Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #436
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Thanks, nicabod.

I think you're right. One of the things you give up when you buy any ultra-cheap electronics seems to be good, well-written firmware. I never had the kind of issues with USB connections some people here are reporting, but the fact that the messages are in that state is disappointing.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #437
agold
agold began at the beginning.

Device: Craig
try this for a modem: http://junefabrics.com/android/download.php
I have been using it for a long for my laptop.....anywhere
agold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #438
nicabod
nicabod began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook, refurbed
Just a bit of follow-up on my 738b: Had a horrid, frustrating time trying to make a wireless connection. Not sure, but it seems that the tablet and my router shouldn't both be set up to automatically choose a channel for the connection. When I told both the router and the tablet to use a designated channel, that seems to have been what finally made it work. Along the way, it put up misleadingly-worded messages (see a recent post about this). In particular, "Out of range" was absurd.

I rooted it (wrote to the SD card from my desktop machine, and the tablet, while booting, undoubtedly "looked at" the SD card to see if there was anything interesting; there was. Intriguing to watch the yellow messages. (It took many minutes!) IIrc, I used Flushs firmware; that got me far enough (semi-root, sort of) to download a true root-access file manager. Again, intriguing; I'm quite familiar with Linux file structure, and this was recognizable, but different in many ways.

I also added a market app., and downloaded too many interesting apps, but didn't install most (ran out of energy; I'm 75, and don't lead a sensible life (too dull!)). (My T-shirt should read "I destroy operating systems", with a mandatory footnote "only my own".)

Considering that the local Rite Aid might still have some Craig netbooks, I dug for a review, and found it interesting:
<http://www.5gadgets.com/2011/11/99-android-netbook/#comment-12> I heartily agree that what we paid for Craig tablets and netbooks is a good price for the hardware, but, Good Lord -- the software (especially drivers and the like) is an horror show! Otoh, the Android kernel and a lot of its "core" software is probably quite the equal of a good Linux distro*; I'm confident that there are lots of capable, responsible developers "out there". *I like Mint; am soon going to try the Cinnamon desktop. What's gone terribly wrong (and in a very competitive market, at that) is that Android is sometimes customized for a given product by adequately-capable developers who seem not to be able to test anywhere near adequately. Did Craig choose a good group of developers? Methinks, hardly likely. Unfortunately, I lost track of a fascinating post by a Chinese gentleman who is intimately familiar with what's going on over in Shenzhen, including the Google Android software package constrained by license terms.

I booted up earlies this afternoon looking for any posts by (preferably non-malicious) hackers who have done Good Things with the netbook. Tentatively, concluded that the $100 and my chances of having a netbook that would do what I hope (hopes are not high) just don't match; that money would be far better spent on an Arduino (although it wouldn't do what I want.)

Last call! PHOTOS, if anyone wants, of the innards of a 738b, incl. well-focused* hi-res shots of the electronics -- JPEGs of maybe 3 MB. If interested, holler; I'm set up for e-mail notification if anyone posts a reply here.

*Focus failures: I think it's quite likely that most digital cameras have "double-touch" (I think that's a term from pipe organ tech.) "shutter" pushbuttons. Gentle pressure closes one set of contacts; a harder squeeze trips the shutter. Autofocus and auto-exposure both happen (typically) when you squeeze gently. I suspect that oodles of people don't know this, and don't give autofocus time to settle; it takes at least
tens and often 100s of milliseconds for it to settle. A good, hard, quick squeeze gives shutter priority, in focus, or not. "Better to get that shot /now/ than wait for autofocus to settle" seems to be the thinking. (I'm not totally off-topic; I suspect that the photos at the link I gave above are rather-badly defocused because the author didn't know this. (He's not dumb...)

Last thought: What are the rates of returns on Craig Androids? How many who bought them are quite disappointed, but haven't returned them? I don't know. Now, off to take a peek at Brian's Web site.

[P.S. I proofread this, and when I tried to post, I was told to log in. I had already done so, I'm certain! Fortunately, I'd saved this text. Spending 3/4 of an hour on a long message, only to see it hopelessly vanish, is psychological torture-by-software that simply must not happen, but does. It seems standard, in fact. /end rant]

Best,
[nb]
nicabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #439
nicabod
nicabod began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook, refurbed
"Bit" of follow-up? Not really; no. (No need to keep this message.)

Best,

[nb]
nicabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #440
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just wanted to thank you for having a peek at my website, Nicabod.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #441
kizzle
kizzle began at the beginning.

Device: craig 2.2
This is all new to me. But i got the craig 2.2. I have no home computer yet but there has got to be a way i can get android apps on tablet... Is it possible to download app on my phone and save it to sd card then put it on tablet or anything like that?????? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #442
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
You need to root the tablet in order to install the Android Market. Do you have any tech savvy friends with a computer who could help you out?
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #443
agold

Have to be careful when rooting.....most instructions are for rooting the Craig CMP738-A and not the CMP738-B. So check your model number before you try to root using the instructions in this forum.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #444
bhartman36
Wizard

agold: Is the CMP738-B different? I don't have the newer one, but I thought the process was the same.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #445
agold

The CMP738-B runs on the Android 2.2 and the ROM used in this forum (CMP-738a-update-2011-01-26-rls4.7z ) is for use with the CMP738-A which uses Android 2.1 operating system.
What I have done is used my google account to access android apps from amazon and google because there is no update as yet for the CMP738-B. Hopefully Craig will put an update out there at some point.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #446
ZevMudkip
ZevMudkip began at the beginning.

Device: Craig CMP7738b
For anyone with the B-version: How did you get the root?

I went to this from the first page but it did not work when I tried.

Help?

I can connect to the internet. I just don't have Android Market. I do have the Amazon app store, and that file converter...I think I'm going to fix it up, give it to a friend for what I paid (maybe a little more), and go out, and buy the Lenovo A1 which will have ICS by June they claim.
ZevMudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #447
Skye
Skye began at the beginning.

Device: Craig 7" tablet
Question

I just got mine yesterday, and have just found this site. Can any of you give a gal help finding the sites and such to find my way around this machine? Only my 14 yr old knows how to work it-my sister said she would not do without hers!
thanks so much!
Skye
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #448
kimmymarie.25
kimmymarie.25 began at the beginning.

Bought a rooted CRAIG tablet from Ebay

I bought the tablet and it says that is rooted. I had a Samsung Droid Charge and am a little familiar with rooted android os. It will not allow me on market to download facebook, mail, etc. it says the apps are not compatible with the device. Firmware under setting says 2.2. Can someone please help me and make it simple?? Thanks!
kimmymarie.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #449
cosgrove
cosgrove began at the beginning.

Device: CMP738A
Talking Get the CMP738A for $62.12

CVS has this device on sale for $78.88 at here - if the embedded link wont work for you, the URL is:
http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Craig-7-Touch-Screen-Tablet?skuId=887169

You can cut that down by $19.72 with the coupon code:
BLACKFRIDAY

They'll add $2.96 in tax - but if you're an ExtraCare member (CVS's loyalty card program) you get free shipping. Total cost $62.12!

Just thot I'd broadcast this - I just entered my order. Who wouldn't go for a reasonably-decent tablet for 60 bucks?!

Last edited by cosgrove; 11-22-2012 at 02:42 PM.
cosgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #450
vanhenry71
vanhenry71 began at the beginning.

Device: Craig 7 Inch Touch Tablet
Newbie here:

Bhartman36;

I have a Craig 7"tablet model CMP741e
I think you posted a way to make this thing work smoothly, you altered yours. Could you please again tell me how you did that. I am peeved i cant get the android store on mine and do what I need to make this functional. Thank you much.
vanhenry71 is offline   Reply With Quote