear wife is reading it too and she's PICKY about what she reads, So it MUST be good!
Yep, I haven't been harassing her via her husband AT ALL. No, really!!

Heheheh...

Take care, all, enjoy Maisy May, and remember - folks.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #19
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
Pholy, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Don't feel obliged - but if you happen to wander over to Amazon and post a review, however short, I'll be very grateful...

Woohoo! Thanks for reading, and reporting back

Yep, I haven't been harassing her via her husband AT ALL. No, really!!

Heheheh...

Take care, all, enjoy Maisy May, and remember - folks.
BELIEVE me I COULDN'T make Wendie do anything she didn't want too,

Besides, She's BIGGER than me, and NOT afraid to HIT me

She's Reading MAISY MAY because SHE wants too

I did once tell her I was in CHARGE ....

Need I say more ?
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 AM   #20
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Man! I'm bummed. My download didn't work to my phone. It won't open! I wish I could just somehow download directly from the internet to the phone and read! (I'm on vacation now, away from my computer). I did read dead(ish) at the airport and posted my smashwords review (from my crackberry) moments before I had to board. Hope I spelled things correctly... ;D
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #21
nomesque
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Man! I'm bummed. My download didn't work to my phone. It won't open! I wish I could just somehow download directly from the internet to the phone and read! (I'm on vacation now, away from my computer). I did read dead(ish) at the airport and posted my smashwords review (from my crackberry) moments before I had to board. Hope I spelled things correctly... ;D
I love that you took time to review before you boarded! *smooch*

Can you get it via email on your phone?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #22
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Dreams tried sending it to me last night and I tried redownloading again via phone only and neither was successful but I will read it! I'll see what magic I can work with mom's computer
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #23
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Dreams tried sending it to me last night and I tried redownloading again via phone only and neither was successful but I will read it! I'll see what magic I can work with mom's computer
What a pain! I hope you sort it out soon Pesky technology, stops working at the worst times.

You should at least have plenty of other stuff to read for now, right?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #24
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
July seems to have brought a crop of Roun Tuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
It's NOT American???

I hope you enjoy it, when you do get around to it
In fact, I did enjoy this short story quite a bit. I started reading this afternoon, during slow bits at work, and finished up at home after cuing-up Newsboys mp3s on the computer. (I had an all aussiee evening!) I'll post a review on Smashwords, as promised.
Spoiler:
I think the characters are well-developed for a short story. Maisy's complexities develop through the story, especially given the events of the story, this makes a lot of sense.
I feel the questions raised about the Bible's view of sexual-sin (of the varieties mentioned in the book) are not addressed fully, although — when Maisy turns up preggers, her boyfriend all but abandons her, she's rejected by her pseudo-friends, the church, and seemingly every one but her mum and the creepy school counselor — the response may be interpreted as this is why you don't do those things. I will allow, that the format of a short story cannot fully or properly address those questions, so thank you for not trying to make it appear otherwise.
It IS entirely proper to raise questions about people not being (at least) personally admonished about gossip, pride, and being unloving. Jesus gave the world permission to judge the genuineness of His followers by the Love they had for each other, and for those outside the Church. Maisy is one of the kids in youth group I always worry about, but because I'm a married male in my 50's, I won't approach. The creep factor is too high.
I really love Maisy's Mother. She's a gem. She loves Maisy unconditionally, as a parent should, as the "mature Christians" in her church should.
Hurry for Mrs Jansen. When Maisy asked for help, she didn't back off or make excuses. I like how she let Maisy in on something that, probably, most of the congregation did not know.
All in all, well done. I'll recommend this with caution among my Christian friends, and with a little less caution to those friends outside the Church.
I'd figured out most of the aussie slang by context, one exception (left undefined) being ZOMG. I was pretty sure OMG meant the same it does in the States (“Oh, My Goodness,” right?)

I'll rephrase the author’s warning. This book has cussin’, teen sex, homosexuality, and portrays Christians as the fault-filled, sometimes judgmental persons we often are. It does the same for apparent non-Christians. So take your lumps, and say ‘Thank you, may I please have another?’

Last edited by Poppa1956; 07-16-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #25
nomesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa1956 View Post
In fact, I did enjoy this short story quite a bit. I started reading this afternoon, during slow bits at work, and finished up at home after cuing-up Newsboys mp3s on the computer. (I had an all aussiee evening!) I'll post a review on Smashwords, as promised.
I'll rephrase the author’s warning. This book has cussin’, teen sex, homosexuality, and portrays Christians as the fault-filled, sometimes judgmental persons we often are. It does the same for apparent non-Christians. So take your lumps, and say ‘Thank you, may I please have another?’

Poppa, thanks for the review - and the recommendations I'm glad you DID enjoy Maisy May. Interesting that you point out the questions raised, but not answered. That was my intent - to invite people to think about the issues without telling them what their conclusion should be. Although Maisy will answer them for herself, and Mark for himself - and it's possible that the two answers will be substantially different. Life's rarely simple enough for two people to look at the same issue and come up with the exact same answer.

We all have to go through the adjustment from our little childhood circle's worldview to the bigger picture, I guess. I'd like to think Maisy May will help kids feeling the disconnect between reality and church.

Tags
freebie