Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-05-2014, 03:37 AM   #1
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad mc7 16gig
need some help

My ipad 2 is not receiving books from the itunes library when I drag and drop or synch. Any ideas what the problem could be? It appears to go when I drag and drop ( the box appears and disappears) but nothing happens.
I need my next Repairman Jack fix and cannot get it across.yeowl..
chookie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is the GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM, and not the APPLE FORUM.

Please post responsibly.

Your thread has been moved to the Apple forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It could be all sorts of things. Are you trying to sync from a mac or a pc? What are the symptoms? When you connect your iPad to iTunes and look at the what's on this iPad, does the book show up there with a dotted circle?
For that matter, when you have your iPad connect to iTunes and you look at the books tab, is the book you want selected?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #4
chookie2
Connoisseur
chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chookie2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the response. Firstly please be patient with me I am not all that computer literate .
I am syncing from a pc
The symptoms are as stated , the books are all in itunes library and before now I simply dragged and dropped them into the ipad box that pops up when I pick them out. Now that still happens but the book does not move into the ipad at all. The ipad symbol in the pop up box is dark as normal not greyed out, but the word device above it is greyed out ( I have never really noticed if that is normal or not-sorry). I now have about 200 books waiting to cross over into my ipad but although itunes allows me to select and move them , nothing happens.Later I cannot selct them again so maybe they have gone somewhere but not into my ipad????

OK I just went into "on My Ipad" and found some of the books I moved greyed out in there ( I cannot do anything with them there at all) but they are not in the "books" list as on the ipad under the 'books' tab - just in this section where it says sync books and sync audiobooks and the missing books in a pane of images greyed out...the only books with a dotted circle on the ipad book list are some I previously deleted from ipad none that I tried to move are listed in 'books'. If I click on sync books it tells me it will delete all books on the ipad except these ones which I certainly do not want to do.I am lost .
Thanks for taking the time for me.

Last edited by chookie2; 09-06-2014 at 03:07 AM. Reason: added info
Old 09-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hum. I use a mac, so perhaps the iTunes for the PC is somewhat different. One thing to try is when you go to on My iPad, click on sync. Another thing to do is go to the book tab on the on my iPad and see what books are listed. I normally sync all my books, but you can select individual books on this tab. Then select sync and see what happens.

One thing that I've noticed can cause issues is when you get low on memory on your iPad and you don't have enough memory to sync.
Advert
Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
chookie2
Connoisseur

Thanks PWalker , my ipad memory is kept up above 50 per cent. Still have 4 gig spare room. Sync happens automatically when i connect and also do it manually when i transfer books ....new books are simply not getting into ipad library. I can get them in by emailing them to myself but not through itunes. I have too many to email but will begin with a few today, very frustrating. Am going to download Marvin and see if i can use that direjct through calibre instead of itunes. Otherwise it is email only ...sigh......thanks for trying.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
chookie2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is the GENERAL DISCUSSION FORUM, and not the APPLE FORUM.

Please post responsibly.

Your thread has been moved to the Apple forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Sorry Dr won't happen again newbie mistake.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookie2 View Post
Thanks PWalker , my ipad memory is kept up above 50 per cent. Still have 4 gig spare room. Sync happens automatically when i connect and also do it manually when i transfer books ....new books are simply not getting into ipad library. I can get them in by emailing them to myself but not through itunes. I have too many to email but will begin with a few today, very frustrating. Am going to download Marvin and see if i can use that direjct through calibre instead of itunes. Otherwise it is email only ...sigh......thanks for trying.
Try looking at the books tab in the on iPad when syncing in iTunes the PC. In the past, I've had issues where the sync all books box gets unchecked for some reason and the new books don't sync up.

With that said, I very much recommend Marvin. I use it for most of my reading now and use it in connection with Calibre. It's real nice being able to wirelessly download books rather than having to sync via the get books link.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I had the same problem on my iPad you describe, Chookie. Like you I used it with a Windows 7 computer.

It happened intermittently, perhaps more often after an update of iOS or iBook. And then it would fix itself. Have you tried powering your iPad off, and starting again?

Anyway, I traded my iPad2 in for a refurbished mini, and haven't had the problem since.

I second pwalker8's comment about Marvin. I think it's far and away a better ereader than iBooks.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chookie2 View Post
Thanks for the response. Firstly please be patient with me I am not all that computer literate .
I am syncing from a pc
The symptoms are as stated , the books are all in itunes library and before now I simply dragged and dropped them into the ipad box that pops up when I pick them out....

<snip>

OK I just went into "on My Ipad" and found some of the books I moved greyed out in there ( I cannot do anything with them there at all) but they are not in the "books" list as on the ipad under the 'books' tab - just in this section where it says sync books and sync audiobooks and the missing books in a pane of images greyed out...the only books with a dotted circle on the ipad book list are some I previously deleted from ipad none that I tried to move are listed in 'books'. If I click on sync books it tells me it will delete all books on the ipad except these ones which I certainly do not want to do.I am lost .
Thanks for taking the time for me.
What you are describing sounds very much as if you have somehow synced with a different itunes library. You can only be synced with one at a time. Did you happen to delete and reinstall at some point?

The other thing to keep in mind is that iTunes now stores books differently to how it used to.

Like the others, I would also recommend switching to marvin. However, if you want to persist with iBooks, it might be worthwhile accessing your calibre library (now cant remember if you have one, as I type) via its web interface in your iPad's browser. That way you can download and ""Open in iBooks"
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
chookie2
Connoisseur

Thank you everyone, i have taken the advice and downloaded Marvin XD, working well . Nothing i did changed the previous problem except if i emailed books to myself .
Re the above suggestions :
Powered down, checked all connections etc, have not logged another account so not that either. All previous books still in ipad library and current transfers in itunes, and have never deleted a library. It is simply the sync not working as all books get from Calibre to itunes library , i can see them all there....they just do not sync to ipad at all.
Sooooooo...........
Happy with Marvin and now have 260 books in his library so no "cold turkey" for my reading. Thanks everyone.
Cheers from Chookie

Last edited by chookie2; 09-08-2014 at 06:31 PM.