Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
guess32
guess32 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
iPad screen, Apple exclusive?

sorry

Last edited by guess32; 05-14-2010 at 09:53 AM.
guess32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
guess32 - not sure why you are apologising or deleting your text which was entirley reasonable!

In short, Apple does not have an exlusive with the iPad screens. Other devices will also have screens of similar quality, and the OLED (?) ones promise to be even better. I think they will all be expensive for a while though.

The eInk screens obviously are very different, and have pros and cons accordingly. I suspect we will see a Mirasol screen this year, but I have no idea on pricing.

I would decide whether you want a backlit screen or an eInk one based on discussion on the MR forums, and time you spend with the devices in store. If you like the idea of a backlit screen, I would get the least expensive iPad as soon as you can afford it. If a traditional eInk screen is for you - you will have to wait until much later in the year.

Personally, I would be staggered if Amazon doesn't come up with a clour eInk device at a significant discount to the iPad, saying it is designed to do one thing really well, rather than be an expensive compromise for lots. Whether you subscribe to that view is up to you (I don't!).

Whatever you decide, good luck.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by guess32 View Post
sorry
What for?
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Personally, I would be staggered if Amazon doesn't come up with a clour eInk device at a significant discount to the iPad, saying it is designed to do one thing really well, rather than be an expensive compromise for lots. Whether you subscribe to that view is up to you (I don't!).
I guess the question for amazon will be where they draw the line with the functionality of the next kindle, given that they have their own music and video downloads (at least in some countries) then it wouldn't be a huge surprise for them to also look to sell you more than just books when they bring out a colour device.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote