Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Gizmodo: Here's What's New in iTunes 9.2 (coming)

http://gizmodo.com/5557804/heres-whats-new-in-itunes-92

Quote:
iTunes 9.2 comes with several new features and improvements, including:
• Sync with iPhone 4 to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on-the-go
• Sync and read books with iPhone or iPod touch with iPhone OS 4 and iBooks 1.1
• Organize and sync PDF documents as books. Read PDFs with iBooks 1.1 on iPad and any iPhone or iPod touch with iPhone OS 4
• Organize your apps on your iPhone OS 4 home screens into folders using iTunes
• Faster back-ups while syncing an iPhone or iPod touch with iPhone OS 4
• Performance improvements make scrolling much faster
I wonder if the iPad gets iOS 4.0 in addition to iBooks 1.1 and iTunes 9.2. It was my understanding the next iPad OS upgrade was later this fall.

And damn, where is the iBooks browser in iTunes? I'd love to check the formatting on a book before sending it to the iPad.

Last edited by kjk; 06-07-2010 at 11:18 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
sounds like they'll release an update to ibooks on the ipad when the new itunes hits, which is probably when the new iphone itself is released.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
As to iOS 4.0 for the iPad, the last official word I heard on that was that it would not come to the iPad until sometime this fall... why the delay I don't know.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

the team that developed the ipad is different than the team that developed the iphone. they made many changes to 3.1 into 3.2 which the ipad ships with, these changes were not backwards compatible. so apple basically forked iOS between the devices.

i would guess they are taking the extra time to bring those changes back to iOS and prevent having two different development lines in the future. since it is just a software update they could release it as soon as it's ready, or drag it out until christmas.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
the team that developed the ipad is different than the team that developed the iphone...
That is so Microsoftian of them "Hey Zune, meet Vista...crash"

That makes sense though.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

i don't know why.. i only know what i read in developer blogs. i'm guessing at some point apple had to fork off 3.1 for the engineers to ready an OS for the iPad's different hardware, meanwhile they created 3.1.1.. 3.1.2.. 3.1.3.. for the iphone. they certainly couldn't put iphone development on hold for a year or so while they tweaked the ipad os and in the meantime were working on 4.0.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
The iPad will get iOS 4 but that was supposed to be later. So.... is iBooks 1.1 available for iPad users with OS 3.2 or do we have to wait until iOS 4 is ready? It didn't seem that clear but I get the feeling iBooks 1.1 is tied to iOS 4.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
The iPad will get iOS 4 but that was supposed to be later. So.... is iBooks 1.1 available for iPad users with OS 3.2 or do we have to wait until iOS 4 is ready? It didn't seem that clear but I get the feeling iBooks 1.1 is tied to iOS 4.
Yeah, it is confusing. But I just watched the keynote, and Jobs said its coming this month.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

did jobs say it was coming to the ipad this month? i must have missed that part. he can be tricky, if he didn't specifically say the ipad it might not be available to us this month. would be a disaster.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
did jobs say it was coming to the ipad this month? i must have missed that part. he can be tricky, if he didn't specifically say the ipad it might not be available to us this month. would be a disaster.
Yes! Well, it was in the iPad iBooks demo part, not the iPhone iBooks demo part.

I thought the idea of packaging iBooks as an app was to be able to separate it from iOS updates, and give them more flexibility with releases. But, maybe it was more of a way to give the semblance of fairness with other eBook apps-giving them more of an equal footing......nah..

edit: here is the quote, via Engadget: "10:11AM "So PDF viewing built right in. That enhancement will be out later this month. So that is my update for the iPad."

Last edited by kjk; 06-08-2010 at 03:40 PM.