Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 AM   #1
quek
Enthusiast
quek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enoughquek will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS500, Iliad
Queries on irex battery life & pdf capability

Hi everyone

I am thinking of replacing my broken prs500 with irex and have the following queries:

a. I read the following statement on the irex wiki but is not sure if this is still true with the latest firmware(ver2.10.2). May I have some comments from irex owners please?

===========
Short Battery Life and not as advertised (admitted by iRex never to surpass approx. 10 hours, 15 hours with new, larger battery)
===========

b. It seems that web browsing is now possible with the homebrewed Dillo browser. May I have a pic of the browser in action please? e.g. displaying a wikipedia page or yahoo main page.

c. How is the capability of ipdf like for large pdf files of sizes approx 45Mb(about 800pages)? Can it display technical papers well? Attached a sample.

Thanks for your help : )
Quek
quek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I get 10-12 hours per charge on mine, less if I use the pen to make a lot of notes while reading. It recharges fairly quickly, but it's fairly awkward to use while plugged in.

I tried your sample document and I thought it was fairly readable in portrait mode, though the text was a bit small (try photocopying at 50% or whatever gets you A5 size (half-sheet) and see what you think). I also tried the landscape mode, but with a two-column page layout, I personally find the landscape display to be really annoying. I read journal articles on mine in regular portrait mode and it works well for me. The display dpi is high enough that the formulae, tables, diagrams, etc. are clear enough for me to read them easily.

That being said, if you don't think you'll use the touchscreen, e.g. to make notes on your PDF files, you'll be paying a lot for the iLiad with not a lot of extra functionality over something like the Sony Reader or the upcoming Bookeen model. If you'll use the stylus and/or wireless functions, it could be worth it for you. I like mine a lot, but I bought it used and paid less than full price for it.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
I can read slightly above about 400 pages (Times New Roman 10 point) with one battery charge, that should be the 10 hours indeed
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote