Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
eReaderPlanet
eReaderPlanet began at the beginning.

Device: none
eReader VS. eBook Reader

Hi all:

It seems that these electronic reading devices are either called "eReaders" or "eBook Readers". I've been doing a lot of research on the subject, and many of the technology blogs use the term "eReaders" or "e-readers", but there's more Web searches done on "eBook readers".

Which name do you think will eventually prevail?
eReaderPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
iReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by eReaderPlanet View Post
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi all:

It seems that these electronic reading devices are either called "eReaders" or "eBook Readers". I've been doing a lot of research on the subject, and many of the technology blogs use the term "eReaders" or "e-readers", but there's more Web searches done on "eBook readers".

I would like to publicly announce my unwavering support for a certain lupine member's tireless campaign to make eReader become the universal English language term for the devices that our French brothers and sisters across the pond call "liseuse".

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
I would like to publicly announce my unwavering support for a certain lupine member's tireless campaign to make eReader become the universal English language term for the devices that our French brothers and sisters across the pond call "liseuse".

- Ahi

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You're laughing, but I see no karma.

You know... it's fun to follow precedent!

- Ahi
Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
You're laughing, but I see no karma.

You know... it's fun to follow precedent!

- Ahi

Happy now?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:

- Ahi
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:

- Ahi
Although I am in agreement with this statement and fully support your viewpoint , I must, in all fairness, state the obvious. Ereader is a registered name for a digital reading software owned by Fictionwise. Therefore, it does get confusing for new users/members when people use the term "ereader" instead of ebook reader, liseuse, ereading device, etc. A poster might actually be referring to Fictionwise's software rather than a digital reading device. What we REALLY need is a campaign to get Fictionwise to change the name of their digital reading software.

Having said all that, Ahi, the incessant replay of ereader political correctness does get to be a bit annoying.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
eReaderPlanet
eReaderPlanet began at the beginning.

Being a new member, I guess I didn't know the forum's history on the subject.

One reason I tend to prefer eReader over eBook reader is that, eventually, I see these devices being used for much more than just books. Of course there are newspapers and magazines, but what about pictures, videos, Web pages etc? Maybe the term "reader" shouldn't even be included?
eReaderPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Being a new member, I guess I didn't know the forum's history on the subject.

One reason I tend to prefer eReader over eBook reader is that, eventually, I see these devices being used for much more than just books. Of course there are newspapers and magazines, but what about pictures, videos, Web pages etc? Maybe the term "reader" shouldn't even be included?
I think the only lupine-safe term for a device with such broad utility (which would necessarily have to use the only REAL eBook format) would be:

PDF-viewing eReader

---

Having said that, I think you are correct that eventually these devices will become more than devices for reading novels... but since such a change would only be realistically possible with a PDF base (I suspect sometimes referred to in hushed tones as "the coming of the antichrist"), contemplation of such a future is not oft pursued.

Personally, I do not feel any of the current candidates are viable or even worthy.

An imperfect but still more suitable name I propose (for the eventual devices whose usability is greatly expanded, but would primarily be used for reading both books and other materials):

datapad

- Ahi
Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Although I am in agreement with this statement and fully support your viewpoint , I must, in all fairness, state the obvious. Ereader is a registered name for a digital reading software owned by Fictionwise. Therefore, it does get confusing for new users/members when people use the term "ereader" instead of ebook reader, liseuse, ereading device, etc. A poster might actually be referring to Fictionwise's software rather than a digital reading device. What we REALLY need is a campaign to get Fictionwise to change the name of their digital reading software.

Having said all that, Ahi, the incessant replay of ereader political correctness does get to be a bit annoying.
It does fortuitously permit me to ride the waves of popular sentiment though! Which is great.

A lot like body-surfing, actually!

---

You are right in the serious portion of your post, though I would dare say "correct" uses of the term "eReader" are in a definite minority in contrast with the "incorrect" uses. That is, of course, if one is a prescriptivist... which I am generally, except when the prescription hails from a corporation. And if one is a descriptivist, than our beloved tomato-eating friend is becoming more and more wrong every day.

- Ahi
Old 08-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Let me jump in a little late with a new (but old) candidate for your consideration:

dynabook
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Lo Zeno
Addict
Lo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura aboutLo Zeno has a spectacular aura about

Device: Hanlin V3 (with lBook firmware & OpenInkPot)
Quote:
datapad
Being the huge Star Wars nerd that I am, I can only approve this term
Lo Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Liseuse all the way, baby. It has a certain panache to it, a sophistication that hints at long strolls by the riverside, cafe society and the growing of beards
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Liseuse all the way, baby. It has a certain panache to it, a sophistication that hints at long strolls by the riverside, cafe society and the growing of beards
I'll happily back liseuse but only if the growing of beards is optional. I don't have one, they don't suit me, and there's not much money to be made these days as a bearded lady anyway...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook readers, ereaders, liseuse