Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Non-Breaking Hyphen

Is there a way to place a non-breaking hyphen?

I've tried & #8209 ; and & #x2011 ; but Sigil converts them to a narrow black box. I've also tried alt+2011, but that becomes a wide black box.
DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
Is there a way to place a non-breaking hyphen?

I've tried & #8209 ; and & #x2011 ; but Sigil converts them to a narrow black box. I've also tried alt+2011, but that becomes a wide black box.
Are you sure that Sigil is "converting" them? It sounds more likely that these glyphs are simply not present in the font being used to display the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank
DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DTM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good point, Harry. Thank you. I should have thought of that.

As it turns out, both escape codes work, but display incorrectly in the Book View within Sigil. Both will work and display correctly in the Firefox ePub plug-in. (I use Bookman Old Style for the font.)

The Alt+2011 approach does not work, however. That's OK with me; I actually prefer to use the escape codes anyway.

Since it appears to be simply a font issue, is there a way to change the font in Sigil? That's been a minor issue for me, but this bumps the priority a bit.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Good point, Harry. Thank you. I should have thought of that.

As it turns out, both escape codes work, but display incorrectly in the Book View within Sigil. Both will work and display correctly in the Firefox ePub plug-in. (I use Bookman Old Style for the font.)

The Alt+2011 approach does not work, however. That's OK with me; I actually prefer to use the escape codes anyway.

Since it appears to be simply a font issue, is there a way to change the font in Sigil? That's been a minor issue for me, but this bumps the priority a bit.

There's a font folder in the Book Browser panel on the left of the box - does that not allow you to drop font files into it?

Right click on the word "font" and it allows you to 'add'.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

GeoffC, I assume that will embed the font in the ePub file. I'm not necessarily interested in doing that. I'm just looking for a way to change the font as displayed in Sigil.

I suppose I could embed a font while editing, then remove it at the end.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I must admit that was the only 'font' changing issue I managed to discover, even from the manual. There may be other ways that more savvy members may know, even Kovid is he's around ....

Although from the Wiki

Quote:
Sigil currently doesn't have official support for font embedding due to a bug in the Qt framework
Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Geoff, I think that DTM is asking how to change the font used by Sigil itself in its book editor, not the font that ends up in the eBook.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
GeoffC

Harry, I think that's the hint I gathered which is why I posted my last comment and said that the manual had no help on it .... the quote being the only reference I could find to 'font' .
Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

My apologies, Geoff; I misunderstood your post.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My apologies, Geoff; I misunderstood your post.
I doubt it ! It's probably my poor way of expressing things ....
Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I'm just looking for a way to change the font as displayed in Sigil.
Currently, no. The Book View uses whatever system font QtWebKit feels like using. But the Book View does perform font substitution, so if there's a font on your system capable of showing a needed character, it will use the glyph. It could be screwing things up though.

QtWebKit (which in turn is based on vanilla WebKit) used in Sigil is currently a year old since Qt 4.6 is a year old. Qt 4.7 is just around the corner, so when that lands, there will be a fair amount of bugfixes and improvements to Book View.

If the problem persists after Sigil migrates to Qt 4.7, create an issue on the tracker and I'll look into a workaround.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
DTM
Intentionally Left Blank

I have Bookman Old Style on my system, and it displays the NB hyphen correctly in Firefox, so it appears that there is some kind of issue there. We'll see what happens with Qt 4.7.

Thanks to all for your help!

P.S. to Valloric: Quite a while back, I filed an (ultimately rejected) issue about the handling of non-breaking spaces in the TOC. The use of the Title attribute in the headers now lets me deal with that nicely, along with some other useful capabilities. And so, a double thanks!