Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
ncmabten
ncmabten began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Questions for Kindle users

Hello!

I have had a Kindle for a few months now and am anticipating the arrival of my next one soon. I have only purchased e-books from Amazon at this point. I was wondering how other users of the Kindle and Calibre handle their files. I was hoping to ask a few questions and would greatly appreciate any insight.

My main goal is to correct/enhance some shoddy e-books (Correct inaccurate title/author info, fix formatting errors, maybe even correct typos). From what I have gleaned this is possible with Calibre's editing features. Am I correct? Does anyone else use Calibre for this purpose?

If I understand correctly, Calibre does not read/write in the .azw format. In this case, does anyone buy from Amazon, then add them to your Calibre library, then return them to the Kindle in another format? Would you recommend this? Are their any disadvantages to doing so?

Thanks in advance for any information
ncmabten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool some answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmabten View Post
Hello!

I have had a Kindle for a few months now and am anticipating the arrival of my next one soon. I have only purchased e-books from Amazon at this point. I was wondering how other users of the Kindle and Calibre handle their files. I was hoping to ask a few questions and would greatly appreciate any insight.

My main goal is to correct/enhance some shoddy e-books (Correct inaccurate title/author info, fix formatting errors, maybe even correct typos). From what I have gleaned this is possible with Calibre's editing features. Am I correct? Does anyone else use Calibre for this purpose?

If I understand correctly, Calibre does not read/write in the .azw format. In this case, does anyone buy from Amazon, then add them to your Calibre library, then return them to the Kindle in another format? Would you recommend this? Are their any disadvantages to doing so?

Thanks in advance for any information
first off, calibre handles non-drmed azw files (i convert them to mobi, which the kindle reads just fine). there are ways to un-drm an azw file and most all of the free selections from amazon are not drmed.

the method i use to re-format is convert the file with calibre to either rtf or txt, then load it into open office writer. the kindle doesn't pay any attention to tabs so i remove them and any extra (paragraph mark with nothing else) 'enter' characters between paragraphs as well. then i highlight the entire file contents then select the 'format' menu then choose the 'paragraph' setting. i set the 'first line' indent to 0.20 and the 'below paragraph' spacing to 0.10. i do some other stuff for my aesthetic pleasure and then save the file in odt format and import it into caliber and convert it to mobi.

hope this helps
--
Alan
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
ncmabten

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I knew they had DRM (and knew this when I opted for the Kindle), I guess I should have figured they'd be locked down pretty tight.

I assume even the less ambitious of my intentions with the books, such as simply correcting Author and Title info (discrepancies in the way a series is titled when published by multiple sources for example) are not even possible then?
Old 08-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I believe Calibre will let you edit the metadata for DRM files. Someone with more Calibre experience can say for sure.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool sure you can

Quote:
Ah ok, thanks for the info. I knew they had DRM (and knew this when I opted for the Kindle), I guess I should have figured they'd be locked down pretty tight.

I assume even the less ambitious of my intentions with the books, such as simply correcting Author and Title info (discrepancies in the way a series is titled when published by multiple sources for example) are not even possible then?
sure you can, that's in the metadata which calibre can edit.
--
Alan
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
ncmabten

Aha, and would changing the meta-data in Calibre allow it display to my liking on the Kindle? Would this include the cover?
Old 08-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool good question

Quote:
Aha, and would changing the meta-data in Calibre allow it display to my liking on the Kindle? Would this include the cover?
good question, since i don't have any azw files (i convert them all to mobi) on my kindle, i don't know. i suspect you'll find out easily enough though.
--
Alan
Old 08-14-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
ncmabten

Ah ok, thanks very much for your help I don't know why but pulling the trigger on this makes me nervous! lol
Old 08-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Decided to test this. I sent two Amazon books to my Kindle, moved them from my Kindle to my Desktop, added them to Calibre, changed Title and Author and sent them back to my Kindle. In both cases the Metadata changes were preserved. As far as I know both files had DRM, one was a non-self-published freebie and one was a book I purchase just a couple days ago.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:57 AM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Decided to test this. I sent two Amazon books to my Kindle, moved them from my Kindle to my Desktop, added them to Calibre, changed Title and Author and sent them back to my Kindle. In both cases the Metadata changes were preserved. As far as I know both files had DRM, one was a non-self-published freebie and one was a book I purchase just a couple days ago.
the op also asked about a cover change, i don't think that'll work as in my experience a cover change requires a convert to work in the device. did you try a different cover?
--
Alan
Old 08-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #11
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
the op also asked about a cover change, i don't think that'll work as in my experience a cover change requires a convert to work in the device. did you try a different cover?
--
Alan
No, I missed that. Let me check.

The first book didn't have a real cover for some reason, but the generic Calibre cover copied over and displays fine.

Last edited by carld; 08-14-2010 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool pulling the trigger

Quote:
Ah ok, thanks very much for your help I don't know why but pulling the trigger on this makes me nervous! lol
i hate to appear dense, but 'pulling the trigger on' what?

you're welcome.
--
Alan
Old 08-14-2010, 02:13 AM   #13
ncmabten

Thanks very much both of you!!

Just meant pulling the trigger on Calibre-izing my library. No particular reason, and yes I realize that is very neurotic lol
Old 08-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #14
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool 'Calibre-ize'

Quote:
Thanks very much both of you!!

Just meant pulling the trigger on Calibre-izing my library. No particular reason, and yes I realize that is very neurotic lol
copy your current kindle contents to your computer. then if you 'Calibre-ize' and aren't happy with it you can simply copy the stuff from your computer back to your kindle and you're back where you started.
--
Alan
Old 08-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #15
ncmabten

OK, last question I swear

It is not possible to correct formatting issues or typos without removing/violating the DRM then, correct?