Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Keeps losing shelf items from SD card

For the third time, my shelves have spontaneously purged all the items located on the microSD card. The items in main memory (a combination of side-loaded DRM-free, ADE DRM, and nookbooks) remain in their proper shelves. The books are still on the SD card and I can open them from the main library; they just get pulled from the shelves, so to speak.

Each time, it happened immediately after adding new files and removing old ones from the card. But, since it does not happen every time I add/remove files, I can't re-create the issue at will.

The first time it happened, I was using a class 4 card from my existing supply, and I assumed the card was at fault. Now that it has occured twice with a new Transcend 8 GB Class 6 microSDHC, I'm not so quick to blame the card.

B&N likes to make using side-loaded content as painful as possible (not entirely sarcasm), but I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I haven't experienced that problem (I don't currently use an SD card in my Touch). However, there are other issues with the Touch and what happens after you sideload files to it. As mentioned in another thread, it often loses the last page read whenever you sideload anything and then start reading again.

So, I think the Touch has some bugs in the whole connecting to a PC via USB area.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I haven't experienced that problem (I don't currently use an SD card in my Touch). However, there are other issues with the Touch and what happens after you sideload files to it. As mentioned in another thread, it often loses the last page read whenever you sideload anything and then start reading again.

So, I think the Touch has some bugs in the whole connecting to a PC via USB area.
Yes, there seems to be an issue with the USB connection. I would recommend you exit the book you're reading before connecting to the PC. Probably the safest is to be in the Home screen or in the Settings screen when in USB mode (avoid the Library and the Reader).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Yes, that's a good idea about not being in book or library. I think I'll try a sideload with using the Home pmode and see what happens. Meanwhile, I use bookmarks before I do any sideloads!

Last edited by RAH; 06-15-2011 at 07:40 PM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
This is definitely a bug with the Nook Touch losing track of the SD card. In the middle of filming our Nook Touch video review, all books on the microSD card miraculously disappeared. I was about to tap on a book in PDF format to show PDF handling and it was gone (along with all other books on the card). When this happens, I remove the card and re-insert it and it comes back.

Happily, I haven't had problems with it losing last read position in side-loaded books, but I do always exit to the home screen before connecting USB.

I've also noticed that if I use a card reader to side-load books, then insert the card, I get random errors like "can't read that book". A reboot fixes that.

- Lisa
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
trekchick, how many books do you have on your SD card? Is it just a handful or a large quantity like hundreds?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
trekchick, how many books do you have on your SD card? Is it just a handful or a large quantity like hundreds?
There are about 800 books on the SD card. Most of them are Sony store books. After the second time they poofed off the shelves, I put them in sub-folders by category, which works almost as well as shelves, and I can automate it with Calibre.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
trekchick
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
This is definitely a bug with the Nook Touch losing track of the SD card. <snip> I was about to tap on a book in PDF format to show PDF handling and it was gone (along with all other books on the card). When this happens, I remove the card and re-insert it and it comes back.

Happily, I haven't had problems with it losing last read position in side-loaded books, but I do always exit to the home screen before connecting USB.
<snip>
That happened to me my first day. I rebooted the nook and the SD card contents came back. I didn't have anything in shelves, yet. I'm wondering if something is making the nook dismount the card when it's not supposed to?

I go back to the home screen before I put the reader to sleep and before connecting to USB. I don't know why I do that; it's just a habit I've had since my Kindle 1 days.

p.s. that was a great video.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekchick View Post
There are about 800 books on the SD card. Most of them are Sony store books. After the second time they poofed off the shelves, I put them in sub-folders by category, which works almost as well as shelves, and I can automate it with Calibre.
The reason I asked is because I recall several threads related to the NC about weird issues - like books disappearing on shelves - happening when you had lots of books loaded on the SD card. It is one of the reasons that it annoys me that the STR has a limit on the amount of storage that you can sideload to in the internal memory. A limit of 1200 books or so on the SD card for the NC really sticks in my mind from similar posts on MR and on the help boards on the BN website. I found this thread which is similar to your issue but related to the NC. I am sure if you searched around you could find more info on the NC that might help you. Since the firmware is so similar, the NC and STR seem to have many common issues.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=110565
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I've had the problem happen with just 5 books on a microSD card.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 AM   #11
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
I've had the problem happen with just 5 books on a microSD card.
Something like what you all are describing is happening to me too.
Yesterday, for example, putting twice the Nook to sleep, I lost twice a part of contents of the shelves.
What confounds me is that I am losing just some shelf content, not all of them. By the way, most of my ebooks are on a microSD.
Plus something weird is also going on. Yesterday I had 188 books on my Nook, today they are 182. The weird thing happens when I try to recreate the shelves' content, and you have to choose within the books' list. Usually there are 7 book per page, so there are 7 books *26 pages= 182 books. Sometimes there are 27 pages, with 7 * 26 + 4 = 186 books!!! Or sometimes it only 2 more, therefore the number is 184.
So, the library keeps telling me there 182 books, the shelves' file list tells me 184.
There must a bug in the file scanner, I presume.
Anybody has the same problem ?
This points to
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
trekchick
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
What confounds me is that I am losing just some shelf content, not all of them. By the way, most of my ebooks are on a microSD.
If your issue is the same as mine, the items in main memory remain in the proper shelves when the SD card items un-shelve themselves. I can usually predict when it's going to happen because Nook briefly displays the SD card icon over the home page, as if it's detecting it for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Plus something weird is also going on. Yesterday I had 188 books on my Nook, today they are 182. The weird thing happens when I try to recreate the shelves' content, and you have to choose within the books' list. Usually there are 7 book per page, so there are 7 books *26 pages= 182 books. Sometimes there are 27 pages, with 7 * 26 + 4 = 186 books!!! Or sometimes it only 2 more, therefore the number is 184.
So, the library keeps telling me there 182 books, the shelves' file list tells me 184.
In your Library, does the drop-down list include an "Everything Else" filter? When I registered the Nook app, two multimedia media kid's books magically appeared in my account and then my Nook Touch auto-downloaded them. Nook can't play the content, and they didn't appear in the main library list, but they might have been in the Shelves list (I can't recall). If your two extras are the same multi-media books, they were difficult to remove. The file info only shows a message about incompatibility, so you can't click "Archive" to remove it from the device, and putting them in my Archive from the B&N website didn't remove them either (this might be fixed, my experience was on release day). I had to delete them from my library (on the website) to get rid of them.

Note: "Everything Else", like "Newsstand", shows up only when your Nook contains matching items.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If your issue is the same as mine, the items in main memory remain in the proper shelves when the SD card items un-shelve themselves. I can usually predict when it's going to happen because Nook briefly displays the SD card icon over the home page, as if it's detecting it for the first time.

... If your two extras are the same multi-media books, they were difficult to remove. I had to delete them from my library (on the website) to get rid of them.
Note: "Everything Else", like "Newsstand", shows up only when your Nook contains matching items.
Thanks for the tips, I shall try follow your advice.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I checker and it all came out as you said. So that points to a bug in the SD handling, as you have said.
Ok, I will not recreate the shelves if their content keeps in disappearing, that is pointless.
Hopefully a firmware upgrade will cure it. I hope.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #15
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
If this happens after an unplug, try rebooting the Nook without doing anything else. It's actually put things back as expected for me. I leave my shelves as a list, and when I encounter the bug, the shelf will still show the correct number. Say it will show "5" when only 2 books are really visible.

Although if you pull the SD card for any reason from the nook, it will unshelve all the books that were on the SD card (the shelf count will go down), and you will have to reshelve them when you reinsert the card.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook, sdhc, shelves, troubleshooting