Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I put in a "Best Offer", and never heard back. I ended up buying a used v110 from another seller.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I put in a "Best Offer", and never heard back. I ended up buying a used v110 from another seller.
My offer was accepted ($90+shipping).
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Congrats! It looks like something I could love also. Will it be able to read ebooks pretty easily?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #19
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
That does look interesting. I'd consider getting one, but the cats would just pee on it.

The exact same thing happened when I got a pug dog.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:48 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

The exact same thing happened when I got a pug dog.
I can understand the cats, but why would you leave electronics down where a pug could pee on it?
Advert
Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Nate... I meant the cats peed on my pug dog....

Not that funny when you have to explain it.

Or possibly it was not funny from the start.

Hmmm...
Old 11-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #22
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
That does look interesting. I'd consider getting one, but the cats would just pee on it.
You should pee on it yourself. Beat them to it.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #23
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My offer was accepted ($90+shipping).
Drats. I used the "buy it now" option. Oh well, I thought it was a good price at $120.

Last edited by cyan; 11-25-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: removed icon.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #24
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
You should pee on it yourself. Beat them to it.
Oh cat pee is ever so much more corrosive. Especially the pee scented "spray" which is oily and very hard to remove. Amazingly acidic, that stuff.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Nate... I meant the cats peed on my pug dog....

Not that funny when you have to explain it.

Or possibly it was not funny from the start.

Hmmm...
It's very funny. I have a pug, and I can just picture it being peed on by cats.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Hopefully no one has bought a v110 yet. I would recommend that you avoid it unless you feel up to flashing a hacked ROM image.

The v100 runs a full WinCE 4.1; you need do nothing to use it as a PDA. The v110 and v150 (there may also be a v210) don't run the full WinCE 4.2. There is a complicated and risky hack you need to perform before you can get around the Remote Desktop Dashboard and access the underlying OS.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:29 AM   #27
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
I received the v100 the day before Thanksgiving and have been playing with it on and off.

Physically, the tablet has a nice weight for it's screen size. I found it more comfortable to hold it in landscape mode versus portrait mode.

Unfortunately, the v100 isn't powerful enough to do what I want.

1. PDF Files: I was hoping to read my Marvel comic book pdfs on it. The default PDFviewer didn't recognize the pdf file. Adobe Acrobat 2.0 wouldn't install. Acrobat opened up a minimized license window. The only thing I could do was close it. FoxIt was able to open the pdf file. However, it took roughly 30 seconds or more to turn a page. This was probably do to the fact, the pdf file was all images. I haven't tried any text only PDFs yet.

2. Mobipocket: 4.9 wouldn't install. 4.8 installed somewhat okay. It wouldn't open any of the books that came with it. It said it wasn't authorized to open this PID. I was able to open the Sherlock Holmes Omnibus that I downloaded from Mobiread. However, when I hit the rotate screen button to change from landscape to portrait, Mobipocket locked up. Afterward, it wouldn't start up again. Even reinstalling it didn't help. It also brought up an interesting problem. There doesn't seem to be a way to uninstall applications!

3. Microsoft Reader: Surprisingly this installed and worked with out any issues.

4. TCPMP: The processor wasn't fast enough to play the file that I had encoded for my 5th gen Ipod. Audio was fine; but, the video couldn't keep up.

5. HTML files: The built in IE 5.0 works well.

It looks like the v100 will be relegated to reading the HTML files that I don't want to convert for the sony reader. I still need to try a text only pdf file. That could work.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #28
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I found support pages for the Viewsonic Airpanels. They appear to be orphaned.

http://www.la.viewsonic.com/support/...l100/#features
Old 12-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

My v100 just got here. And my results are different from cyan's.

It is still on the initial charge, and I haven't tested everything that didn't work for cyan. But I have installed Mobipocket 4.9 and it worked just fine.

One odd thing I've noticed is that my v100 is running on WinCE 3.0. The support site says it's supposed to be running WinCE 4.1. Honestly, I'm happy that I got this version. I think it works better.

I'm going to try the PDF viewers and TCPMP later this evening.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I really like this gadget.

I couldn't get a PDF viewer to work. Fortunately, the v100 came with one (Primer). I found Primer to be adequate. I tested it with a bunch of different PDFs: 180MB, scanned image, compound image, complicated text+image. It only failed on one PDF (its own user's manual).

It also comes with an MP3 player, Powerpoint viewer, image viewer, spreadsheet program, MS Pocket Word, Jeode Java VM, and it even has a printer manager. Did I mention that it has USB Host (so you can plug in a USB printer)?

Shiny.
Closed Thread