Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 10-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #1
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Reflowing PDF

Some free utilities:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml/

http://www.nzdl.org/html/prescript.html (python-based)

pstotext

ps2ascii

ps2html

ps2a.sh

I wonder, could mobilereaders tell about its experiences with these packages? Quality and Speed considerations are important, because it seems that some people wants a reflow package in their own ereader, not in the PC.

Last edited by arivero; 10-26-2006 at 02:11 PM.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftohtml/

I wonder, could mobilereaders tell about its experiences with these packages? Quality and Speed considerations are important, because it seems that some people wants a reflow package in their own ereader, not in the PC.
pdftohtml doesn't really do a good job. The tests that I did resulted in a file that required lots of editing to reflow the text - and more to make it pleasant to read.

XPDF's pdftotext did a better job on the tagged PDFs I created, but editing was still needed. On regular PDFs, it did just as good (or, bad) a job as pdftohtml.

Knowing the nature of PDFs, don't think that you will ever find a utility that will let you reflow a PDF or convert a PDF into something else. PDF was designed to prevent both.

Now, when I see support for tagged PDFs, I might change my belief, but until then, PDFs remain a "page layout" format - not an eBook format.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert