Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
youcanneverknow
youcanneverknow began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 4
Highlights showing back up in Calibre

Hello everyone

I'm transferring my books onto an iPad4 then highlighting as I go. But I was wondering whether I could then transfer this highlighted version of the book back into Calibre? And hence have the highlights show up on Calibre's programme.

I understand that you can export - via e-mail - the quotes from the iPad. But what if i change device? As I'm looking to do (the Ipad's not mine). I'd like the quotes to come with me

Thanks for any help you can offer
Best

Ben
youcanneverknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Most likely information about the highlights are stored in a separate file, not inside the ebook. And it is different for each ebook reader app. It might be possible to figure out what files are involved and copy them over to another device that use the same app, but calibre can't help you with that, I am afraid.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by youcanneverknow View Post
Hello everyone

I'm transferring my books onto an iPad4 then highlighting as I go. But I was wondering whether I could then transfer this highlighted version of the book back into Calibre? And hence have the highlights show up on Calibre's programme.

I understand that you can export - via e-mail - the quotes from the iPad. But what if i change device? As I'm looking to do (the Ipad's not mine). I'd like the quotes to come with me

Thanks for any help you can offer
Best

Ben
The Annotations plugin retrieves highlights and annotations from a couple of iPad reader applications, storing them to a custom column in calibre.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
I don't think there is any way to save annotations/highlights in an ebook file (like mobi or epub). I convert books to PDF using calibre and then read and annotate them on the ipad using PDF Expert. Those annotations will stay with the PDF file and are visible in any PDF reader.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
youcanneverknow

Hi ichbindasauge thanks for your response - but are you then able to then export what you've highlighted/ the notes attached to them? as you can with iBooks?

I don't annotate really, but just highlight and note.

Thanks for your help
Advert
Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
youcanneverknow

And also, how does the highlighted text and the annotated notes attacked to them appear in exported form? Any chance of a screen shot?

I don't need whatever system I'm going to try and use to have annotations particularly, but it would be nice if they kept the actual colours of the highlight, as iBook does:

Many thanks again
Old 07-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
youcanneverknow

What does the exported highlights and notes look like on PDF Expert? Any chance of a screen shot?

I like iBook's export attached, where the highlights are still in the colours - that makes it quick and easy to organise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 16.51.06.png
Views:	433
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	107941  

Tags
calibre, highlight, ipad