Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
pitt01
pitt01 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook / Nook Touch
Prevent sending covers to Nook Touch?

Sorry if this is obvious to anyone, but I'm stuck.

For the new Nook (second edition / touch capable) when an ebook is sent to the device, it sends the ebook file as well as the relevant cover file (usually a jpg).

Apparently, the new Nook does not recognize the cover images as belonging to the epub files, so they're all displayed as separate files within the Nook's document library, meaning it's getting unnecessarily cluttered. Example: If I send Book A, Book B, and Book C to the Nook, they show up as Book A.epub, Book A.jpg, Book B.epub, Book B.jpg, etc.

Is there a way to configure the Send to Device settings in Calibre so the cover is no longer sent? I remember changing the send preferences a few months back so ebooks weren't all sent over in individual folders, but it looks like Calibre's preferences have changed since then, so I couldn't figure out how to do it anymore.

It's not a huge problem, I just delete all the cover files before disconnecting the Nook right now.

Thanks for the help!
pitt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You saying that the Nook TSR doesn't need covers uploaded separately? If so you cannot change it, but I can change the driver for the next release. Since I only have the original Nook it's hard for me to know what exactly is needed.

If you delete the covers is the Nook able to display thumbnails for the ebooks?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
pitt01

As far as I can tell, the Nook Touch integrates the covers within the epub, but doesn't use the extra thumbnail .jpgs that calibre sends.

The My Files section it has it's own generic icon for epub files (image of a book that says Book on it). The image file for the cover is then listed next to it as its own file, but the Nook can't open it, and it's icon is just a ? on a blank page. (That's the icon view, the list view just lists all the files.)

When the epub files are opened to read, the first page is the cover within the epub (as far as I can tell). This works for files that I deleted the accompanying .jpg from the memory card, so I'm assuming the extra thumbnails aren't necessary.

I opened one .epub that had a cover image within the file structure and the nook couldn't read the book, so I'll load another one on to test.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doesn't the TSR have some kind of thumbnail view of the books? I am asking if the covers are visible in that view when you delete the cover .jpg files.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
pitt01

Ok, this is a little confusing to me, but it's showing books in two different ways.

If I'm on the Nook Touch, and I choose to look at My Library > Books in icon view, it will show the cover images. That's with the thumbnails that Calibre sends along completely deleted off the memory card. This isn't 100% of the time though, there's a book here or there that has a cover image in Calibre, but shows up as the generic icon on the Nook (I'm not concerned with that right now).

If I choose to look at My Library > My Files, which shows the file structure of the memory card, it just shows a generic book icon for any epub file.
Advert
Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The question is if you put back the .jpg file for one of the books that is showing a geenric cover, does the nook use the jpg file as the cover in the My Library > Books in icon view. Also do the .jpg files show up in the My library > Books view separately?
Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
pitt01

For books that show a generic cover in My Library > Book view, having the thumbnail .jpg that Calibre sends along has no effect. It still displays the generic cover icon. (The cover shows up fine when reading the book though, regardless of if there's an included thumbnail image). The thumbnail file itself does not show up in the My Library > Books view, only in the My Library > My Files view.

(I used Joshua Ferris - The Unnamed to test this. I send it along with and without a thumbnail of the actual cover, and then with and without a thumbnail of a cover generated by Calibre. It showed the cover after opening the book every time, but never displayed it when viewing the icon in Book view. It's a regular epub file, not converted from another format and other epubs work fine, so there's probably something wrong with the file itself.)
Old 06-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK in the next release I'll disable the thumbnail uploading for the Nook TSR
Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
jlbarr
jlbarr began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, ipod touch
After reading this thread, I deleted all of the jpg's on my NookColor and it also does not need the additional file. In fact it solved my problem of displaying books with the incorrect thumbnails. Now my books show up correctly with the correct thumbnail.

(edit) When scrolling thru the library quickly, the covers still shows up incorrectly sometimes. The incorrect cover picture is always the first thumbnail in the list. Does this behaviour occur for anyone else? I had thought that deleting the unneeded jpg's fixed this.

Last edited by jlbarr; 06-04-2011 at 09:42 AM.
jlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
davidnye
davidnye began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I've noticed that some books that show a generic cover thumbnail in the Library show the real cover normally when opening the book. A Nook TSR (now apparently called N2E) bug? Another one is that sideloaded Calibre content stored to My Files/Magazines or My Files/Newspapers shows up twice in the Library, but if it is moved to My Files/Books, it only shows up once, so I usually move it there.
davidnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
andru1
andru1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Extra covers on Nook Simple Touch

I just got my first e-reader,the Nook Simple Touch and found that I get the extra cover on Caliber "fetched news" items. I hope that this problem can be easily solved. Perhaps all the Nook models share the same issue. Also, how do you delete the extra jpg from the Nook? When I look at the Nook contents with Mac's Finder only the .epub file is shown.
andru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
andru1
andru1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Extra covers on Nook Simple Touch

I don't know what the real technical adjustment is but I saw that someone else recommended moving the magazine files to the book folder and that did the trick. Since I won't ever have too many items like this going currently this ad hoc fix seems to take care of my problem.
andru1 is offline   Reply With Quote