Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PerApp: Locking orientation and setting timeout and audio boost for selected apps

I needed to lock orientation for one particular app, and so I wrote a little app to do that. For good measure, I also allow it to adjust the screen timeout for different apps and to set audio boost for different apps (if you don't want the latter two features, just do menu | settings and turn them off).

Most e-reader apps do let you lock orientation, but this may be useful if you're using an app that doesn't.

To lock orientation for app X, select X from the list, choose "Orientation", and then click on "Lock". Then back out and put a checkmark beside "Activate"

You can also do the opposite: lock all apps except some selected ones. To do that, choose "Default" from the app list, "Orientation", "Lock", and then specifically unlock the app in question (I haven't tested this functionality).

The audio boost feature (like Volume+) needs Android 2.3+.

This is basically alpha quality (e.g., I kill a thread on deactivation by crashing it--not great, though it works), and test reports are welcome. And it's free and I plan for it to remain free.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Pretty cool I'll have to check it out. Thank you
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Way back when I first tried Overdrive (for library books), it couldn't lock orientation much to my chagrin, but they have added the feature since.

It's a cool idea though. Props
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a new, more stable, version at http://code.google.com/p/perapp

In particular, I no longer do the kludgy thread killing I mention in the first post, and hence it works on ICS.

If there are other per-app configuration options you'd like, let me know. Something I do have on my horizon is per-app CPU settings, but my motivation is low as my own Epic 4G Touch is unrooted (there isn't a way of rooting it that's both safe and legal as far as I can make out).

Last edited by pruss; 06-20-2012 at 10:12 AM.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote