Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
bitterbug
bitterbug began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 / Kobo Vox
Pasting creates DIVS but not Paragraphs?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I've been browsing for a bit and read the manual and didn't see it.

I volunteered to format a friend's self-published PDF into ePub. I cut and pasted segments of text rather than just passing the whole document through a converter (maybe I should have).

Anyway, I've got it looking just the way I want except for a couple of minor details.

All of my paragraphs appear as DIVS and not one has a P tag. So every paragraph butts up against the previous one with no space between. Creating an ebook from scratch in Sigil does lay down the P tags, so I'm a little confused about why DIVs get created but Ps don't. I see this as PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair) and not a software issue

Secondly I created a section at the end of the book for all the footnotes he has created. I used a numbered list, but on the Sony PRS600 this text flows off the right of the screen. I see the same thing with any document that uses PRE so I'm assuming I'll just have to fake the numbered list and hope that reflow takes care of his source links.

And finally, I've got a functioning TOC that has sections and subsections. It works nicely in Sigil and the Ubuntu ebook viewer but appears blank in the PRS-600 TOC viewer. Is this an issue I may run into in other devices, or did I bugger things up?

I've only got a couple of bucks in Paypal but I'm off to donate. Cheers
bitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
bitterbug

Wow, I love that I can do a search and replace on the opening DIV statements for every paragraph, click on the preview window and Sigil will go through and update the closing tags for every paragraph from /DIV to /P. And only updates the relevant ones instead of changing every last one. Saved a ton of time across a 100 page book

I only had $4.55 in my paypal account but fired it over last night. Cheers.
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, bitterbug.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Pasting in the WYSIWYG window can cause the DIV. To ensure you get exactly what you want you might want to use the code view.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
bitterbug

By the time I got the book formatted the way I wanted I was working exclusively in the code window and CSS and only using the preview for reference. Things went a lot more smoothly for me then

Thanks for the welcome and comments.
Advert