Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
Creating hyperlinks in Epubs

I am just starting to play around with creating epubs (from the ground up) for viewing on my new Sony 350. I would like to ask a very general question about creating hyperlinks/bookmarks in epubs. So far, I have been creating html files using Microsoft Frontpage, and then converting to epub using Calibre. I have put in bookmarks and hyperlinks (within the html document) exactly as I would when creating a web page. When I view the html document in a web browser, all the links work as they should. However, when I convert to epub using calibre, the links do not work correctly (either in the Calibre epub viewer or on the Sony 350). Some do not work at all, and others do not jump to the correct place (the page does not open with the bookmarked position at the top of the screen).

It seems that epubs need hyperlinks to be created in some particular way - could anyone please point me to some instructions about what I need to do to make them work correctly. I hope I'm not missing something obvious, but I have searched within this forum, and I haven't found anything so far.
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Links must be relative, since all files are in one big zip (epub) file. Please keep in mind, that it should be xhtml and not html.

Links could be like: <a href="../Text/chap4.xhtml#ref3" id="refer3">text</a>

Biggest change, the use of id instead of name.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
skypilotpete
skypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enoughskypilotpete will become famous soon enough

Device: Prs 350
Thanks very much for your helpful reply. I hadn't realised about the xhtml vs html aspect - I clearly have a lot of learning to do.
skypilotpete is offline   Reply With Quote