Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #61
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Opus looks jagged whereas the 505 looks a lot smoother. Is this really the case or is this just because the photo enlargens the screen of the Opus?
It's because I enlarge the photo.
I'll take a snapshot, Sony 505 next to Opus right ahead.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
That would be nice to see. Thanks very much.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #63
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cybook Opus, changing font sizes:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06755.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	869.2 KB
ID:	33471   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06754.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	851.7 KB
ID:	33472   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06752.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	832.7 KB
ID:	33473  

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-01-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #64
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Sony 505:

I used (more or less) the same camera angle and zoom, changed the font size as well.

Pretty obvious: Cybook Opus is significantly faster in turning pages. Maybe because there's less information per page? Or just a faster processor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06753.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	852.7 KB
ID:	33476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06756.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	829.9 KB
ID:	33477  

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-01-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Opus has a faster processor then the 505. So rendering will be faster for the Opus.
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #66
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
I love it!

I too received my Opus on Friday. I used to have a Sony 505 which I returned because I just didn't like it and the text faded out in direct sunlight.

I love my Opus. I find it so much better to actually use - there is more emphasis on the screen and less on the surround. I feel drawn to the screen and the printed word in a way I never did with the Sony. It also works fine in sunlight!

I was also pleased that it worked straight away on my Mac and ADE saw it as a new bookshelf and allowed me to authorise it. Books I purchased from online ebookstores like Waterstones and Booksonboard worked flawlessly, even though Waterstones CS tried to tell me that their ebooks would only work with the Sony Reader.

I like the pouch, although I would love a leather version. I found the Sony book-style covers to be cumbersome. It is something I had discovered with my iPhone too. My initial desire was to have a case to keep on the iPhone at all times, then I began to realise how nice the iPhone is naked, and the perfect solution was to buy a nice leather pouch. This works really well - you get the ergonomics the designers intended, yet you have the protection the device needs when being carried around.

The internal memory 1GB - more than enough for a huge number of books so I can't see me bothering with a micro sd card.

I have a cheap white iPhone charger I bought on eBay - cost me around £3 - which works perfectly with the Opus.

All in all I am pleased with my purchase. I do think it was too expensive for what it is, but as an early-adopter I am used to paying a premium!
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
I like the pouch, although I would love a leather version. I found the Sony book-style covers to be cumbersome. It is something I had discovered with my iPhone too. My initial desire was to have a case to keep on the iPhone at all times, then I began to realize how nice the iPhone is naked, and the perfect solution was to buy a nice leather pouch. This works really well - you get the ergonomics the designers intended, yet you have the protection the device needs when being carried around.
But without a proper cover, the Opus is at more risk of damage if you drop it. That is why we have the covers. I have a 505 and I find the cover actually helps me hold it one handed when I read. I have dropped my 505 and the the cover has protected it. I would not want any eink device with a glass screen that does not have a cover. The risk of damage is too great. This is a major issue (IMHO) and should be address ASAP. I don't think any company selling eink readers now should sell without a cover. A sleeve might be ok for carrying it around, but since you have to take the reader out of the sleeve, it's just a no go and a really bad idea.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #68
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
I accept your argument, but for me it is like having plastic on a sofa to keep it in good condition. So what if there a small risk of dropping it? I'm not happy about losing out on the ergonomics just is case I might drop it (the ebook reader, that is, not the sofa;-)). That's what I have insurance for!

As I explained, I have come to this conclusion over a long period of time. I now find protective cases a nuisance and they detract from the user experience - whether it be cameras, sofas, phones, computers, whatever. For me a case if for protection while the item is not being used.

I must admit, it was quite a step for me to dispense with the protective case concept but I am pleased I did because i enjoy using my devices in the way they were intended so much more.. The Opus just feels like a tablet and is delightful to use as it is.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 PM   #69
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Do you have the embolden feature?

It sound like the font is to thin for the size of the letters.
Just compared to Cybook Gen3.
Gen3: Menu "layout". "Emboldened text".
There definitely is NO SUCH MENU on Cybook Opus.
Maybe it will be available for the Mobipocket version, but not for the ePUB one?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #70
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Well, I may have to confirm your experience. I've sent an email to their support yesterday at 6 pm.
It was about not seeing the Micro SD card in ADE, only the internal memory.
So far, no response. Not even confirmation about having received the email.
UPDATE: Sent the email on July 31st around 6pm.
On August 3rd 5:45pm: No feedback yet, not even any confirmation mail.

Last edited by mgmueller; 08-03-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #71
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
So could you try comics on the thing? .. Landscape mode is probably what's most usable.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 AM   #72
Soc-psychologist
Soc-psychologist began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Cybook Opus, N91
Quote:
Originally Posted by klikklak View Post
So could you try comics on the thing? .. Landscape mode is probably what's most usable.
I have tried. Works fine.

--Michael
Soc-psychologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #73
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soc-psychologist View Post
I have tried. Works fine.

--Michael
Do you really think so?
My opinion:
PDFs are zoomed, not reflowed.
Okay, for Comics that makes sense. It's mainly about the drawings, but the text in bubbles should be readable as well of course.
I've tried the daily Garfield and Dilbert strips. In my opinion, the display simply is too small.
You can zoom and pan the respective area. But that totally eliminates the "feeling" of comics for me.
I don't want to check the drawing and then separately read the text.
For me, this simply would mean a bigger display. I didn't like those strips on Sony 505 as well. So, for me, it's not specifically about Cybook Opus.
I still very much prefer iRex iLiad's zooming feature for any kind of PDFs.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #74
Soc-psychologist
Soc-psychologist began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Cybook Opus, N91
Quote:
Do you really think so?
I still very much prefer iRex iLiad's zooming feature for any kind of PDFs.
I think the main problem with your Opus actually is that you compare a device that was intended especially to be small and portable to a device that was not. Taking into account the size and other restrictions that naturally follow from a device that size, it is an excellent piece of machinery in many ways.

Obviously you are not going to be satisfied with your screwdriver if you are using it on nails. Same with Opus. It is a small device with a very affordable price. Something that Iliad really really really is not. I've converted some really old comics using Calibre and the end result has been more then what I could've hoped for. Obviously ORIGINAL .pcr fileformatted comics would be ideal. I'm not even very sure if making a reflowable comic.pdf's would be possible? I think it would require pretty advanced programming skills and a much sturdier processor from the Opus or what have you.

--Michael
Soc-psychologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #75
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
so mgmueller, you don't think comics are _readable_ (as in the text), even on landscape mode, showing half of the page at a time? And soc-psych, what type of comics did you try? regular magazine strips? .. paperback book size comics, like manga, is what I'm interested in most. I don't think 2000ad or other a4 size magazines would work that well.
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybook, opus