Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Megahurts
Megahurts began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile
Using two clients and one database?

I'm currently (and very happily) running Calibre on an old laptop and using the OPDS server to access our library via Moon+ reader on our android tablets. This is all working 100% OK.

I VNC onto the laptop from my desktop to add new titles, do conversions etc, which works ok, but thanks to the limited spec of the laptop can be very slow, especially when doing conversions and metadata updates. If I need to do any heavy work I normally close down Calibre on the laptop, and launch it on my desktop with the desktop copy pointing to a network share on the laptop containing the library.

I'm fine with doing things this way, but was wondering if it was possible to have two clients active at the same time? i.e. leave the 'master' copy running on the laptop when launching the copy on my desktop? Or it likely to screw up the database?
Megahurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Unfortunately, no, it's not possible. If two or more instances of Calibre access the database at the same time, it can become corrupted. I've seen talk of work being done on allowing multiple clients, but I don't know how advanced that is.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert