Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Gen 3 Update to 1.5

Okay, it's been a while since the Holy Grail was released; There are threads for 2.0 - but none for specifically for 1.5.....

Has everyone gone to 2.0 ?!

If you went for 1.5 - any thoughts, good, bad and the downright ugly ...... ?

(Me , I'm still on the fence ......)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
ggendel
Connoisseur
ggendel is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook 3
I tried 1.5 and then decided to go with 2.0. I used calibre to convert the books I'm currently reading. So far, I'm happy with the switch. One very large epub gave it some difficulty when it was doing it's setup scan, but I figure I'd look at it later.

One weirdness happens occasionally. If I press "down" it usually goes to the next screen. However, once in a while it goes to the previous page. I have to hit "right" to get passed this.
ggendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I went with 1.5 and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't have any expectations; but having folders is much more convenient than I thought it would be.
Can't see any improvement with PDFs though; which is a pity.
Still have USB conflicts with my Maxtor external drive when the CyBook is connected to my PC - but dunno if it's reasonable to hope a firmware upgrade might resolve that.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
One weirdness happens occasionally. If I press "down" it usually goes to the next screen. However, once in a while it goes to the previous page. I have to hit "right" to get passed this.
"right" is next page. "down" is next link.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I installed v2.0 to evaluate it but I intend to reflash with v1.5. I appreciate that they provided both options.

It's great that they added the ability to select fonts in ADE as well as the embolden feature. The thing that's bothering me is the page number on the right of the page. The book I'm reading has very small margins so it fill the entire screen (I like this) but when I get into the triple digits in page numbers the page number is overwriting the last character of the word. They really need to include an option to turn this off or change it to a simple small tick that shows the page break but doesn't grow.

If I have to strip off the DRM and edit a style sheet to get the ebook the way I want I figure I might as well convert the epub to Mobipocket and read it with v1.5. Then I get my dictionaries and thesaurus back.

I did have one lockup on boot with v2.0 so it appears they haven't fixed this yet. Has anyone experienced it with v1.5 yet?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
1.5 is great for me !
Faster to start, the possibility to browse faster with the nav button (in Library, in books, in Lookup mode, even in menus !), be able to change rapidly the size of font with the buttons in the right side, and of course Folders view... All great points !

The only problem was with the dictionaries and the delay of the search, as it seems now that it scans through all the subfolders.
Problem solved with Folder view and the folders/subfolders/ebooks in an folder parallel to eBooks folder, and only the dictionaries in eBooks. (Thanks Chlorine for the idea !)
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I tried V 2.0 also but I was not happy with the way ePub looked like. Problems with margins, to much or none at all. The mobi versions of the same book looked great. Not picking up meta data was another thing and I also lost my dictionary so the choice was easy, I went back to 1.5.

Folder support...well, it's nice but I don't really know why I want it. I want to be able to sort on tag. What kind of folder structure I choose today, next week I want an other way of searching. So it is nice to have but that is all.

I had page numbers in V2.0 but to me they are a relic of the past and I never had any use for them

A working delete button is nice and the +/- buttons for font size are nice
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
I tried V 2.0 also but I was not happy with the way ePub looked like. Problems with margins, to much or none at all. The mobi versions of the same book looked great.
Yes, you seem to have to fix the ePub yourself to get margins that are OK.

Quote:
I had page numbers in V2.0 but to me they are a relic of the past and I never had any use for them
Page number and total number of pages is essential for me and I had stopped using my Gen3 because of this lack. Now I have started to use it again. Knowing the length of a book in some unit and knowing how much you have read in one sitting in the same unit is not a relic of the ast but essential for e.g. planning your reading to finish at a specific day.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
1.5 seems to work fine for me, no known bugs.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
graypal
graypal began at the beginning.

Device: cybook opus, kindle paperwhite
I have tried them both and settled on 1.5 just because of the dictionaries and RSS feeds from mobi reader software.

No problems at all, and I love the way the dictionaries work. It was the one thing lacking with the 1.9 firmware.

I had a problem with one ebook because it kept on going back to the menu, or freezing when I selected it when using the 1.9 firmware. All my other books worked fine, so I thought it was just the one ebook causing the problem. When I went to the 1.5 firmware and converted it to mobi it works fine now.

I may change in the future if I can't get the books I want in the mobi format, but for now I am very happy with 1.5.

Gray
graypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I'm very pleased with 1.5, no problems so far, but I have to say I also haven't been following the epub issue closely enough to want to switch out of mobi, where all my books are. I suspect that if dictionary support shows up for epub I'll consider moving.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
wow
- many thanks
- that's a lot of positive things being said about 1.5.
Seems like Bookeen have come up trumps for our Christmas 2009 present .... here's hoping for a stable 2010 ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #13
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Still have USB conflicts with my Maxtor external drive when the CyBook is connected to my PC
A problem with drive letters? You can reserve letters for USB devices even if they aren't connected.
Google on assigning drive letters, although I expect it's in Windows Help.
Sorry if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, that's not what's being talked about here. With some external hard disks, connecting the Gen3 momentarily breaks the connection to the hard disk, which can lead to data loss, if data is being transferred at the time. I've seen it myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that's not what's being talked about here. With some external hard disks, connecting the Gen3 momentarily breaks the connection to the hard disk, which can lead to data loss, if data is being transferred at the time. I've seen it myself.
Yep, Harry's described what I'm experiencing - but thanks for the suggestion Conor.

Also, post 1.5 upgrade, the +/- buttons aren't changing the font size - does it only work with particular fonts?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote