Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
That doesn't fit into this month's theme at all. It sounds like a common, garden-variety thriller.

This title will only fit into the theme if the reader was mentally challenged.
The term literature means different things to different people. Some of the other nominated books I would not call worth reading. But that's my opinion. And really, literature does not have to mean a dead author with a boring book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
That doesn't fit into this month's theme at all. It sounds like a common, garden-variety thriller.

This title will only fit into the theme if the reader was mentally challenged.
So why are you not picking on Midnight's Children?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why are you not picking on Midnight's Children?
Because it won the Booker Prize?

Hey, I thought you wanted a book in English by a live guy. There you go.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Because it won the Booker Prize?

Hey, I thought you wanted a book in English by a live guy. There you go.
I wasn't picking on Midnight's Children. I was asking Ea why not pick on that since it's description is one that makes it seem like a standard type of book. Ea seems to think just because a book is not "high brow" that it's not literature.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #65
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Out of curiousity, Jon... If the book clubs never choose what you consider *good books*, why do you show up month after month. I would think life would be too short and there's too much to read to be involved with groups that don't match your tastes. I'm beginning to believe you just enjoy being contrary.

On the other hand, *I* think we've got a good list of authors and books this month.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #66
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
I wasn't picking on Midnight's Children. I was asking Ea why not pick on that since it's description is one that makes it seem like a standard type of book. Ea seems to think just because a book is not "high brow" that it's not literature.
"Highly Challenging (especially difficult or long works we may be hesitant to choose otherwise)"

I think that she was questioning how "Highly Challenging" or "especially difficult" your suggestion was, not whether it should be considered "high brow" literature. That and I have not been following these discussions that long, but you do seem to have the same complaint every time. As though if the category was classic Greek pastoral romances you would complain that all the suggestions were dry and musty and by dead authors.

In fairness to you though in my opinion that are a few books that were nominated that do not meet the "Highly Challenging" or "especially difficult" criteria. But were they put forth as a provocation?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
"Highly Challenging (especially difficult or long works we may be hesitant to choose otherwise)"

I think that she was questioning how "Highly Challenging" or "especially difficult" your suggestion was, not whether it should be considered "high brow" literature. That and I have not been following these discussions that long, but you do seem to have the same complaint every time. As though if the category was classic Greek pastoral romances you would complain that all the suggestions were dry and musty and by dead authors.

In fairness to you though in my opinion that are a few books that were nominated that do not meet the "Highly Challenging" or "especially difficult" criteria. But were they put forth as a provocation?
In that case, my nomination doesn't fit. But I'll nominate one that does fit.

I'll nominate The Stand: Complete and Uncut by Stephen King. That does fit and is a very good book.

Quote:
This is the way the world ends: with a nanosecond of computer error in a Defense Department laboratory and a million casual contacts that form the links in a chain letter of death.

And here is the bleak new world of the day after: a world stripped of its institutions and emptied of 99 percent of its people. A world in which a handful of panicky survivors choose sides -- or are chosen. A world in which good rides on the frail shoulders of the 108-year-old Mother Abigail -- and the worst nightmares of evil are embodied in a man with a lethal smile and unspeakable powers: Randall Flagg, the dark man.

In 1978 Stephen King published The Stand, the novel that is now considered to be one of his finest works. But as it was first published, The Stand was incomplete, since more than 150,000 words had been cut from the original manuscript.

Now Stephen King's apocalyptic vision of a world blasted by plague and embroiled in an elemental struggle between good and evil has been restored to its entirety. The Stand : The Complete And Uncut Edition includes more than five hundred pages of material previously deleted, along with new material that King added as he reworked the manuscript for a new generation. It gives us new characters and endows familiar ones with new depths. It has a new beginning and a new ending. What emerges is a gripping work with the scope and moral comlexity of a true epic.

For hundreds of thousands of fans who read The Stand in its original version and wanted more, this new edition is Stephen King's gift. And those who are reading The Stand for the first time will discover a triumphant and eerily plausible work of the imagination that takes on the issues that will determine our survival.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #68
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I don't know if I can sit through that again; mind you I had the "original" or "regular" version. I don't think there was an uncut version at the time. It has been so long I don't even remember the ending, but I do remember being disappointed.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #69
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I don't know if I can sit through that again; mind you I had the "original" or "regular" version. I don't think there was an uncut version at the time. It has been so long I don't even remember the ending, but I do remember being disappointed.
Don't know for sure whether I read the uncut version but I remember it was very long (and I read it in the 90s) so it most likely was. I liked it well enough but I don't want to go there again, plus I don't read Stephen King anymore.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #70
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
In that case, my nomination doesn't fit. But I'll nominate one that does fit.

I'll nominate The Stand: Complete and Uncut by Stephen King. That does fit and is a very good book.
Sounds legitimate to me. Though with The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann, Paradise Lost by Milton and Ulysses by James Joyce each needing only one more vote to complete the five it may be a bit late for your suggestion to make the final five.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #71
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Don't know for sure whether I read the uncut version but I remember it was very long (and I read it in the 90s) so it most likely was. I liked it well enough but I don't want to go there again, plus I don't read Stephen King anymore.
Yes, very long! I read it in high-school so it was the late 80s, early 90s, and I also stopped reading Stephen King a few years after that.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #72
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I know we keep going around in the same circles here, but Stephen King really isn't my idea of a "literary" author, no matter how prolix he is.

Again, the Potter Stewart test: I know it when I see it, and Stephen King ain't it. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be read and enjoyed, but I don't think reading King and his ilk is the purpose of a literary book club.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #73
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I'll fifth paradise lost - mostly so we can move to a vote!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #74
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
We're ready to vote!

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED. We have our five nominations.

Regards,
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #75
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
The poll will be up shortly.

TGS, your final vote must have been bittersweet, since the other two books that had four votes each were ones you had originally nominated and seconded.

Vandy, I'm surprised that none of your nominations got seconded. I love War and Peace, but I've already read it. My last vote came down to a choice between The Tale of Genji or Leaves of Grass; it was like a coin toss deciding.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, challenging, literary, literature, nominations