Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
contemporary pdf and chm conversion to epub for kobo reader

I'm aware of multiple posts on the same subject during 2 years or so.
Since the calibre changes, and people having questions, I'd like to try
to place up to date technique in one topic on the forum.
As subject says, I'm in a process of getting kobo. Almost all books of
mine are in pdf or chm formats. Readings show zillions of ways people
convert their files. Some use pdftoword, then convert to html, then to
epub. Chm conversion seems to be even more headacheing. If the forum
has the will to stick contemporary approach, would be nice. I.e. one
way to convert pdf file without pictures, another with pictures. Inter-
medial steps etc. If not possible to fulfill in one application, what to use, especially what calibre originator thinks on the subject.
As a lot of posts are obsolete and point to old versions of software,
my idea is to make it high on the topic list with latest. for me, no biggy
if not possible to have it in one step.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Not sure about chm, but I thought 0.7 was supposed to have a new PDF conversion engine that works much better than the old one. It's still not perfect, since PDF is a terrible ebook format, but it's something anyway. You might try out a PDF conversion in 0.7 and see what happens.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
but I thought 0.7 was supposed to have a new PDF conversion engine that works much better than the old one.
There have been some improvements to pdf conversion, a big thorn for some folk happened when a word with LL converted as just L. This was due to the way ligatures were handled. This version of Calibre auto-converts ligatures for PDF input documents. But the "new PDF conversion engine" is still a work in progress.

Personally I have grown tired of trying to help out on PDF conversions. I can tell by looking at a PDF document whether it will convert to an ePub file to my satisfaction and I avoid like the plague all other PDFs.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-06-2010 at 05:43 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote