Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
Kindle DX-Highlights & “My Clippings” file

Hi and thanks for reading my post,

I have been researching DX and if I understand correctly, your highlights are stored in “My Clippings” (a txt file) and you can transfer this file to PC (e.g. via USB). Is that correct, pls?

Also, presume I have a pdf with highlights on DX. I can transfer it to the PC and I can transfer the highlights (see above), but i don't think that there is a way to transfer the pdf with the highlights visible on my PC, right?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help

PH
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Hi,

Yeah, like the K2, your notes and highlights (also last page read) is stored in an mbp, which attaches the notes and highlights to your books, and ALSO those notes and highlights are stored in the My Clippings file.

It is a text document that you can transfer via USB to your computer and make copies of/add to/copy and paste, info from.

As for a PDF.... depending on what kind of PDF it is, you might want to convert it via Calibre or some other kind of conversion software, to use on the Kindle. As it is right now, you can't make highlights on a PDF on the Kindle. You can only bookmark pages. If you convert the PDF then you'll be able to make notes and highlight, and then you'd be able to transfer the notes stored in the My Clippings file onto your computer.

Hope this helped!
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
First, unless it changed in the 2.5 update, you cannot highlight in a PDF file.

For regular Kindle files, the main storage for highlights, bookmarks, and notes, is in the .mbp file that matches the .azw file. An extra copy is placed in the "My Clippings.txt" file, which you can copy to your pc, and use as you wish.

If you need to highlight things in a pdf, if the format is not too fancy, you can convert it to a Kindle file (.mobi). Then, you can highlight things.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,

thank you both very much for your time and kind answers.

I actually don't need to view/highlight pdfs but word documents. The DX manual made me believe, you need to convert everything to a .pdf for Kindle, so that is why I used it in my example. I admit I am rather dissappointed that you can't highlight .pdfs in such an expensive device as DX It still has a very nice screen though so I am not giving up on it yet.

So if I convert my documents into .azw (mobi), could I transfer them easily to the DX via USB cable (not the wireless service)? If I understand it right, then all my notes, bookmarks and highlights to, say, "mydocument.azw" will be stored in a "mydocument.mpb" as well as in "My clippings.txt" and I should be able to move them all (.azw, .mpb and "My clippings.txt") to my PC via the USB cable. Is that correct, pls?

Many thanks in advance!!

PH
Old 06-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelh View Post
Hi,

thank you both very much for your time and kind answers.

I actually don't need to view/highlight pdfs but word documents. The DX manual made me believe, you need to convert everything to a .pdf for Kindle, so that is why I used it in my example. I admit I am rather dissappointed that you can't highlight .pdfs in such an expensive device as DX It still has a very nice screen though so I am not giving up on it yet.

So if I convert my documents into .azw (mobi), could I transfer them easily to the DX via USB cable (not the wireless service)? If I understand it right, then all my notes, bookmarks and highlights to, say, "mydocument.azw" will be stored in a "mydocument.mpb" as well as in "My clippings.txt" and I should be able to move them all (.azw, .mpb and "My clippings.txt") to my PC via the USB cable. Is that correct, pls?

Many thanks in advance!!

PH

Yes, if you convert your documents to mobi format, you can transfer them via USB cable, OR you can have amazon send it wirelessly to your Kindle, (though that will cost you about ten cents/depending on the size of the file, they do have to pay AT&T for it).

Then, all your notes, highlights and last page read info will be stored in the mydocument .mpb in addition to the My Clippings text file. You will be able to move all those files to your computer via USB and access them there.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
pavelh
Zealot

My humble thanks for your kind help, Anarel!

Best regards,

PH