Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I personally think that .AZW3 is far superior compared to .AZW.
You have misunderstood my post. Nobody is doubting - certainly not me - that KF8 is a superior file format to Mobi7, but we weren't talking about formats, but file extensions.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-29-2013 at 05:12 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:05 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Nope. azw3 is the extension amazon uses for all pure kf8 files it sends to kindle devices. Why would you think I'd go around inventing my own file extensions, there's enough confusion around amazon's ebook formats already.
I should have known better - my humble apologies .
Advert
Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 AM   #48
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have misunderstood my post. Nobody is doubting - certainly not me - that KF8 is a superior file format to Mobi7, but we weren't talking about formats, but file extensions.
Sorry for misunderstanding
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #49
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Once you do have the AZW3 file in Calibre, use the kindleunpack plugin to shift the contents of the AZW3 into an ePub.
Thanks. It worked like a charm. Can you (or anyone else) confirm that the AZW3 to EPUB conversion within kindleunpack keeps the html and css-files (pluss embedded fonts - if any - and such "stuff") unchanged?
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #50
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
OK.
So far you have quite a few interesting suggestions, but none of the posters answered your straightforward questions.

As for suggestions, if you do sell Paperwhite as some people helpfully suggested, how will you read ebooks purchased from Amazon? There are few e-ink readers that read epub AND mobi out of box (PocketBook does, but it doesn't have front-lit E-ink screen yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woel View Post
... Kindle Paperwhite (KPW), and I have been looking into how to best get ePub support on this device. The options I have found so far are Duokan, CoolReader 3 and Hacked Up Reader. In my understanding, Duokan is an OS that can be installed parallel to the original OS on the KPW, while the other two are "apps" that are launched through the interface for books on the Kindle. Based on this, I have some questions:
  1. Which one of these three methods for accessing ePub books would you recommend?
  2. What are the pros and cons of each?
  3. Do you have other suggestions?
I personally prefer Coolreader by Crazy Coder. I have configured it by editing config files in a tex editor on a PC. I have configured regions on the screen that you can tap, hold and tap with two fingers. I have also configured things like default justification by editing the css files.

Pros and cons of some of apps:
I do not like Duokan. It completely takes over your Kindle (it will still let you reboot in an Original Kindle environment. They have completely hijacked the Kindle, linking it to their sites ...
The one think I really disliked about Duokan was the fact that after installation it boots into Chinese user interface and you have to look up picture guide to switch it to English. You only have to do this once.
As I said, I do prefer Coolreader, because I could configure it and it seems to display books the way I like. It doesn't have dictionary.

Other options:
I have mentioned Coolreader by Crazy coder and Duokan.
There is also KUAL. It is not an application that would let you read epubs, but it might be needed to start some of applicaions for reading. There are also many very interesting modules for KUAL.
Have a look at JBPatch - it lest you to set some things like margins and hyphanation for the default Kindle reading app.
There is also Kindle PDF viewer. Do not let the name confuse you, it also reads many, *many*, other formats, including doc, for example. Kindle PDF viewer doesn't run on Paperwhite, but there is a fork (early beta at the moment) that does run on Kindle Paperwhite, See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209276
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #51
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by woel View Post
Since a lot of people seem to be saying "why would you buy a Paperwhite if you want ePub support???", I just want to clarify. This concerns lending ebooks from my local library, since I want to support them and they use ePub predominantly. It doesn't concern any large amount of books.
fyi, all sony reader models have native support for the epub format and all current models have support for public library loaned ebooks in epub format. on the current models, i think you can also access your local library directly from the reader with a wifi connection in addition to sideloading with adobe digital editions or the sony reader desktop app.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #52
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Get calibre and, if necessary, The Tools, and convert the ePub to a kindle-native format like mobi or azw3.

I can vouch for azw3. Converting epub->azw3 on calibre has been amazing for me, no formatting issues like epub->mobi.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #53
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
There is one small problem though.

When converting to mobi, the Kindle says: "chapter complete" when you are at the very last page of a chapter. If you convert to AZW3, then it doesn't. It just states: "1 minute". It's a small detail, but I did notice it

I do not know if this also happens if you buy AZW3-books from Amazon.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #54
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
There is one small problem though.

When converting to mobi, the Kindle says: "chapter complete" when you are at the very last page of a chapter. If you convert to AZW3, then it doesn't. It just states: "1 minute". It's a small detail, but I did notice it

I do not know if this also happens if you buy AZW3-books from Amazon.
It does. Just one of several problems with the rather shoddily done AZW3 support. Would it have killed them to make the font sizes and line separations the same in the AZW3 and mobi readers?

(And I have now bought no less than six books from major publishers which prohibit font changes entirely by forcing an explicit font on every paragraph. It was really *helpful* of Amazon to enable publishers to arse around like that.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #55
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
(And I have now bought no less than six books from major publishers which prohibit font changes entirely by forcing an explicit font on every paragraph. It was really *helpful* of Amazon to enable publishers to arse around like that.)
This isn't really Amazon's fault; but they could have ignored inline styles of course.

This is the reason why I buy EPUBs only. I use Modify Epub in Calibre to kill all custom fonts in all books at once (when I buy a series), and then I go through them one by one, removing "font-family" from the CSS. Should a publisher use style="font-family: blabla;" in each paragraph, I can kill that with a search and replace, or a regular expression, if need be.

Designers are going through the same things they went through when the internet got mainstream, and that's learning that printed content is not the same as digital content.

Setting fonts, margins, line spacing and sizes in an e-reader is there for a reason: to enable the user to read a book like they want to. If you inhibit this functionality, you're aggravating your users/readers with your design instead of pleasing them.

Website designers (almost) got their head around that, but book designers / publishers didn't.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
It does. Just one of several problems with the rather shoddily done AZW3 support. Would it have killed them to make the font sizes and line separations the same in the AZW3 and mobi readers?
Be careful what you ask for. You might end up with line space in Mobi as bad as can be in AZW3. There is a way to fix the line spacing in AZW3. But that means modifying the font's metrics so it renders with less white space between lines. I've done it with Charis SIL and it works very well. Given that most eBooks with embedded fonts use Charis SIL, it's very easy to replace the version in the AZW3 with mine as long as you've stripped the DRM. Try them both and see which you like.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-21-2016 at 03:27 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
This isn't really Amazon's fault; but they could have ignored inline styles of course.

This is the reason why I buy EPUBs only. I use Modify Epub in Calibre to kill all custom fonts in all books at once (when I buy a series), and then I go through them one by one, removing "font-family" from the CSS. Should a publisher use style="font-family: blabla;" in each paragraph, I can kill that with a search and replace, or a regular expression, if need be.
You can do exactly the same thing with AZW3, of course, in Calibre. There's really no benefit to ePub in this.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #58
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

I don't want to rely on Calibre, or any other program as a single option for stuff like this. I can edit epubs with an unzip program and a plain text editor if need be. As far as I know, that can't be done with AZW3.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #59
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
Quote:

Setting fonts, margins, line spacing and sizes in an e-reader is there for a reason: to enable the user to read a book like they want to. If you inhibit this functionality, you're aggravating your users/readers with your design instead of pleasing them.
I do so agree. Can anyone tell me, if I use kindleunpack to extract the formats from a azw3 book and then reconvert to azw3, imposing my own formatting (INCLUDING left justification), will it work? I have tried just converting azw3 to azw3 but I can't get rid of the full justification.

ren
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you "impose your own formatting", then certainly it will work. It all depends, of course, how the book's creator has implemented full justification. Whatever method they've used, you'll need to identify and change it.

Tags
epub, file formats, kindle paperwhite