Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #17896
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So I just completed Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson. It was a long, but informative and carefully researched book about the title subject, but so much more. It would interest anyone who has ever seen the film Lawrence of Arabia. And if you haven't you really should. I would highly recommend the book to anyone interested in a comprehensive history of how the political and religious boundaries that exist in the Middle East came to be, as well as the seemingly never ending conflicts that are the result.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #17897
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So I just completed Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson. It was a long, but informative and carefully researched book about the title subject, but so much more. It would interest anyone who has ever seen the film Lawrence of Arabia. And if you haven't you really should. I would highly recommend the book to anyone interested in a comprehensive history of how the political and religious boundaries that exist in the Middle East came to be, as well as the seemingly never ending conflicts that are the result.
I read it a month or two ago and could not agree more.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #17898
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just started 'Swept Away by a Kiss' - Katherine Ashe - well tell me who doesn't need a good dose of escapism with all the grim news around at the moment?
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #17899
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading The Hunt for Red October on my Kindle in memory of Tom Clancy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	113214  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #17900
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've almost finished with Stephen King's "Joyland." It's an 'entertaining' read, as are most of his books, but... I can't help thinking it's almost a dark Garrison Keillor slice of life sort of tale. I had this same feeling with his "1963" book. Rambling on and on like a shaggy dog story, and at the end, just sort of stopping, rather than finishing with a bang. I've another 50 pages to read in "Joyland" and I'm hoping that he doesn't do this same thing here. I'd rather see an actual resolve of the murders, rather than another 'oh well, I guess I won't do that' ending. I'm enjoying the read, but I'd love to see it actually go somewhere.

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Keep going .

I did. I finished it yesterday and I'm sorry to say that all he did was 'end' the story. Sure, he threw in a little psychic play with the kid at the fun house 'freeing' the ghost, and telling mom to save Dev's life because a ghost told him to, but there was no 'power' to the ending. It just ended. There was no oomph! It came as no surprise when he reveled the killer. It felt as if King were simply tired of writing that particular book and took the easiest way out to stop. This was the same feeling I got when finishing '1963.' But.....

Please don't misunderstand... I enjoyed reading the book, and didn't 'mind' the ending. It just wasn't the rock 'em, sock 'em sort of ending I'd expect from a top-rated novelist. It felt more like interesting journal entries rather than a novel.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 10:50 PM   #17901
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Please don't misunderstand... I enjoyed reading the book, and didn't 'mind' the ending. It just wasn't the rock 'em, sock 'em sort of ending I'd expect from a top-rated novelist. It felt more like interesting journal entries rather than a novel.

Stitchawl
I find that it's become harder and harder for authors to accomplish this.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #17902
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Has anyone read any ribald classics? I haven't, but I've just started reading a book called Mandragora by an indie author, H. D. Greaves. It's based on a notorious play, The Mandrake by Niccolò Machiavelli - of which I know absolutely nothing.

However, my complete lack of exposure to this kind of perverse, 'naughty' comedy drew me to this work. I'm about 25% in and enjoying it. I wonder if crass comedies like "Are You Being Served?" were derived from this type of literature?
I finished this book and thought it was a lot of fun. It reminded me of a book version of Blackadder, a TV series I really enjoyed. Naughty, witty and, overall, delicious. I give it a strong 3.5 -> 4 stars.

Quote:
I'm going to start on Black Swan Green now by David Mitchell. I bought this book on sale a while ago and was encouraged by the responses from the literary book club when it was selected back in September 2012. So I'm only a year late.
Also finished this one. I loved this, but I've always liked tortured youth coming-of-age novels. I was around the same age as the protagonist at the time the story was set, so there was just the right uncomfortable edge to it. I spent my adolescence in a boarding school, where the social pressures of youth were pretty obvious and inescapable. I always find it interesting to see that a boy feels as trapped in a township as I felt in a school. I'm giving it 5 stars because I thought the nostalgic element was enhanced by some pretty impressive poetic devices. I particularly enjoyed the repetition or evolution of certain thoughts and phrases in different situations to give the words or expressions different meanings.

And the small tie-in with Cloud Atlas was a bit of fun as well because the whole notion of that particular novel becomes stronger by an echo of it being injected into a completely different story.

So now, I'm freed up to start The Secret River for the literary book club. I bought this a while ago and had planned to read it, so I was delighted when it was chosen as this month's book club read. It gives me all the excuse I need to move it up the TBR list. I'm looking forward to reading it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #17903
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've just finished "Murder on the Orient Express" by Agatha Christie. Her 20th book, originally published in 1934. What more needs to be said about this one, other than that it's one of the all-time classics of crime fiction? A wonderful read.

A side-note: at the very start of the book, Poirot is returning to England by train after clearing up an affair in Syria; that affair is revealed in the book "Murder in Mesopotamia", published a couple of years after this one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #17904
EugeneGant
EugeneGant began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple
Recently discovered John Banville. Reading 'The Sea' for which he won the Man Booker Prize. Simply stunning writing.
EugeneGant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #17905
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneGant View Post
Recently discovered John Banville. Reading 'The Sea' for which he won the Man Booker Prize. Simply stunning writing.
Thanks for that. I bought that book a while ago but haven't got to it yet. Looks like I'm going to enjoy it.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #17906
EugeneGant
EugeneGant began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple
Before starting any new work of fiction, I need to know the artist and what makes him/her tick. This is a great introduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJAw4Pdq9CE ~Enjoy!
EugeneGant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #17907
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneGant View Post
Before starting any new work of fiction, I need to know the artist and what makes him/her tick. This is a great introduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJAw4Pdq9CE ~Enjoy!
Thanks for that. I found it really inspirational.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #17908
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Proof that the weather has turned colder, I've been on a reading frenzy this weekend.

Eternal Beauty by Linda Prather
Bed of Bones - Cheryl Bradshaw
Out from Under - Selene Chardou
and I'm halfway through Hat Dance by Carmen Amato, excellent thriller.
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #17909
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I'm reading Dust, the final installment of the Wool series (or Silo series, I think they are called) by Hugh Howey. Excellent, I am dying to see how this turns out.

And to show how totally eclectic my reading tastes are, after months of having this as a library hold, I finally made the top of the long list and downloaded "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks. But I have to finish Dust first. Sometimes I can read multiple books at the same time, but not this time.

Last edited by 49Kat; 10-15-2013 at 10:26 AM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #17910
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I decided to start The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle which is the and the fourth Sherlock Holmes novel, seventh overall. I watched the Sherlock series produced by BBC a couple weeks ago and now I am picturing Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman throughout the story. I can't even remember who I pictured before this.
I really should have read these long ago. Oh well, no timelike the present.

Next is on to Doctor Izard which is the the October Book Club selection. Then I will read The Bone Collector which came in over the weekend.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote